Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Participation Trophy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-08-18 7:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Participation Trophy?

Originally posted by TriJedi Kids know w the difference between earning a "winner's" trophy and one for participation. And each will take the trophy for what it is worth based on their own individual personality and competitiveness. As with most things in youth sports, parents/adults make it a bigger deal than it is.

Judging from the people I supervise these days, that's absolutely NOT true.....In my mind it's not even arguable. 

"I've been here 5 years, 5 years is the minimum for promotion, I deserve to be promoted".......here's your trophy, stupid.

Where else would that attitude come from?  You really can't deny where.....it's simple. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-18 8:02 PM

2015-08-18 8:04 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Veteran
Minnesota
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriJedi Kids know w the difference between earning a "winner's" trophy and one for participation. And each will take the trophy for what it is worth based on their own individual personality and competitiveness. As with most things in youth sports, parents/adults make it a bigger deal than it is.

Judging from the people I supervise these days, that's absolutely NOT true.....In my mind it's not even arguable. 

"I've been here 5 years, 5 years is the minimum for promotion, I deserve to be promoted".......here's your trophy, stupid.

Where else would that attitude come from?  You really can't deny where.....it's simple. 

Parenting.
2015-08-18 8:14 PM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriJedi

Parenting.

Sure, but society has bought in to a large degree.  If you want to raise kids who know what "earn" means you have to fight it.  It's easy for too many parents to go along with that crap......."my kid is a winner, he played".  No.

2015-08-19 4:35 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I agree that it's all in how you sell it to the kid. A trophy he gets just for showing up is a souvenir and should be viewed as such. That's different from a medal or trophy that only gets handed out to the top finishers.

I think the overwhelming majority of kids understand the difference, even if their parents would like to believe that their kid is just as deserving of accolades as the kid who won.
2015-08-19 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Parenting.

Sure, but society has bought in to a large degree.  If you want to raise kids who know what "earn" means you have to fight it.  It's easy for too many parents to go along with that crap......."my kid is a winner, he played".  No.

So your frustration is with the parents not the kids.  I thought this thread was about whether participation medals, trophy's etc., mislead young athletes into thinking they "won" or achieved something just for showing up.  When they're too young to know the difference they're just happy to have something, kinda like believing in santa claus.  

Budding athletes will have a hunger to compete and have success, regardless of whether they get a participation trophy or medal. Conversely the kids who will never be competitors, regardless of mom or dad's intensity and desires, won't become any MORE hungry because of the same trophy or medal.

So to those who are anti-participation medals, do you think by only giving a trophy to the champion, achieving said trophy is the only incentive for them to succeed?  Sure they will associate the trophy with the championship but it's not the trophy they strove for...

"Hey John I heard you won the state championship in soccer your senior year of HS."  "Yup, unfortunately I can't find my medal so it's like it never happened..."

2015-08-19 9:59 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMike

Parenting.

So your frustration is with the parents not the kids.  I thought this thread was about whether participation medals, trophy's etc., mislead young athletes into thinking they "won" or achieved something just for showing up.  When they're too young to know the difference they're just happy to have something, kinda like believing in santa claus.  

Budding athletes will have a hunger to compete and have success, regardless of whether they get a participation trophy or medal. Conversely the kids who will never be competitors, regardless of mom or dad's intensity and desires, won't become any MORE hungry because of the same trophy or medal.

So to those who are anti-participation medals, do you think by only giving a trophy to the champion, achieving said trophy is the only incentive for them to succeed?  Sure they will associate the trophy with the championship but it's not the trophy they strove for...

"Hey John I heard you won the state championship in soccer your senior year of HS."  "Yup, unfortunately I can't find my medal so it's like it never happened..."

I don't think we are talking about kids who become athletes.......at least I'm not.  I'm talking about the kids who get told they are winners and deserving of a trophy just because they showed up and played.  It even carries over to school.  When was the last time you heard of a kid flunking a grade?  Nobody flunks anymore........it's apparently bad for your ego or something.  Then that carries over into the workplace, and now to the point where people want a "living wage" for flipping hamburgers......because, you know, they have a job, right?  They work, right?  They show up, right?

My problem is with our new idea that you don't really have to earn anything......just show up, do the minimum, pick up your prize.  Nah.

2015-08-19 10:30 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Finisher metals are like race event tee-shirts.....only you can't wear them except on the drive home from the race. And you can't use them to polish the car after you wear them out.

But to the point of the OP...I think kids development their 'sense of entitlement' from their parents not from sports competitions. Should you reward your child because he cleans his room, does his homework, vacuums the house, mows the grass and takes out the trash? No. Those are expected.

But sports are supposed to be fun! That is, it is not something you have to do. Getting a metal or trophy for participation is fun for kids (and many adults too). I have many race metals but they are simply participation metals....just like getting a tee-shirt and I'd rather have a tee-shirt that says 'I participated in this event' than a metal.
2015-08-19 11:22 AM

Veteran
Minnesota

Parenting.

I don't think we are talking about kids who become athletes.......at least I'm not.  I'm talking about the kids who get told they are winners and deserving of a trophy just because they showed up and played.  It even carries over to school.  When was the last time you heard of a kid flunking a grade?  Nobody flunks anymore........it's apparently bad for your ego or something.  Then that carries over into the workplace, and now to the point where people want a "living wage" for flipping hamburgers......because, you know, they have a job, right?  They work, right?  They show up, right?

My problem is with our new idea that you don't really have to earn anything......just show up, do the minimum, pick up your prize.  Nah.

I think your off on a few things here. I have taught and coached multiple sports from third grade through championship caliber high school. I have worked with kids who only show up because their parents make them and D1 athletes.

I don't see kids being told they are winners because they show up. Coaches and organizers know the difference. And so do the kids.

Getting held back is a common occurrence in early elementary school. It is not as common at older ages where it is not as beneficial and other services are more helpful. Kids fail high school classes and have to retake them.

In my experience participation medals and trophies are primarily handed out at very early ages or sometimes in introductory events and programs. Participation trophies at higher ages is infrequent. In these cases the presentation of the trophies emphasize the difference.

I personally don't think participation trophies are necessary at competitive levels, but aren't that big of a deal either because people take them for what they are worth. An adult isn't a bad employee because they got a participation trophy for 2nd grade basketball.
2015-08-19 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Real Sports on HBO did a piece on Trophy Nation. here is the clip. It was interesting I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLIB8Czh1J4

2015-08-19 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by TriJedi An adult isn't a bad employee because they got a participation trophy for 2nd grade basketball.

My son played 2nd grade backetball! They had a rule that everyone got to play at least one full quarter and it was a good thing they had that rule or he'd of never been put in the game. Even at this age there were clearly 'natural born athletes'. Some could dribble and shoot like they were born with a BB in their hands...and maybe they were. I rememebr sitting in the stands watching a game and hearing someone behind me say, "Hey, look at that kid! He is skipping up and down the court!" Yup, that's my boy! He was having fun.

He got his participation trophy...and he was proud of it for a couple of years...but like all trophies.....as the memories fade and the trophies tranish they no longer 'valued'.
2015-08-19 12:13 PM

User image

Pro

Parenting.

I think your off on a few things here. I have taught and coached multiple sports from third grade through championship caliber high school. I have worked with kids who only show up because their parents make them and D1 athletes. I don't see kids being told they are winners because they show up. Coaches and organizers know the difference. And so do the kids. Getting held back is a common occurrence in early elementary school. It is not as common at older ages where it is not as beneficial and other services are more helpful. Kids fail high school classes and have to retake them. In my experience participation medals and trophies are primarily handed out at very early ages or sometimes in introductory events and programs. Participation trophies at higher ages is infrequent. In these cases the presentation of the trophies emphasize the difference. I personally don't think participation trophies are necessary at competitive levels, but aren't that big of a deal either because people take them for what they are worth. An adult isn't a bad employee because they got a participation trophy for 2nd grade basketball.

There hasn't been a single student held back by the school district where I live in 15 years. (not sure if any parents have held their kids back) That comes form the principal's mouth.

I don't know how anyone can argue that we don't live in a "everyone's a winner" society.  Hell, even the sports where my kids go to school are "no cut".

2015-08-19 1:18 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
{I don't know how anyone can argue that we don't live in a "everyone's a winner" society. Hell, even the sports where my kids go to school are "no cut".}

I don't think we live in an "everyone is a winner" society. I think we live in a society that is so pc we can't bring ourselves to tell someone they are inferior than others in certain areas.

I also think that kids who don’t try and suck and kids who do try and suck KNOW they suck....even if they don't get cut.

Kids are smarter than we give them credit for....when I was a kid and we'd choose up sides for basketball, football, kickball, etc I usually got picked last. It was embarrassing but I knew in my heart they were right to choose me last because I sucked.
2015-08-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio {I don't know how anyone can argue that we don't live in a "everyone's a winner" society. Hell, even the sports where my kids go to school are "no cut".} I don't think we live in an "everyone is a winner" society. I think we live in a society that is so pc we can't bring ourselves to tell someone they are inferior than others in certain areas. I also think that kids who don’t try and suck and kids who do try and suck KNOW they suck....even if they don't get cut. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for....when I was a kid and we'd choose up sides for basketball, football, kickball, etc I usually got picked last. It was embarrassing but I knew in my heart they were right to choose me last because I sucked.

"You didn't suck. You are just as valuable as everyone out there. You were just as big a part of the effort as anyone else on the field. No one on the team is more important than anyone else.  Here's your certificate, great job!!"  Sound familiar?  I bet it doesn't.....because you never heard it.  Kids today hear that crap non-stop.

I don't think I want to hear how "kids know the difference"........I can't even work with the self-entitled goofs that seem to make up  the overwhelming majority of the new workforce.  And heaven forbid you tell them they suck.  HAHAHAHA!!!

2015-08-19 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Rogillio {I don't know how anyone can argue that we don't live in a "everyone's a winner" society. Hell, even the sports where my kids go to school are "no cut".} I don't think we live in an "everyone is a winner" society. I think we live in a society that is so pc we can't bring ourselves to tell someone they are inferior than others in certain areas. I also think that kids who don’t try and suck and kids who do try and suck KNOW they suck....even if they don't get cut. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for....when I was a kid and we'd choose up sides for basketball, football, kickball, etc I usually got picked last. It was embarrassing but I knew in my heart they were right to choose me last because I sucked.

"You didn't suck. You are just as valuable as everyone out there. You were just as big a part of the effort as anyone else on the field. No one on the team is more important than anyone else.  Here's your certificate, great job!!"  Sound familiar?  I bet it doesn't.....because you never heard it.  Kids today hear that crap non-stop.

I don't think I want to hear how "kids know the difference"........I can't even work with the self-entitled goofs that seem to make up  the overwhelming majority of the new workforce.  And heaven forbid you tell them they suck.  HAHAHAHA!!!

I'm a big believer that playing time is earned not given (with the exception of the really young age groups when they all need to get out on the field) however I don't believe a coach should ever openly "value" one player over another.

Sure everyone can think it and knows the producers vs. the fodder/tackling dummies, however consistently applied rules and expected conduct as athletes and instilling a value system is why sports are a metaphor for life.   The learning from teamwork in sports is what people point out as positive influences in their lives... Nothing bad ever comes from treating members of a team "equal" when it comes to respect, expectations etc.  To think it's coddling the 8th-10th players on a basketball team by not being disrespectful of their efforts day in day out in practice is incorrect.

My youngest son played for five years on a particular premier level soccer club team with a kid who was a star among stars, the kid is amazing.  The kid is also a cancer, a me-first primadona and he drove quality players from the team over the years when the boys and/or their parents couldn't take it anymore.  Our coach gave him way too much latitude because he was so good, and turned a blind eye to him being an idiot which in turn de-valued the other players.  

Sure he was more "valuable" as a goal scorer than the other boys but he was worthless as a teammate, friend, motivator etc.

2015-08-19 2:32 PM

Veteran
Minnesota

It sounds like you need to move. I mean, if the schools are bad, the job sucks, the people are entitled... What are you still doing there?
2015-08-19 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

My wife coaches softball for 9-10 yo.  Instead of giving them a trophy, she gave them softball pins.  They were to represent that the kids were on a team.  She even suggests they put them on their backpacks so when they see each other in the hall or at school the will spot the pin and know they are teamates.

2015-08-19 3:27 PM

User image

Pro

It sounds like you need to move. I mean, if the schools are bad, the job sucks, the people are entitled... What are you still doing there?

HAHAHA!!!  I love my job, the schools DO suck, the majority of "new workers" feel entitled almost everywhere.......but yeah, in 4 years I'm outta here.

2015-08-19 3:39 PM

User image

Pro

I'm a big believer that playing time is earned not given (with the exception of the really young age groups when they all need to get out on the field) however I don't believe a coach should ever openly "value" one player over another.

Sure everyone can think it and knows the producers vs. the fodder/tackling dummies, however consistently applied rules and expected conduct as athletes and instilling a value system is why sports are a metaphor for life.   The learning from teamwork in sports is what people point out as positive influences in their lives... Nothing bad ever comes from treating members of a team "equal" when it comes to respect, expectations etc.  To think it's coddling the 8th-10th players on a basketball team by not being disrespectful of their efforts day in day out in practice is incorrect.

My youngest son played for five years on a particular premier level soccer club team with a kid who was a star among stars, the kid is amazing.  The kid is also a cancer, a me-first primadona and he drove quality players from the team over the years when the boys and/or their parents couldn't take it anymore.  Our coach gave him way too much latitude because he was so good, and turned a blind eye to him being an idiot which in turn de-valued the other players.  

Sure he was more "valuable" as a goal scorer than the other boys but he was worthless as a teammate, friend, motivator etc.

Not one of my 5 kids play(ed) team sports.  They are on teams.....swim teams, triathlon teams, track teams, etc.......but they don't want anything to do with sports where performance is based on team play.  I was just the opposite growing up and led my kids toward team sports when they were very young.......but each of them wanted very little to do with them.  

Knowing how team sports has gone with the "select" teams I don't feel like they're missing anything......and I KNOW I'm not missing any of the parental squabbles I hear about constantly from my friends who's kids went that route in sports.

Not really a comment on anything......just thinking about how much different team sports are now compared to when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's.

2015-08-19 3:42 PM

Veteran
Minnesota

Parenting.

I think your off on a few things here. I have taught and coached multiple sports from third grade through championship caliber high school. I have worked with kids who only show up because their parents make them and D1 athletes. I don't see kids being told they are winners because they show up. Coaches and organizers know the difference. And so do the kids. Getting held back is a common occurrence in early elementary school. It is not as common at older ages where it is not as beneficial and other services are more helpful. Kids fail high school classes and have to retake them. In my experience participation medals and trophies are primarily handed out at very early ages or sometimes in introductory events and programs. Participation trophies at higher ages is infrequent. In these cases the presentation of the trophies emphasize the difference. I personally don't think participation trophies are necessary at competitive levels, but aren't that big of a deal either because people take them for what they are worth. An adult isn't a bad employee because they got a participation trophy for 2nd grade basketball.

There hasn't been a single student held back by the school district where I live in 15 years. (not sure if any parents have held their kids back) That comes form the principal's mouth.

I don't know how anyone can argue that we don't live in a "everyone's a winner" society.  Hell, even the sports where my kids go to school are "no cut".

It appears the school systems are very different, but education is a priority here in Minnesota I teach at an Elementary and coach at the HS where my wife is a guidance counselor and am connected with all the coaches, AD, principals and teachers. It is a top 20 public HS in the state, so standards are high when it comes to behavior, academics and extracurriculars, but comparable to what fellow colleagues around the state describe. Kids are held back at every elementary school is the district. Every year kids don't graduate, fail classes, etc. if they don't do the work in HS. Cuts are made with Girls VB, Boys Hockey and basketball, Kids who don't make varsity, can play JV or C team or ride the pine in football, soccer, Girls basketball, baseball, soccer, cross country, track, dance, show choir, skiing, tennis, swimming. There is competition in each, whether it is making the team, making varsity, or making the starting line up. A good friend is the volleyball coach and the hardest day of the year is telling a senior who had done everything you could ask, works hard, is a great leader and teammate, had been a part of the program for the last 3 years, but just isn't quite good enough "sorry, you didn't make it"

We have very successful HS programs and a foundation of that success are good youth programs. I have been fortunate to see the development of these programs as a coach and parent. What I see from our perennial state contenders is a focus on participation, building confidence, and having fun at an early age. None of these programs ever gives out participation trophies or medals, but I would say there is a very strong emphasis on being positive and encouraging. It is a lot of rah-rah and praise but what we are trying to do is help every athlete find success and recognize it. The emphasis isn't on winning and keeping score, but on development, doing your best and having fun no matter their competitive level. We want them to enjoy it, feel good about playing and comeback and play again next season. Of course the focus becomes more about competition as they get older, but the foundational philosophy remains.

I get that there are entitlement issues. I see it with both players and parents. In my experience, it isn't really coming from a participation trophy they got from some camp or tournament. As always there will be some who can overdo it and create and make it onto everybody is a winner thing. Over the last 18 years we have gotten a few participation trophies and it is usually the same thing--the tournament director says "thanks for coming. You guys played hard. Good luck this season"
2015-08-19 9:03 PM

User image

Pro

Parenting.

It appears the school systems are very different, but education is a priority here in Minnesota I teach at an Elementary and coach at the HS where my wife is a guidance counselor and am connected with all the coaches, AD, principals and teachers. It is a top 20 public HS in the state, so standards are high when it comes to behavior, academics and extracurriculars, but comparable to what fellow colleagues around the state describe. Kids are held back at every elementary school is the district. Every year kids don't graduate, fail classes, etc. if they don't do the work in HS. Cuts are made with Girls VB, Boys Hockey and basketball, Kids who don't make varsity, can play JV or C team or ride the pine in football, soccer, Girls basketball, baseball, soccer, cross country, track, dance, show choir, skiing, tennis, swimming. There is competition in each, whether it is making the team, making varsity, or making the starting line up. A good friend is the volleyball coach and the hardest day of the year is telling a senior who had done everything you could ask, works hard, is a great leader and teammate, had been a part of the program for the last 3 years, but just isn't quite good enough "sorry, you didn't make it" We have very successful HS programs and a foundation of that success are good youth programs. I have been fortunate to see the development of these programs as a coach and parent. What I see from our perennial state contenders is a focus on participation, building confidence, and having fun at an early age. None of these programs ever gives out participation trophies or medals, but I would say there is a very strong emphasis on being positive and encouraging. It is a lot of rah-rah and praise but what we are trying to do is help every athlete find success and recognize it. The emphasis isn't on winning and keeping score, but on development, doing your best and having fun no matter their competitive level. We want them to enjoy it, feel good about playing and comeback and play again next season. Of course the focus becomes more about competition as they get older, but the foundational philosophy remains. I get that there are entitlement issues. I see it with both players and parents. In my experience, it isn't really coming from a participation trophy they got from some camp or tournament. As always there will be some who can overdo it and create and make it onto everybody is a winner thing. Over the last 18 years we have gotten a few participation trophies and it is usually the same thing--the tournament director says "thanks for coming. You guys played hard. Good luck this season"

Yeah, different.  At the State Championship track meet my son got a text from his "coach" that read, "good luck, sorry I couldn't be there".  LOL

2015-08-20 6:01 AM
in reply to: #5135420

shopping - that cracked me up!

2015-08-20 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I know I suck, or at least my performance sometimes does, and always does compared to the elites in pretty much any field of endeavor I can think of, not just triathlon....but I still want my finisher's goodies! Maybe it's just because I paid so much $$$ to enter the thing in the first place. Would even be happy with (as in IM Danang, in addition to the medal) a T-shirt and/or towel for finishing. I just like to collect the stuff. Go ahead and call it entitlement or shopping if you want--it's my money. I fail to see how Caroline Steffen's victory in the Danang race was in any way diminished by my lowly finisher's medal, towel, and T-shirt..... We both suffered under the same conditions, trained seriously for the event, and raced to the best of our abilities that day. I also put in load of my own money into training for and entering the event, which I doubt she did. For her genetic gifts and dedication to full-time training, Caroline was generously rewarded beyond the medal, towel, and shirt, by plenty of prize money, sponsorship deals, and a genuine trophy. I consider that completely fair.

ETA The crazier part of the story above was that I actually won prize money and had to stand on a podium with Caroline....for a run leg that was 30 minutes over my best split (I was really sick at the time). I said that I was absolutely humiliated to even have my run split mentioned, much less receive $ for it (as top Vietnam resident). She confided that this has happened to her even as a pro, and when she feels it's undeserved, she just donates it all to charity, which is exactly what I did. Hope it is useful in rebuilding those schools in rural Nepal.

No one forces anyone to accept a finisher's medal or other swag, after all, for yourself or your kid. If it's against your principles, just refuse it or pay it forward and hold out till you/they win Kona.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-20 8:39 AM
2015-08-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Alabama
In my son's basketball league they had a rule that allowed the opposing teams coach to designate one player on the other team to sit out the 3rd quarter. Both teams would do this. They had this rule because there is always one guy who started playing BB when he was 2 years old and just dominates the court. I thought this was a good rule....becuase my kid was not the one that was told to sit out a quarter.....he was the one they 'had to play at least one quarter'.
2015-08-20 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Hope it is useful in rebuilding those schools in rural Nepal.

Nice!

Did I tell you they were prepping for the Tenzing-Hillary Everest Marathon when we were there last year? This marathon goes from EBC to Namche. They were putting flags along the trail. I think they ran it a day or two after we left Namche. In 2014 there were only 3 non-Nepali finishers in the top 20!

I just realized they didn't have it this year.....for obvious reasons.

And now back to your regulaly scheduled discussion on entitlement trophies....

Edited by Rogillio 2015-08-20 3:18 PM
2015-08-20 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Wow--At least EBC to Namche is in the downhill direction (though there are plenty of uphills en route). When I was there we met some runners training for the Golden Jubilee, which as I recall was an ultra race in several stages. I'm not sure there were ANY non-Nepali finishers. Whenever I start to think I'm hot stuff as an endurance athlete, I think about those runners, and just your average load-carrier in Nepal, and realize I'm nothing, finisher's medal or not.

The final crazy part of the Vietnam 70.3 run bonus story (it was just weird from the get-go) is that one of my students was running in a jogathon to raise $ for the schools, which was an initiative of the Dutch embassy in Nepal (they have friends at the Dutch school in HCMC). So one of my student/athletes also had to run several miles to secure (via his dad) that donation from me!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-20 6:44 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Participation Trophy? Rss Feed  

of 4