Subject: RE: Participation Trophy?

AMEN!!!!

2015-08-17 2:18 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Just curious, do you decline the participation trophies finisher medals at the end of a race? 

2015-08-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Just curious, do you decline the participation trophies finisher medals at the end of a race? 

Actually, on the two races I have a DNF, I have not worn the shirts and since I did not finish, I did not get a medal. Plus, I am not sure this is a good comparison. The winners of an AG get a winners medal and I get a finishers medal provided I finish the race. We are not all getting the same medals.

2015-08-17 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

My kids don't race in races that give them out, and I wouldn't keep one from events I do (sorry I can't really call anything I do these days a "race").  

We had a box of medals from early races they did....we sent them here:

medals4mettle.org

We just don't do finisher medals, or participation trophies.  Do your best, give it all you've got, but just because you do that it doesn't make you special.  That is a lesson sport is SUPPOSED to be teaching.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-17 2:37 PM
2015-08-17 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by jford2309

Actually, on the two races I have a DNF, I have not worn the shirts and since I did not finish, I did not get a medal. Plus, I am not sure this is a good comparison. The winners of an AG get a winners medal and I get a finishers medal provided I finish the race. We are not all getting the same medals.

Honestly, I thinks it's a perfect comparison. I finished an Ironman in 12 hours. Got the exact same medal as the guy that finished in it in 8:30 and the exact same medal as the guy who finished in 16:59:37.  Sure the winner got an additional trophy, but we all had the same medal placed around our necks. That (to me) makes it a participation trophy. No different than giving out trophies to the kids at the last game of the season.  

2015-08-17 2:47 PM

User image

Pro

Honestly, I thinks it's a perfect comparison. I finished an Ironman in 12 hours. Got the exact same medal as the guy that finished in it in 8:30 and the exact same medal as the guy who finished in 16:59:37.  Sure the winner got an additional trophy, but we all had the same medal placed around our necks. That (to me) makes it a participation trophy. No different than giving out trophies to the kids at the last game of the season.  

I agree.....that HIM and IM finisher medal is also a participation medal.  And I would pull my kid off a team that got a trophy at the end of the year just for showing up. 

It makes me no difference if they win or lose, and I agree completely that it's all in the effort and sportsmanship.......but you don't get a medal for doing what you're SUPPOSED to do.  Medals and trophies should be for extraordinary accomplishments, or winning accomplishments. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-17 2:48 PM
2015-08-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree.....that HIM and IM finisher medal is also a participation medal.  And I would pull my kid off a team that got a trophy at the end of the year just for showing up. 

It makes me no difference if they win or lose, and I agree completely that it's all in the effort and sportsmanship.......but you don't get a medal for doing what you're SUPPOSED to do.  Medals and trophies should be for extraordinary accomplishments, or winning accomplishments. 

I can see where a finisher's medal and a participation medal could be looked at as being equal, but I do not see it that way.

IMO, a finisher's medal is an accomplishment. For me, it means that I trained for the race, and I completed it.  I do not see that as I just "participated" .  To me the tshirt is the "participation trophy" of the tri world. You don't have to even do the race to get one of those. 

2015-08-17 3:14 PM

User image

Pro

I can see where a finisher's medal and a participation medal could be looked at as being equal, but I do not see it that way.

IMO, a finisher's medal is an accomplishment. For me, it means that I trained for the race, and I completed it.  I do not see that as I just "participated" .  To me the tshirt is the "participation trophy" of the tri world. You don't have to even do the race to get one of those. 

I get it.  I have no problem with that.  I just don't happen to think triathlon is any more special than any other sporting endeavor.......all sport is an accomplishment.  Medals and trophies should be for those who win.  To me, there is plenty to be satisfied about in the finishing provided you gave it your best....but it's not medal/trophy worthy.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-17 3:16 PM
2015-08-17 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I get it.  I have no problem with that.  I just don't happen to think triathlon is any more special than any other sporting endeavor.......all sport is an accomplishment.  Medals and trophies should be for those who win.  To me, there is plenty to be satisfied about in the finishing provided you gave it your best....but it's not medal/trophy worthy.

And maybe that is the difference. I know the finisher medal is just a piece of memorabilia, it's not a an indication of me being the best!

2015-08-17 3:29 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

medals4mettle.org

medals4mettle.org is a great organization, where I've sent medals.  

Well, with the exception of TriRock Austin's guitar shaped medal that doubles as a bottle opener - it even has built-in magnets for sticking to the fridge.

2015-08-17 3:34 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

medals4mettle.org

medals4mettle.org is a great organization, where I've sent medals.  Well, with the exception of TriRock Austin's guitar shaped medal that doubles as a bottle opener - it even has built-in magnets for sticking to the fridge.

2015-08-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

medals4mettle.org

medals4mettle.org is a great organization, where I've sent medals.  Well, with the exception of TriRock Austin's guitar shaped medal that doubles as a bottle opener - it even has built-in magnets for sticking to the fridge.

That's not a medal, that's an appliance.  Big difference.

2015-08-17 3:39 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I've coached youth sports and had this debate many times; I favor no participation trophies. That said, I don't equate race finisher medals with participation trophies. If I "participated" the way plenty of kids I've seen did I would not have crossed the finish line. Finishing the race is some measure of success; just showing up, not so much.

2015-08-17 3:41 PM

User image

Pro

And maybe that is the difference. I know the finisher medal is just a piece of memorabilia, it's not a an indication of me being the best!

It's weird how different brains work.  I would look at the t-shirt as memorabilia and the medal as nothing.  I see your point.

2015-08-17 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Dunno....I keep the finisher's medal if I had to work really hard to finish the race, normally if it was iron-distance (or a marathon) or memorable for some other reason, or is some unique design. I don't see them as an "award" so much as something to remember the race by. The T-shirts are usually too large or too small, anyway, and I don't usually run in T-shirts. Have donated most of the others. I do see them as a bit silly for shorter races in my case, but I can see how finishing even a 10K might be a life-changing achievement for someone--don't know. The elites have their prizes; we pay enough that I don't really have an issue with finisher's medals. As for kids, a trophy for participating goes a bit far. I just give my runners a certificate saying they participated and mentioning what events they did during the season. Aside from being a memento, some of them may need it if, for example, they apply to another international school, as evidence of being "well-rounded", etc. At least in a shorter tri or run, I'd be just as happy to pay a little less and get something similar, which some races do have (print it off from the results).

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-17 5:25 PM

2015-08-17 8:10 PM

User image

New user
East Tennessee
Some people win and some people lose. I am not a fan of "everyone is a winner". I was NOT an athlete when I was in school and I very rarely won any trophies. If I did it was because I was on a team that could make up for my inability. I think we send the wrong message when everyone wins. Life is not fair. It is an important lesson to learn.

I used to compete in martial arts and MMA (as an adult). I have left a 2nd place trophy on the floor at a judo competition and never took the winner's medal at an MMA event. I knew I won. I didn't need a medal. The school liked to have the martial arts trophies though, so some of them were received on my behalf.

I do have a drawer full of age group awards from local runs though. It is hard to video tape a race to show someone, so I take the medal to show my kid .

Edited by volfireman07 2015-08-17 8:13 PM
2015-08-18 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

You guys are too funny.  If a kid practices and plays his way through an entire season of a sport and gets handed a trophy at the end (even if the team has the worst record), we're coddling the children in to thinking everyone is a winner. But if an adult trains through an entire season and gets handed a medal at the end of their race (even if he/she is DFL), it's an accomplishment, a measure of success, and memorabilia.  What about the kid that worked his butt off practicing every free minute of his day in his backyard but was stuck on a crappy team.  Can we give him a trophy for his accomplishments, as a measure of his success?  What about the person that did not train for a race, put no effort in to it at all.  Just shows up and half walks, half trots their way to the finish line.  Can we deny them a finishers medal because we don't think they put enough effort in to it?

The finishers medal is a participation trophy.  A kid quits in the middle of the season, he gets no trophy.  You quit in the middle of a race, you get no medal.  Feel how you want about trophies and medals, love them both or hate them both, whatever.  But I do not understand this rationale of advocating one while criticizing the other.  

And the tshirt is definitely not the equivalent of the participation trophy. You don't ever have to train, race, or even break a sweat to earn a tshirt.  You earn a shirt by paying the entry fee and driving to packet pickup.  That's not participating, that's shopping. 

2015-08-18 8:51 AM

User image

Pro

You guys are too funny.  If a kid practices and plays his way through an entire season of a sport and gets handed a trophy at the end (even if the team has the worst record), we're coddling the children in to thinking everyone is a winner. But if an adult trains through an entire season and gets handed a medal at the end of their race (even if he/she is DFL), it's an accomplishment, a measure of success, and memorabilia.  What about the kid that worked his butt off practicing every free minute of his day in his backyard but was stuck on a crappy team.  Can we give him a trophy for his accomplishments, as a measure of his success?  What about the person that did not train for a race, put no effort in to it at all.  Just shows up and half walks, half trots their way to the finish line.  Can we deny them a finishers medal because we don't think they put enough effort in to it?

The finishers medal is a participation trophy.  A kid quits in the middle of the season, he gets no trophy.  You quit in the middle of a race, you get no medal.  Feel how you want about trophies and medals, love them both or hate them both, whatever.  But I do not understand this rationale of advocating one while criticizing the other.  

And the tshirt is definitely not the equivalent of the participation trophy. You don't ever have to train, race, or even break a sweat to earn a tshirt.  You earn a shirt by paying the entry fee and driving to packet pickup.  That's not participating, that's shopping. 

Yep.

Trophies and medals are for winning/placing......not finishing/participating.

2015-08-18 9:09 AM

User image

Oakville

Reminds me of the line from Whiplash - The two most harmful words in the English language are ‘good job’.

My kids are 5 and 7 and so I'm still at the 'good job' motivation stage to keep them interested in whatever they're doing.

BUT at some point I agree that you have to teach your kids they have to earn things in life and to work hard for achievements.

Participation medals are fine, but I personally don't put any value in them. 

2015-08-18 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Personally my kids have received participation trophy's and/or trinkets (junk) when they were really young and it didn't matter one bit to me.  It's ridiculous to think accepting a little trinket will somehow diminish their hunger towards winning... 

Kids who are competitive separate themselves quickly from the ones being forced into action by mommy and daddy and most don't give a squirt about their participation trophy if they didn't win...

A bigger issue is the parents who drill their kids non-stop after games win or lose, always pushing them to be better, never thinking their effort was good enough etc.. 

In today's society burning a kid out is much more likely than a kid becoming "soft" because they got some junk as a 5 or 10 year old  playing some team sport...

Having said all that, if I were putting on a tournament I wouldn't give out participation medals... A cheap t-shirt indicating the tournament, competition etc., is the direction I'd go.  That way they have something they can get some use out of and isn't confused for a "trophy" by people who don't  know the difference..

2015-08-18 2:12 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMike

It's ridiculous to think accepting a little trinket will somehow diminish their hunger towards winning... 

Kids who are competitive separate themselves quickly from the ones being forced into action by mommy and daddy and most don't give a squirt about their participation trophy if they didn't win... 

That's probably true.  Stoking the fire when they are really little probably doesn't hurt at all. 

But.... If you're (collective you) still giving your kids participation trophies by the time they are old enough to know the difference....that is just silly to me, and doesn't do anyone any good.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-08-18 2:15 PM
2015-08-18 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I agree with all of this.

2015-08-18 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by TriMike

It's ridiculous to think accepting a little trinket will somehow diminish their hunger towards winning... 

That's probably true.  Stoking the fire when they are really little probably doesn't hurt at all. 

But.... If you're (collective you) still giving your kids participation trophies by the time they are old enough to know the difference....that is just silly to me, and doesn't do anyone any good.

Chances are by the time the kids know the difference they've outgrown the tournaments where the organizers would give them out anyway... Maybe not..

By the time my boys were 10-11 years old they were on teams that would have likely thrown the trophy's at each other or been embarrased to take one if it wasn't handed to them on the podium as the winner or runner-up...

Personally I don't think there's any shame in accepting a runner-up trophy assuming the team didn't get jobbed somehow or something other than the players' efforts decided the game/match...

2015-08-18 7:49 PM
in reply to: TriMike

Veteran
Minnesota
Kids know w the difference between earning a "winner's" trophy and one for participation. And each will take the trophy for what it is worth based on their own individual personality and competitiveness. As with most things in youth sports, parents/adults make it a bigger deal than it is.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Participation Trophy? Rss Feed  

of 4