General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tingling Hands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-18 8:03 PM

Subject: Tingling Hands
Being completely new to this sport, I'm sure I'm doing something completely wrong here. When I get to about mile 6 on a bike ride, my hands start to tingle and feel like they are "falling asleep". I try to vary my grip on the bars and shake them out from time to time but cannot seem to avoid this. What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this? I can tolerate it to about 15 miles but I would like to be able to avoid this issue all together.

Thanks for the help!!

2015-08-18 8:18 PM
in reply to: justinr82

Subject: RE: Tingling Hands
Do you wear gloves? When I first started riding, I was convinced I was doing something disastrously wrong. Had tingling in my hands no matter what I did. Ended up buying a set of fingerless gloves with pads in the palm and heel of hand and haven"t had a single tingle since - including rides up to 35 miles.
2015-08-18 8:41 PM
in reply to: H2OhNo

I don't ride with gloves right now but they are on my list to get, like tomorrow. I am completely new to this so I don't have all the gear I need ( or really know what gear I need). Thanks for the suggestion!!
2015-08-18 8:41 PM
in reply to: H2OhNo

I don't ride with gloves right now but they are on my list to get, like tomorrow. I am completely new to this so I don't have all the gear I need ( or really know what gear I need). Thanks for the suggestion!!
2015-08-18 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Most common things I see are keeping your wrists bent while putting pressure on the handle bars. This will get the median nerve and get the thumb and long finger. Putting pressure on the outside of your wrist (away from the thumb) will get the ulnar nerve and cause numbness on the little and ring finger. Being in an aero position and putting weight on your elbow may also get your ulnar nerve and give you numbness on the out side of your hand. Holding your shoulders in a protracted position ( that is forward of your chest) puts a little pressure on the the thoracic outlet and usually makes the outside of your hand numb. Cervical disk disease with neuroforaminal stenosis can put pressure on the C6 or C7 nerve roots causing numbness in your hands. Central canal stenosis in your neck with your neck in a slightly extended position can put pressure on the nerve.

Gloves will help quite a bit. Keeping the muscles that you're not propelling yourself with relaxed can be helpful to. Proper position plays a role. Pay close attention to when the numbness first happens then try to adjust the position your in slightly to see what effect it has. It's not usually too serious.
2015-08-19 4:39 AM
in reply to: #5135737

This happened to me also. I just adjusted my seat and that fixed it.

2015-08-19 6:36 AM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

Thanks for the tips!
2015-08-19 7:12 AM

User image

This happened to me when I first started. It got a bit better after a year of riding but didn't go away. It does help if I try to relax my arms and shoulders. Alternately, I take one hand off the handles and swing it around for a few seconds. What cured it in the end was getting aero bars where I'm resting on my elbows rather than my hands.
2015-08-19 9:46 AM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by NeilsWheel Most common things I see are keeping your wrists bent while putting pressure on the handle bars. This will get the median nerve and get the thumb and long finger. Putting pressure on the outside of your wrist (away from the thumb) will get the ulnar nerve and cause numbness on the little and ring finger. Being in an aero position and putting weight on your elbow may also get your ulnar nerve and give you numbness on the out side of your hand. Holding your shoulders in a protracted position ( that is forward of your chest) puts a little pressure on the the thoracic outlet and usually makes the outside of your hand numb. Cervical disk disease with neuroforaminal stenosis can put pressure on the C6 or C7 nerve roots causing numbness in your hands. Central canal stenosis in your neck with your neck in a slightly extended position can put pressure on the nerve. Gloves will help quite a bit. Keeping the muscles that you're not propelling yourself with relaxed can be helpful to. Proper position plays a role. Pay close attention to when the numbness first happens then try to adjust the position your in slightly to see what effect it has. It's not usually too serious.

Interesting.  I've had carpal tunnel surgery but also have fused C6 & C7 vertebrae,. so wonder how that affects things.

I use gel-padded handlebar tape and wear gel-padded gloves on most of my training rides.  It's a lot more comfortable for me to ride in my aerobars, but I still try to change positions slightly every few minutes.

Unfortunately I've also recently been diagnosed with Dupuytren's disease and that is staring to cause me some discomfort, particularly in my right hand.

Mark 

2015-08-19 9:57 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Originally posted by b2run

This happened to me when I first started. It got a bit better after a year of riding but didn't go away. It does help if I try to relax my arms and shoulders. Alternately, I take one hand off the handles and swing it around for a few seconds. What cured it in the end was getting aero bars where I'm resting on my elbows rather than my hands.

One other thing that you can do: Retape your handle bars leaving the old tape on. That gives you a little bit more padding.
2015-08-19 3:00 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cervical rad and carpal tunnel syndrome together is often times referred to as a double crunch. Poor nerve gets beaten up twice.

2015-08-19 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I had a lot of trouble with numb hands when I started riding last spring, even on a mountain bike. I tried gloves, fancy wing grips, bar ends, etc. Each gave some, but not total, relief. Things weren't any better when I switched to a road bike. Fast forward to this spring after having done 6 months of intense swim training through the fall and winter. No more tingly hands on either bike. Why? I speculate it's because of the substantially better core strength I got from the swimming. I'm no longer putting all my upper body weight on my wrists while on the bike; my abs are providing much more support. That's my theory, anyway.

Edited by gary p 2015-08-19 4:23 PM
2015-08-19 5:58 PM

User image

Same issue. Gloves help. Also purposefully remember to take your hands off the bars every mile or so and make a fist, spin your wrist and curl your arm.

Even witih super heavy gloves and all that, I have issues. Funny thing is that it happens for miles 10-30 and then it goes away after mile 30. No idea why!
2015-08-20 12:01 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
So this is a totally common thing in the bike world. Even happens to the pros. Watch them during the TdF and you see riders regularly shaking out their arms and legs (numb feet). It gets better with more time on the bike. Gloves can help, but can also make it worse. Fit helps a lot. How your body circulates blood plays a major role, so everyone will be different.

Change up your bike position every once in a while. Take your arms off the bike and shake them out. Nothing to be too worried about, unless it gets worse.
2015-08-20 12:24 PM
in reply to: 0

I also have to remind myself to not lock my elbows. It's something I do without realizing it, and one of the things I suspect caused the same problem in me. Cycling gloves (padded) also helped. You can get a cheap pair (or three) on Ebay that work pretty well. I get the cheap ones there, cause my dog likes to steal them and carry them around (she likes the smell or the salt, I guess, lol). Look under the Ebay "Daily Deals," they always have some listed.

Edited by dpd3672 2015-08-20 12:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tingling Hands Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tingling/numbess in pinky and ring finger - newbie

Started by raeray80
Views: 2149 Posts: 16

2011-07-26 8:34 AM Davisjl

hands tingle/going numb on a long ride

Started by amills1210
Views: 3917 Posts: 13

2010-04-26 2:54 PM frogomatic

The hands Man, what about the Hands???

Started by jford2309
Views: 1573 Posts: 12

2009-11-05 9:18 PM Daremo

Interesting Experiment - Right Hand v Left Hand Pages: 1 2

Started by jacasa
Views: 2541 Posts: 28

2008-07-29 9:10 AM runningwoof

toes tingle when biking

Started by mikep
Views: 852 Posts: 6

2007-09-01 9:15 AM msteele
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : April 23, 2009
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : March 19, 2007
Stability Ball Hand Opposite Knee Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 7, 2007
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : September 3, 2005
Now we will add in the focus on how you will enter your hands in the water upon recovery, and how to rotate to the next side.

date : November 28, 2004
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!