General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a Half Ironman before a Full Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-20 1:13 PM

Subject: Doing a Half Ironman before a Full Ironman
Just wondering if anyone has advice on the time period between doing a 70.3 and a full Ironman? I can't find to much about a good time period in between these two events. I appreciate any input/experience.

2015-08-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: ameltz

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Doing a Half Ironman before a Full Ironman

If you're talking about in the same season, like a 70.3 as a practice race leading up to a 140.6, a good window I read a lot is between 8-10 weeks before your 140.6 race. 

2015-08-20 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I've done a 70.3 in various stages of my IM training.

This year was pretty much perfect timing, about 2 months out.

You want to look at your training plan and see where the 70.3 best matches up, that will be about 8 12 weeks prior to your IM date.

You could do the 70.3 later, but at some point, I don't think it helps your IM training because you are diverting with a race, that means taper and recovery periods.
2015-08-20 2:52 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by metafizx I've done a 70.3 in various stages of my IM training. This year was pretty much perfect timing, about 2 months out. You want to look at your training plan and see where the 70.3 best matches up, that will be about 8 12 weeks prior to your IM date. You could do the 70.3 later, but at some point, I don't think it helps your IM training because you are diverting with a race, that means taper and recovery periods.

^^^This^^^ is a pretty good way to approach it.

Another way that I like for the first time IM athlete is to put a little more time between the two.  Anywhere from 12-16 weeks works well.  Then we train for the HIM, race it, take 1-2 weeks of unstructured goof off time, then resume training to bridge up from the HIM to the IM.  There are canned plans out there called bridge plans (I believe this site offers one).  Another good one is Gale Bernhardt's 13 weeks to a 13 hour Ironman plan.  

2015-08-20 3:12 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
In addition to what has already been said, I wouldn't recommend what some people do and approach the HIM at IM effort. Plan to race the HIM according to your fitness or don't waste your time and money on a "short" IM training session.

Shane
2015-08-20 3:19 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

If you're an experienced triathlete that has done HIMs and IM(s) before, then I think 8-10 weeks can work (or less).  The fitness level, volume, and nutrition requirements are nothing new to you, so there isn't that much of a difference in rolling from a HIM to IM rather quickly.

If you've already done a season of HIMs and know how  your body responds to high volume training, and how your body responds after a HIM race, but are targeting your first IM, I think Don's advice of 12+ weeks might be a little more prudent.  It will give you more time to experiment with your nutrition and pacing specific to IM.  It will also give you more time to adapt to longer swims, rides, and runs that you may not have done previously in HIM training.

If you're talking about your first HIM and first IM, then I would actually recommend having a season or two in between.  If you come from a big endurance background then maybe not so much, but if the thought of your first HIM is to just survive...then you probably have a much longer road building the base for IM.  Of course that depends on your goals.  If one just wants to finish both events then it's certainly possible.  I didn't do my first IM until 2.5 years after my first HIM.

YMMV.

2015-08-20 3:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Jason makes a great point that I overlooked. If it is your first for both distances, I would recommend a season where you do just HIM(s). Then, the following season, plan your first IM.

Shane
2015-08-20 10:56 PM

Originally posted by ameltz

Just wondering if anyone has advice on the time period between doing a 70.3 and a full Ironman? I can't find to much about a good time period in between these two events. I appreciate any input/experience.

No less than 2 months (as others suggest) - you wouldn't want to miss a fun filled 6hr bike leading up to IM day! Far as a progression towards IM, do whatever you want. Just finishing IM is not a big of deal as some will have you believe, following a moderate training plan, so I would never suggest a multi-annual build towards IM. And if you fall short of your IM goals (or DNF), drop another $800 and try again. We (or most of us) do this for fun and fitness, so don't over think it. Listen to your body; except when it says to walk during the IM run - at that point, keep going
2015-08-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: GAkin

User image

Elite
Ontario

I think someone stated it above, but I'll highlight it again - understand how long it takes you to truly recover from a HIM effort (not just that your legs don't hurt anymore).  I know that for me I'm on the slow side of recovery, and if I ever do a full IM then I won't race a HIM in the same season, unless it's spaced about 16 weeks apart.  Another option is to race an Olympic hard about 8 weeks out - still a very good gauge of fitness, and recovery should be much quicker and not impact the overall training for the IM.

2015-08-23 12:23 AM
in reply to: GAkin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well shoot, I did a half iron training day 4 weeks out from my iron distance triathlon ( which is in a week )

That said, I didn't race it, I tried to use my goal iron distance paces to get a feel for everything, which I am being on the conservative side, and recovered EXTREMELY quickly from it. :p

IMO it really depends how hard you're doing the HIM as to how close you'd want it to be, as well as the experience and recovery times from longer harder efforts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a Half Ironman before a Full Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full/Half Ironman

Started by akrenik
Views: 1290 Posts: 10

2012-09-28 4:52 PM obohlman

Half Ironman before Full Ironman

Started by dmiller5
Views: 1133 Posts: 4

2012-06-19 10:17 AM BigDH

Time between Half and Full Ironman

Started by may26baf
Views: 989 Posts: 7

2010-02-15 1:46 PM may26baf

Ironman training plan for someone not doing an ironman

Started by amyro1234
Views: 2540 Posts: 23

2008-06-06 12:53 PM David tri's

Sprint to full or half Ironman Pages: 1 2

Started by allez
Views: 2320 Posts: 29

2007-02-03 2:59 PM allez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.