General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New here - just competed in my first triathlon (sprint) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-17 7:55 PM

Subject: New here - just competed in my first triathlon (sprint)
My first triathlon was quite the experience - the West Point Sprint Triathlon on Sun 8/16. First and foremost, I was able to run the race from beginning to end with my daughter Crystal which was the plan. I was there to push her, most especially in bike and run, so I knew I wasn't racing for my own time.

We picked up our race packets on Saturday. We signed in and were given our numbers (I was 346 and Crystal 131). We checked the starting waves, and they were done by age group and gender. Crystal Wave 3 and myself Wave 6. I asked Major Tom (no David Bowie comments) who was dealing with customer service if Crystal and I could start together because we wanted to race together. He moved me to Wave 3 and I got a red cap instead of a white one, and started off with all females (which really didn’t matter).

Race morning we arrived at around 6:45 (1st wave off at 8:30). We went to the transition area where the bikes were racked by Bib #. I went to the USAT referee and asked if I could rack out of sequence with Crystal. He said normally that could not be done, but since I was forthcoming and asked he allowed me to. So Crystal and I were all set up to run the race together.

We get ready for the swim, and I put on my wet suit (wet suit legal race day). We get to the starting area, listen to speeches, and then the race begins. We line up in wave order, and third wave arrived and off to the water we went. Well, let’s just say all of my fears about the swim were correct due to several factors. This was my first open water swim, and in hindsight lap training was not enough. First was pace. As we started off, Crystal was a little slower than me. What I quickly found out was that I was unable to adjust my pace due to my inexperience. I guess my mind was set from laps at a certain pace, and I could not adjust properly. Couple that with my first open water swim, and I was pretty much off kilter in just a few minutes. My breathing, stroke, everything had no rhythm, and there was no getting it back. I spent time on my back, my side, breast stroke, treading water. Even grabbed a noodle for a minute break. I was so happy when after an eternity in the water (the 1/2 mile might as well have been the Atlantic Ocean). I made it to the end of the leg, and just behind Crystal. The transition from swim to bike was smooth.

The bike was quite a hilly 13.7 miles. It was a solid effort by Crystal in her circa 1980’s Trek hybrid. Not much to report other than the leg was completed about as I expected in just a little over an hour. Transitioning from bike to run was non eventful.

The run was tough for Crystal. She had a few sighting issues in the water and ended up using her legs more than she wanted, thus in combo with the bike, when we finally got to the run her legs were close to toast. We pushed through the 3.1 miles in around 37 minutes. We crossed the finish line together, and the clock said 2:13 and change.

A few other observations from the race from a newbie. Today was 700+ individuals out to race, some for fun, some just to see if they could do it, and some to compete to win or against their own best time and placement. Lots of comradery. Everyone was friendly. It was pretty well organized, and as a first-timer I thought it was easy to follow. I saw many levels of pain during the race. Other than my own struggles in the water, I saw others who had issues. I saw a lot of bicycle failures on the course. Many flats, and even a broken chain. Some people were forced to walk their bikes for miles to finish the leg, and many on the side of the road changing tires or getting help from the equipment van on course. Once on the run, some could only walk, and I heard grunting and suffering. But others would give words of encouragement to keep on pushing on and how great they were doing.

I got so much joy running this triathlon. To be able to run wire-to-wire with Crystal was something special and won’t be forgotten. It was an awesome first triathlon experience. And even though I’d be much happier swimming in a cup, I plan on trying another triathlon to see what I learned from this one. I will compete at my own pace to see what I am capable of, especially in the water. But that’s for another day. This race was a success, because Crystal and I did what we said we’d do – compete and finish a triathlon together.

Edited by metalmancpa 2015-08-17 8:07 PM

2015-08-19 10:35 PM
in reply to: metalmancpa

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: New here - just competed in my first triathlon (sprint)
Nice! Congratulations on finishing your first race. You always remember your first, and that's a great story that you finished with your daughter!
2015-08-23 7:57 PM

I just signed up for a local triathlon on Sept 5th. Even though I'm training for the Army 10-miler which is in Oct, I really want to challenge myself at my own pace. It was awesome running wire-to-wire with my daughter on my first tri, but now I want to see what I can do. I consider this next one my first triathlon extended. I especially want to see if I'll have a bad time in the water again or if it was first time jitters or my mistake trying to swim at my daughters pace. I won't swim fast, but I'd like to get in the water and just swim steady with no hiccups.

Due to bike equipment I'll never compete with the great riders. I have a Specialized Sirrus which is just a commuter bike. No matter what I can't keep up speeds that a road bike would. Today I took a 17 mile ride and was able to average 19.1 MPH. I know that's good for a commuter, but not for a race.
2015-09-08 9:43 AM

The sprint triathlon I just competed in was much different than the first, for the simple fact I went at my pace.

1/3 mile swim, 11.1 mile bike, 3.45 mile run. Overall 1:18:50. Came in 24th out of 109, and finished 2nd in the Masters Division (50+).

I need work in the swim as it took me 12:23 to finish. Made up time in the bike, averaging 19.2MPH on my Specialized Sirrus flat bar commuter bike. I know I could be in the low 20's with a true road bike. Averaged 8:06 in the run. All in all a decent experience. I know I should take a Masters swim class.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New here - just competed in my first triathlon (sprint) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I ran my first sprint and I'm HOOKED!

Started by rob.m
Views: 890 Posts: 3

2011-07-27 3:15 PM jsoza

Ran my first sprint triathlon today!

Started by Wayne from Orlando
Views: 702 Posts: 2

2010-06-12 5:14 PM outlawdave316

Just Registered For My First Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by Ghostfacekiller
Views: 811 Posts: 4

2010-02-19 10:46 AM pistuo

California couch potato just ran his first sprint triathlon

Started by RAFFA
Views: 997 Posts: 10

2009-04-30 3:09 PM joshmoore

New User - Training for first Tri Smithfield Sprint, April 2009

Started by sdanaher
Views: 1079 Posts: 4

2008-11-02 11:55 PM KFranke
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : October 7, 2008
author : blitzney
comments : 1
Home for the summer, lab tech college student trains and completes first triathlon!
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 13, 2008
author : SmBkRn450
comments : 1
A friend of mine asked me to run for her in a sprint triathlon. I agreed, but I continued to regret it, as I had been training for nothing longer than 400 m for the past three months.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : July 30, 2006
author : bcshoe
My first attempt two years ago was not so successful when a deck nail found its way into my foot a week before the race. But I kept plugging away the last couple of years to stay healthy and get back.