General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike build questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-21 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: bike build questions
I recently posted a Q on the triathlon talk forum about grease, and thought I ought to start a new thread for these questions...
I am building up a frame I bought a number of years back, using parts I took off another frame today, as well as a few items I accumulated along the way.It is my first time assembling a bike ...

The brake set I removed from the Javelin (diacompe) does not fit onto the new frame (Old Cannondale multisport 2000).
The front brake went on ok, but the rear brake has an issue. The allen key 'nut' that is supposed to fit into the hole on the horizontal part bridging the seat stays is too small. Do these allen or hex-head 'nuts' come in more than one outer diameter?? It obviously fit into the hole on the Javelin frame as it held the brake on just fine, but seems to be one size too large for the Cannondale...

2nd Q - When routing the brake cable thru the brake lever, then outside of the base bar into a small hole in the Vision base bar, should I be using a very short section of cable housing? The cable goes out the back of the lever, then into a small hole in the base bar, then inside the base bar until it comes out the back of the base bar, at which point it will need the housing to route it down to the brakes.
Is there somewhere a very clear picture of the cable routing BEFORE the bar tape is added?

3rd question re crankset removal. I have not seen a crankset like this before... On the driveside, outside of the spindle at center, is a 'quarter' -sized 'cover'?? with two very small holes opposite one another. I hope the description makes sense. Does this need to be removed? If so, how? What tool?

4th Q the inline barrel adjusters were SO rusted that they both broke when I tried to remove them... Are these necessary, or just nice to have?

Thanks a million for any help, and I am sure to have more questions .... like how the hell does one keep brake cable from fraying ??

2015-08-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: bike build questions
The brake set I removed from the Javelin (diacompe) does not fit onto the new frame (Old Cannondale multisport 2000).
The front brake went on ok, but the rear brake has an issue. The allen key 'nut' that is supposed to fit into the hole on the horizontal part bridging the seat stays is too small. Do these allen or hex-head 'nuts' come in more than one outer diameter?? It obviously fit into the hole on the Javelin frame as it held the brake on just fine, but seems to be one size too large for the Cannondale…

- There's a small variation in size. Any LBS should be able to help you with this. There's no such thing as different sizes though, so trial and error.

2nd Q - When routing the brake cable thru the brake lever, then outside of the base bar into a small hole in the Vision base bar, should I be using a very short section of cable housing? The cable goes out the back of the lever, then into a small hole in the base bar, then inside the base bar until it comes out the back of the base bar, at which point it will need the housing to route it down to the brakes.
Is there somewhere a very clear picture of the cable routing BEFORE the bar tape is added?

- If I remember right, you use a full length housing through the bars. It's not easily to fish through, but if you get an old brake cable and a magnet, you can guide that through the bar (feed it from the front and back). Then use that as a guide tool for your cable housing.

3rd question re crankset removal. I have not seen a crankset like this before... On the driveside, outside of the spindle at center, is a 'quarter' -sized 'cover'?? with two very small holes opposite one another. I hope the description makes sense. Does this need to be removed? If so, how? What tool?

- You would need to specify what crank you have to answer that question… The way you describe it though, no you wouldn't remove that. The crank would be removed from the non-drive side (you should have a hex key, probably 8 or 10mm on that side). You would need to hold the crank by inserting the hex key in the drive side (usually 6 or 8 mm).

4th Q the inline barrel adjusters were SO rusted that they both broke when I tried to remove them... Are these necessary, or just nice to have?

- Inline adjusters are good to have, but by no means necessary. It just makes it easier to take up any cable stretch. Quite frankly, I wouldn't use them for your derailleurs, but if yo have integrated brakes, an inline quick release make wheel removal so much easier and faster (unless you have Campy, where you have a built in release in the brake levers).

Thanks a million for any help, and I am sure to have more questions .... like how the hell does one keep brake cable from fraying ??

- Where does the cable fray? In the housing or at the end? The ends should be covered either with a crimp on cable end or what I prefer, heat shrink tubing. If it frays anywhere else, then you have a contact point due to a sharp bend… you need to route the cables so that doesn't happen.
2015-08-22 2:49 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: bike build questions
Jan
Thanks very much for the answers !!

Yep, I discovered via youtube - shout out to RJ the bike guy - that a single length of housing is used from the lever through the base bar... duh me !!

thanks again !

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike build questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Build Fork/Wheels Questions

Started by diggerjr80
Views: 722 Posts: 1

2010-04-16 8:30 AM diggerjr80

Bike build question

Started by Z-dog
Views: 915 Posts: 13

2007-03-15 11:31 PM Z-dog

Question about bike build kits.....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 572 Posts: 6

2006-08-15 11:33 AM browncd

Building my own bike question

Started by DRM
Views: 702 Posts: 7

2006-05-24 11:37 AM rbreddin75

Building bike question

Started by schroema
Views: 538 Posts: 6

2005-12-22 11:43 AM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?