General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitch vs roof rack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-20 1:52 PM

New user
Greensboro, NC
Subject: Hitch vs roof rack
Just bought a new car and was wondering which is better for transporting my bike. Hitch or roof rack. I have neither a hitch or roof rack rails so will have to purchase either. Carrying one or two bikes. And my car is a '15 Honda Accord. Thx

2015-08-20 3:35 PM
in reply to: #5136076

Subject: RE: Hitch vs roof rack
I have a Yakima kingpin 2 bike hitch rack and I've never had any problems w it. I've had it for over 10 years and it still works great. I never looked at roof racks because they seem to be more difficult to get the bikes on and off of and I see photos on the Internet of people forgetting they're there and destroying bikes and garage doors and other structures. (Search google for a good laugh)

If you go w a hitch, I've found that my local Uhaul store had the best price for purchasing and installing the new hitch. And, when you get rid of the car, they only charge like $30 to pull it off so I can sell to someone or use on another car.

Also, my Yakima is compatible with different size hitch tongues, so you could get the lightest duty hitch and use the proper adaptor for the mount and be all set.

I don't like that both of these options leave the bikes exposed to the elements, so I've lately resorted to making room in the vehicle when at all possible. I did however purchase a bike cover that goes over my bike and the rack while on the road. I use that as a last option. It sucks to spend thousands on something and then leave it outside while you cruise down I75 with salt on the highway...

Let me know if you have specific questions, I'm happy to help.
2015-08-28 2:18 AM
in reply to: CW22

User image

Pro
Tejas
Hitch
2015-09-05 10:38 PM
in reply to: patterson72

I prefer a hitch. I sometimes catch rides from people with roof racks and find it cumbersome to hoist my bike on top of the car. After a long tough ride, the last thing I want to do is lift my bike up in the air and load it. Hitch racks are nice and easy for me to load but do add a bit of length to the car so you have to be mindful with parking. The same can be said with the roof rack as I know a few people who forgot they have bikes on the roof and crashed into drive throughs, parking garages etc. :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hitch vs roof rack Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Roof vs Trunk vs backseat Pages: 1 2

Started by BCoop8184
Views: 2154 Posts: 29

2008-05-12 1:32 PM ChrisM

Hitch Bike Racks

Started by RickLapinski
Views: 947 Posts: 8

2007-04-06 9:34 PM RickLapinski

Hitch racks which would you recommend???

Started by janaleigh79
Views: 721 Posts: 4

2006-02-09 6:33 AM tri_it_cajun_style

Hitch or roof carrier?

Started by cobannero
Views: 964 Posts: 5

2005-04-15 10:29 AM cobannero

Hitch or roof carrier Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
Views: 2392 Posts: 39

2005-04-16 8:26 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!
date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!