Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Costa Rican car rental Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-17 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Costa Rican car rental

I am traveling to Costa Rica in January for a vacation.  I plan on driving around the country and am wondering if any of you have any recommendations for car rental places?  I currently have a reservation with Alamo in the tune of about $700 for a 4x4. 

I'm set on the insurances - I can get the CDW thru my Amex.  Just wondering if anyone has had a positive experience with any other car rental (or negative!).  A 4x4 is a must.  I plan on being a little adventurous.

2015-08-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Costa Rican car rental
Check ahead to make sure Alamo down there isn't a locally owned separate entity. I discovered that Avis in Cozumel is independently operated and the Avis name means nada. Make sure your Amex coverage will satisfy the Alamo office in CR. I discovered this when I had a small issue with the office in Cozumel and complained a bit in the post rental survey i was sent after the trip. Avis called me and explained that there really wasn't any way they could make the Avis down there function differently. They apologized and sent me three $25 coupons for my troubles though,
2015-08-18 9:19 AM

User image

Oakville

My wife and I went to Costa Rica in February and rented a car from Alamo at the San Jose airport.  Very good experience, but be prepared to pay the additional insurance even if your credit card otherwise covers it.

I did a little investigation beforehand so wasn't caught offguard, but there is a mandatory requirement to buy a minimum level of insurance which you can't waive or substitute with credit card coverage.

Also, we ended up buying the bumper to bumper coverage for an extra $50 or so and glad I did.  We had two huge scratches in our car for the 1 week we travelled.

2015-08-18 11:57 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro

Rented a 4x4 something from Adobe Rental in Costa Rica. Picked up in San Jose and returned to Liberia airport.

Opted for the insurance, because I'd rather fork over some money than attempt to deal with potential other issues. It also came with a cell phone and a few minutes, which was nice to have.

Also, GET THE GPS. Worth every penny. Roads aren't labeled. My favorite shot of my GPS... the road is called "road":

2015-08-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Rented a 4x4 something from Adobe Rental in Costa Rica. Picked up in San Jose and returned to Liberia airport.

Opted for the insurance, because I'd rather fork over some money than attempt to deal with potential other issues. It also came with a cell phone and a few minutes, which was nice to have.

Also, GET THE GPS. Worth every penny. Roads aren't labeled. My favorite shot of my GPS... the road is called "road":

Agree, definitely go for the GPS.  I printed some fairly detailed maps to get us from the San Jose airport to Arenal Volcano the first night.  They were useless and we would have been lost in about 1/2 an hour.  Absolutely opt for the GPS.  

2015-08-18 6:00 PM

User image

Damn, I know you say you want to rent, but you can get around WAY cheaper even going shared vans (or even a private shuttle depending).  The tourist infrastructure is well set up and pretty much anywhere you want to go has a hared van or a ferry or a bus....  On the other hand the roads are universally crr@p 

Just my ,02, i know you probably want to drive around yourself, 

2015-08-19 8:24 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by ChrisM

Damn, I know you say you want to rent, but you can get around WAY cheaper even going shared vans (or even a private shuttle depending).  The tourist infrastructure is well set up and pretty much anywhere you want to go has a hared van or a ferry or a bus....  On the other hand the roads are universally crr@p 

Just my ,02, i know you probably want to drive around yourself, 

While it's true you can get around, not to the places I am staying.  They're aren't as many public transportation options.  I also want the freedom to visit what I want when I want.  I am going very off the path on this trip.  I'm expecting the roads to be udder crap, I'm okay with it.  I haven't driven in Latin America, but I have been a passenger!  It should be fun.

You guys are right though I think it's best to just pony up some extra cash for the piece of mind.  The premium CDW is just about $300 extra. 

Definitely getting a GPS.  Has anyone brought theirs?  I have one, obviously I would have to download the Costa Rican maps.

2015-08-19 9:37 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Sounds like an awesome trip dude. I hope you do a write up with some pictures afterwards. I love the idea of renting a jeep and going off the beaten path. Yea definitely make sure you download the proper maps. I went into canada with my gps and it went crazy on me. I just assumed it would have canada, but nope.

2015-08-19 10:22 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Originally posted by trijamie

Sounds like an awesome trip dude. I hope you do a write up with some pictures afterwards. I love the idea of renting a jeep and going off the beaten path. Yea definitely make sure you download the proper maps. I went into canada with my gps and it went crazy on me. I just assumed it would have canada, but nope.

Ha but judging by that picture I can see directions begin something like

Turn Up on road in about 10Km or so....

I've done a fair share of driving in Canada.  It would be much worse getting lost there!  At least in Costa Rica Its much smaller to Borders/Ocean!.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Costa Rican car rental Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Low cost car rentals for one-way trips?!?!?

Started by lkct01234
Views: 909 Posts: 4

2012-05-01 7:24 PM TriSte

Company Car vs Monthly Car Allowance Pages: 1 2

Started by famelec
Views: 12782 Posts: 34

2011-03-21 11:47 AM Aarondb4

Anyone used Priceline for car rental?

Started by MomX3
Views: 1642 Posts: 15

2009-07-07 10:28 AM jldicarlo

Rental car in Europe