General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Greens? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-13 10:23 AM

User image

Stillman Valley, Illinois
Subject: Greens?
Aside from the obvious here, as in a salad, how do you all consume them. MY diet is pretty rounded aside from greens. I seem to have a difficult time keeping spinach and romaine on hand and fresh in the fridge. I did freeze some and stick some in my post workout shake every once in a while but usually use frozen fruit. It seems as though kale and collard greens are more hearty but I don't care for kale alone in salad form.

I am looking to eat these at work for lunch, and am curious to know if any of you have some easy to keep, easy to prepare, ideas or recipes to acquire your greens.

Thanks Chris

2015-08-14 7:19 AM
in reply to: cwiehle0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Greens?
Not sure if you'll find this palatable for lunch, but I like to stir-fry the tougher, deep-green ones like kale, collard greens, or Shanghai bok choy in a little olive oil. I cook them until parkway done, then add water and cover so they finish up steaming. Usually I saute a little garlic and/or ginger in the pan before adding the greens, and sometimes use chicken broth or cooking wine and a little salt and pepper for seasoning. I still find they are good cold the next day.....not sure others would, though. When I cook for my veggie-averse parents, I sometimes sweeten the deal by adding a little bacon at the stir-frying stage (before the garlic and greens). The latter is especially good with more bitter stuff like collard greens.

There's also a Japanese side dish I really like that I've been trying to replicate--Chinese greens or spinach sautéed (I think) in a very small amount of oil, then they add a little sesame oil for flavor, sometimes also bonito (tuna) flakes. There's a similar dish served in Chinese places with a little oyster sauce, but they often use sturdier, more strongly flavored greens like gai lan (Chinese broccoli??). What I can't figure out is if the greens are in fact sautéed or just steamed--they don't seem at all greasy. These two dishes are always served cold, usually as a side dish with noodles, so they might be a nice alternative to a lunch salad or hot veggie.
2015-08-14 11:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Stillman Valley, Illinois
Cool, can't wait to try this. I bought a big bag of collard greens this weekend (I don't remember ever eating them, as they are not very popular in the north) and took them for lunch raw. Not good! I will definitely try sauteeing them like you mentioned.
2015-08-15 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's one of the best things about southern Vietnamese food--people are really into greens and there's this huge variety. Some are served cooked and others (usually small, strongly-flavored ones like mint and cilantro) raw as garnishes for noodle dishes (and not in the Western sense of garnish--a lot of locals put in a good full serving!) I've cooked greens whose names I don't even know! A lot are quite strongly flavored, like collard and turnip greens in the south. Maybe due to similar climate to the southeastern US. We also have Chinese greens and some "Western" stuff like spinach and kale. You'd have to try really hard to get your hands on something boring like iceberg lettuce. My default approach to mystery greens involves a little olive oil, garlic, and cooking wine, and sometimes a bit of chicken broth power or salt.
2015-09-09 11:37 AM

A few preparations that will keep well for 2-3 days:

http://kanakoskitchen.com/2009/10/16/ohitashi/
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/saut%C3%A9ed-greens-garlic

The second recipe is actually adaptable; I prefer to caramelize onions in a pan, then add mushrooms/squash/eggplant, then add greens at the very end. If the water content of the vegetables you're using is high you can just throw in the greens at the end, turn off the heat and cover for 5-7 minutes. You might need to mix once or twice. That just lets the greens wilt and they won't lose color.

If you are taking fully-grown kale as a salad, I agree that's unpalatable. I recommend the "baby" kale salad greens, more tender and delicate. They also work well in omelets and other dishes as a replacement for spinach.
2015-09-22 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I normally eat one of these Bistro ready-pac salads for lunch during the week.  

http://www.readypac.com/product-category/bistro/

They're usually $3.99 at my local Publix and they have them on special 3 / $10 every few weeks.

I'm on Coumadin so I have to be careful about my intake of greens as their vitamin K content counters the anticoagulation effect of the tCoumadin.  That's particularly true of kale, spinach, and collard greens.   Eating prepackaged salads makes it easier for me to be consistent in my green intake which in turn makes it easier to regulate my Coumadin dosage.

Mark

2015-09-22 6:56 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I start every day with a green smoothie - kale, chard or beet greens are a major portion of my smoothie along with banana, another fruit (mango or blueberry) and some protein/omegas (chia, hemp, flax). I make a week's worth on the weekend and freeze them so the greens are fresh and I don't have to worry about making it in the morning when I'm not always crisp. You could easily pack a smoothie in with your lunch, which I have done from time to time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Greens? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

powdered greens go bad?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 11910 Posts: 3

2013-12-22 11:57 AM MuscleMomma

Too much green tea?

Started by inspiration
Views: 1846 Posts: 10

2011-02-03 7:45 PM inspiration

Anyone else addicted to superfood/green food drinks???

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1757 Posts: 11

2008-03-28 8:12 PM goobergirl98

Greens+

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 987 Posts: 6

2006-06-29 11:10 AM Comet

green tea

Started by tritank
Views: 1293 Posts: 13

2006-01-27 8:46 AM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?