General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Bottles at IM Branded Races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-20 7:58 AM

User image

Subject: Water Bottles at IM Branded Races
I have a bottle carrier behind my seat. They work great and hold onto standard water bottles perfect.

I did a HIM a couple weeks ago and at the bike stations they were handing out retail bottles of water (Aquafina or something). They were slightly smaller in diameter than a normal water bottle and would bounce out in a couple minutes.

My cages are plastic and can't be squeezed tighter. I need that bottle for hydration and I don't want to get a penalty for littering. I don't want to reach back and find nothing but air!

Question: Does anyone know if IM hands out those retail style bottles on the bike course (I'm doing IMWI) or a true water bottle?

2015-08-20 8:53 AM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Water Bottles at IM Branded Races
It depends on what race it is. I think at IM Vietnam 70.3 Aquafina made an appearance. I never totally rely on the fluids on the course and in HIM I won't stop on the bike leg except in an emergency. Suggest you check with race info or with the director if you plan to do so. If they will be giving out water in plastic bottles, one option could be a refillable aerobottle in front. Profile Design makes some good one. You can easily fill it from a retail bottle by squeezing it into the top. This is what I use for my "emergency" reservoir that I would refill at an aid station f I ran out of fluids or lost a bottle off the back.
2015-08-20 12:07 PM

User image

I definitely experienced that problem in both of the IM branded HIMs in which I participating this year (Syracuse 70.3 and Steelhead 70.3.) The Gatorade bottles fit snugly so I put those in the carrier behind my seat but could only carry the water bottle in the vertical carrier under me.
2015-08-20 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

IMFL used Deer Park water when I was there.  The bottles they pass out go between by arms.  That way my arms keep it secure.  I have my nutrition (calorie) bottle on the down tube.  Behind my seat is a bottle pod for flat kit.

2015-08-20 2:39 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I ran into the same problem with the retail bottle not being the right size for the bike racks.  At the athlete meeting before my first Triathlon  the race director said that all the aid station would have water bottle that fit into standard bike racks and that we could swap out to carry on our bike or else just use them to refill bottles on our bike.  I had a 74 ounce (2.2 Liter) hydration system behind my seat with a straw that came down the cross tube and up to my aero bars so I could drink from that tank with out having to move or reach.  I also have a 18 oz bottle for the cage of my bike mounted on the up bar.  Since I was going to be able to get another bottle 6 miles into the ride at the first aid station I opted to drink all the fluid in the 18 oz bottle prior to the race and just get wait for the aid station to add another water bottle to the bike.  When I got to the aid station during the race I was disappointing to learn the bottle were too small for standard water bottle racks on bikes and that the bottle would fall out if I tired to carry it with me.  So I took a few quick swigs and left it at the aid station and was on my way.  Every aid station I took in as much fluid as I could as I passed through but was not able to get as much fluid from the course as I had planned on and my 74 oz tank ran dry with 10 miles left to go on the 56 mile course.   I might have made it if I didn't have double flat tires that require that I sit on hot blacktop for about an hour on a very hot day.  As it was my legs were cramping before I got of the bike and I had to stop and walk to work out cramps 2-3 times on the run.   I was thinking that in need to get some Koozies and try them out to see if a regular bottle would stay in the bottle rack if I were to slide it into a Koozie before placing it in the rack.  The Koozies could probably fit in the pocked of a tri shirt then I would be ready what what ever was available.    I am on injury with a concussion for a while so I won't be able to try this but yes it defiantly is a problem to only have bottles at aid stations during the bike portion of 70.3 and 140.6 races that you can't take on the bike with you.  

Ironically I would have loved to have a standard sized water bottle to carry with me between aid station on the run in the 95 deg F temperatures but all they offered on the run were 3 oz paper cups of water.  I downed about 5-6 of them at ever aid station but could have saved a lot of time if I could have just grabbed a bottle to carry with me then dumped it at the next aid station.  I would have stayed better hydrated and cooler that way too.

2015-08-21 3:14 AM
in reply to: #5136022

I did IMWI last year. Rough rodes and the grocery store water bottles. I too have the back bottle holders and two on the frame. I drink the down frame bottles first, and change those out at each water station -- the rears I use as my reserve tank so they are never switched out (given no point when they will bounce out). I almost always run near dry by the end, but not so much that I end up depleted.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Bottles at IM Branded Races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

water bottle etiquette during a race

Started by cologuppy
Views: 1027 Posts: 6

2008-06-18 11:03 AM Aikidoman

Race Day: What goes in the water bottle?

Started by Invigilator
Views: 1484 Posts: 15

2008-05-25 1:09 PM DerekL

Xterra race: Camelbak or Water Bottle?

Started by kzoo_camp
Views: 741 Posts: 5

2007-05-03 12:13 PM jcjsc00

Water Bottle that keeps water cold

Started by tlane
Views: 1232 Posts: 10

2006-06-12 11:22 AM wsm9363

Water Conditions at Tempe Town Lake - Home of IM AZ and SOMA 1/2 IM

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 2656 Posts: 2

2004-10-22 6:55 PM SwmBkRn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
date : July 30, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.