General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No goggles in Lake OWS? Newbie question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-16 2:18 PM

Subject: No goggles in Lake OWS? Newbie question
We had a practice swim for my very first tri (sprint) next week (the actual course). It is in a small lake with limited in-water visibility. My goggles fogged up instantly which caused me to be more tentative than I otherwise would have been and bugged the heck out of me. When I lifted my head to sight the buoy, it was very difficult to see. The swim is very short (only 400M) and won't take me long (5:47 in practice this morning) and I'm used to, and comfortable swimming in lakes without goggles. I've never had any issues opening my eyes under water. Given the short distance and little time, I'm seriously considering ditching the goggles for this race.

Foggy goggles are a problem in the pool for me also but the fogginess doesn't impact me nearly as much in the pool. I use anti-fog spray and Johnson's baby shampoo - both of work to some degree but neither last very long. I could anti-fog the goggles right before the race but if it doesn't work... I should also note that my goggles are blue tint which works fine in the pool but probably doesn't help matters in the OWS. I could go buy some new clear goggles which should help with both seeing better and the fogging but I'm hesitant to buy new goggles now as I won't have a chance to test them in the lake.

Thoughts? Anybody else not use goggles or is this just crazy talk? :-)

2015-08-16 4:19 PM
in reply to: stipey169

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Subject: RE: No goggles in Lake OWS? Newbie question

You should expect the glare from the sun to be an issue. I like my tinted goggles for OWS races. The only thing I use on my goggles is spit. Never had an issue in OWS with foggy goggles. Bottom line, do what you are comfortable doing.
2015-08-16 7:20 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Rub a little shampoo in your goggles. When you get to the water rinse them out and put them on. You shouldn't have any fog for about an hour. If you have baby shampoo use that instead. I just use whatever I take with me to the pool to shower off with after. I find that this works WAY better than spitting in them and then rinsing.
2015-08-16 8:13 PM
in reply to: #5135213

User image

Franklin, TN
I find that new goggles make a difference. I still use baby shampoo but it seems to work better on newer goggles.

You don't need to wear goggles for a 400 meter swim BUT they do offer eye protection (in case you get a kick to the face) and offer better visibility (if you use dark ones) if you're swimming toward the sun.
2015-08-16 8:33 PM
in reply to: #5135260

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lick the inside of your goggles. It really works.
2015-08-16 9:12 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I do the baby shampoo thing at the pool and it does seem to work fairly well. I didn't do it this morning. I just wish I had one more try before race day to make sure it works.

2015-08-16 10:20 PM
in reply to: #5135263

Are your goggles expensive? If they aren't working for you in the race, just push them up on your cap. If you lose them, no biggie.
2015-08-17 6:04 AM
in reply to: MMW37

Originally posted by MMW37

Are your goggles expensive? If they aren't working for you in the race, just push them up on your cap. If you lose them, no biggie.

I was actually considering that. Or, putting them on my arm.
2015-08-17 6:42 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by stipey169

Originally posted by MMW37

I was actually considering that. Or, putting them on my arm.

I would try the soap + this. I wouldn't start without them.
2015-08-17 7:46 AM

Are the goggles new? If so, sometimes the manufacturer will treat them with a temporary protective coating to protect them during shipment/storage, and to make them look more presentable on the shelf. Before using them the first time, clean the goggles with warm water and toothpaste, which is a mild abrasive that won't scratch the glass. I've been a scuba diver for a long time, and this is ESSENTIAL with dive masks.
2015-08-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by dpd3672 Are the goggles new? If so, sometimes the manufacturer will treat them with a temporary protective coating to protect them during shipment/storage, and to make them look more presentable on the shelf. Before using them the first time, clean the goggles with warm water and toothpaste, which is a mild abrasive that won't scratch the glass. I've been a scuba diver for a long time, and this is ESSENTIAL with dive masks.
I also use toothpaste, we have a los of those small  regular Crest samples the dentist gives out and I keep a tube in the goggle case.

2015-08-17 5:13 PM
in reply to: Donto

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by dpd3672 Are the goggles new? If so, sometimes the manufacturer will treat them with a temporary protective coating to protect them during shipment/storage, and to make them look more presentable on the shelf. Before using them the first time, clean the goggles with warm water and toothpaste, which is a mild abrasive that won't scratch the glass. I've been a scuba diver for a long time, and this is ESSENTIAL with dive masks.
I also use toothpaste, we have a los of those small  regular Crest samples the dentist gives out and I keep a tube in the goggle case.

Do you regularly use toothpaste or just when you first get them to get the initial coating off?

One of the guys that does Masters Swimming with me lives on the lake where the tri is and has agreed to host some of us to swim there a couple of times this week. This will give me at least one more chance to try out some of these things.
2015-08-17 6:39 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by stipey169
Originally posted by Donto

Do you regularly use toothpaste or just when you first get them to get the initial coating off? One of the guys that does Masters Swimming with me lives on the lake where the tri is and has agreed to host some of us to swim there a couple of times this week. This will give me at least one more chance to try out some of these things.
I start using the toothpaste once the fogging becomes an issue. Once I start using it's usually good for 2-3 swims then I repeat.

2015-08-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: #5135282

User image

For me it's this:
Dip goggles in water, shake them out, spit in them, rub it in with my finger, dip them back in the water, shake them out, don and swim up to an hour fog free.

If I don't spit in them, I get about 10 minutes tops and can't see anything.
2015-08-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: tjones2k9

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I swam about a mile in the lake this morning. I did the spit thing and got about 1/4 of the way before they started fogging up a bit. I'm going to do what I do when I swim indoor and that is use baby shampoo. That should get me through 400M. If it is really bad, I can take a second on the turnaround to clear them for the 2nd half (the course is basically an up and back).

I did the last 1/4 mile sans goggles and determined that even with the goggles partly foggy, I'm more comfortable with them than without. I'm glad was able to do another OWS before the race -- it is a different animal than the pool for sure.
2015-08-19 8:08 PM

User image

I swim without goggles in open water all the time. Have always been able to open my eyes underwater no problem even in chlorine for shorter distances. The one thing that bothers me in open water without my goggles is contact with the weed growth. Many lakes have fast growing weeds that closer to the shoreline can brush up against your eyeballs and cause irritation. So that is the reason I would wear goggles - - not for sighting, not for kicks in the face (that has never happened to me and I think that is rare) but because of the natural obstacles that can pop up in the water that you might want to protect yourself against.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No goggles in Lake OWS? Newbie question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie to Newbie - Practice OWS

Started by TTom
Views: 1318 Posts: 5

2014-06-13 8:59 AM MikeD1

goggles & wetsuit question from a newbie

Started by jkortas
Views: 1724 Posts: 18

2009-01-27 11:52 AM wannakona

Wounds + Lake OWS = 2 questions

Started by Bripod
Views: 3889 Posts: 14

2008-08-29 3:22 PM Rad-Onc PA

swim goggles newbie question

Started by kurt5134
Views: 1186 Posts: 6

2008-08-16 7:59 AM shellabree

Goggles on OVER or UNDER cap in OWS?

Started by getsome
Views: 663 Posts: 10

2006-08-28 1:16 PM McFuzz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!