General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will I need a wetsuit for this race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-19 10:06 PM

, Tennessee
Subject: Will I need a wetsuit for this race?
I am new to triathalon and am hoping to do my first sprint in October (Heber Springs, AR). The swim is a tad short of standard sprints (500 yards). The lake temperature is usually in the mid-70s according to the race website. I know above 78 wetsuits are not allowed, but if the temperature is say...73-76,should I wear one? Will it not matter at that temp and only 500 yards or will I be miserable without one? I have NEVER even put on a wetsuit. I really don't want to purchase one until the spring and only if I am going to get into this long term. I love the training, but want to do a race first before I start purchasing a lot of stuff. On the other hand, I know I need to practice in the wetsuit anyway just in case and I don't want to be that idiot that gets hypothermia because she tried to swim without one at that temp.Thoughts? If I did use one, would a sleeveless be ok for that temp?

2015-08-19 10:23 PM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Will I need a wetsuit for this race?
At those temps, I think you'd be fine without a wetsuit. I've not heard of too many people that aren't MORE obsessed with triathlon after they do a race, but you could certainly do the first sprint and then wait until later on a purchase. Another option would be to rent. Several companies including DeSoto and XTerra have online rentals that you can do. Some will even credit the cost of the rental back to a purchase if you go that route.
2015-08-19 10:28 PM
in reply to: #5135987

Comfort is very personal. If they forbid it at 76 where you live, i would be surprised if you get hypotermia for one less degree (75).

I personally did all my triathlon without wetsuit. Some triathlon the water was Hotter then the air (water 68 vs 55 air). I would just do it the way you enjoy it the most.

À lot of poeple will tell you otherwise because the wetsuit helps floating.

I suspect i live upper on the north then you do since 75 seems quite hot to me. Still, i would not worry. Remember that you will be racing and generating heat.
2015-08-20 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This stuff is very individual. In general, if the race is wetsuit legal (below 78), most triathletes will wear one. My guess is that it's mainly because so many are not confident swimmers and are at least psychologically attached to the additional buoyancy that the wetsuit provides. While it's doubtful you'd become dangerously hypothermic during a 500m swim in 73-76 degree water, it's possible, if you're very thin, cold-blooded, and/or unable to swim hard enough to work up much body heat, you might be uncomfortable. I find that a good compromise for those conditions is a sleeveless or (what I have) a sleeveless shortie wetsuit that ends above the knees. It comes off much faster than a full wetsuit, but provides some extra warmth to the core (my back tends to cramp when I'm cold, which slows me down), allows complete freedom of movement, and gives a modest buoyancy boost. I've worn mine for conditions down to 70-72; below 70 I am definitely in a full suit. I think that between the faster speed of taking it off and the somewhat smaller buoyancy boost, it pretty much balances out and puts one on an equal footing with athletes wearing a full wetsuit. On the other hand, if you're NOT cold-blooded, and are a strong swimmer, you might be just as well off not bothering with a wetsuit at all in those temps. Can you swim in the venue, or another lake with temps in the 70's, beforehand to get an idea how you will deal with different water temps?
2015-08-20 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Personally, I'd go without a wet-suit for a 500 yd swim in mid 70's water.
It's your first race - skip the wet-suit (have one less thing to buy and worry about) and enjoy the race!
2015-08-20 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by RockTractor Personally, I'd go without a wet-suit for a 500 yd swim in mid 70's water. It's your first race - skip the wet-suit (have one less thing to buy and worry about) and enjoy the race!

I fully agree with this. I don't think water temps in the mid-upper 70's for a 500yd swim will pose any problems. I swam my 1st Oly without a wetsuit with a water temp around 76-77. If (as most of us did) you become hooked after this 1st one, there's plenty of time and gear to get later. Enjoy!

Edited by dbrook1 2015-08-20 3:18 PM

2015-08-21 8:26 AM

User image

It depends on your goals and your swim ability. Wetsuits make you go faster. If you are not a very good swimmer, it will be more of an effect than if you are a good swimmer. Also, since they are buoyant, they will help you float if you get into trouble. This gave me a lot of comfort at my first race.

At that temperature, you would be fine with a sleeveless, sleeved or without a wetsuit. If you want to go for time, it might be beneficial to you to get a wetsuit however, you should practise getting in and out of one and swimming with one before the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will I need a wetsuit for this race? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

need a wetsuit for an upcoming race

Started by msjtriathlete
Views: 800 Posts: 4

2011-05-16 12:38 PM tjh

Anybody wear a wetsuit in non-wetsuit races?

Started by ChiefBrody
Views: 1324 Posts: 12

2009-05-20 3:16 PM tkd.teacher

NEED HeLP - First Tri and need wetsuit

Started by sdl135
Views: 1512 Posts: 4

2008-05-20 8:02 AM nevergivin

Wetsuits, wetsuits, wetsuits

Started by joemac3
Views: 1885 Posts: 12

2007-09-04 7:40 PM haygosl

Indoor race swim..wetsuit or no wetsuit

Started by Buzzyman
Views: 1348 Posts: 4

2005-05-02 6:14 PM JGFTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : August 7, 2007
author : newinboston
comments : 6
Some would say there are easier ways to get in shape, and they are probably right. My first worry was being able to squeeze into a wetsuit by race day.