General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to train for running?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-22 5:33 PM

Subject: Bike to train for running??
I have read a few different times that if you only have time for one type of workout session, that a biking workout also works out your running muscles but running does not work out your biking muscles. Meaning that if you train on the bike, it's also benefits your running. But if you are running, you are not really benefitting your biking all that much. I understand that running has it's cardio advantages but I am speaking mostly of muscle training.

Basically.... I was told that if you can only do one, ride the bike because it is a better two for one deal than running is.

Any truth to this?? I'd love to hear your opinions.

2015-08-22 5:55 PM
in reply to: Somnospeed

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Bike to train for running??
Unless you are completely untrained, pretty much false.

Shane
2015-08-22 9:53 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

Well I pretty much am completely untrained. I swim pretty regularly but I'm extremely new to that too. Perhaps I misunderstood what I read or maybe they were just full of s#&t. I don't have a lot of time to train so I am just looking to get the max for the minimum if I only have 45 min to an hour to train.
2015-08-22 9:59 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

Going from completely untrained I actually noticed a huge improvement primarily cycling! I highly don't recommend it, but it will help you with your endurance without the impact of running.
2015-08-23 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Somnospeed

Well I pretty much am completely untrained. I swim pretty regularly but I'm extremely new to that too. Perhaps I misunderstood what I read or maybe they were just full of s#&t. I don't have a lot of time to train so I am just looking to get the max for the minimum if I only have 45 min to an hour to train.

For someone who is untrained, aerobic gains in any of the three sports are likely to help in the other two. However, once one gets to the point of not being untrained, then any further adaptations are going to be specific to the sport.

Since you are new to biking and running, it is likely that you'll be able to spend more time riding than running since 45 minutes for a novice runner is quite a long run but should be a doable ride. Depending on how long you are able to run, you may be able to add some riding to your run days for some extra training stress. So if you're running for 20 minutes, then you could add 30 minutes of riding after your run and still be in the 60 minute window.

Shane
2015-08-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Champion
Originally posted by Lupy

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

Going from completely untrained I actually noticed a huge improvement primarily cycling! I highly don't recommend it, but it will help you with your endurance without the impact of running.

Which is why I said "unless...completely untrained...false."

Shane

2015-08-23 10:17 AM

It's more of the vice versa, that running will help your cycling more than the other way around. 

In running, you will be more limited by the ability of your legs to both turnover and take the pounding of both training and racing, which cycling does not account for. So even if you have a huge bike engine, you will be greatly limited by the capacity of your legs to take these abuses in running, due to its weight bearing and high impact nature. 

In contrast, until you're a FOP biker, running has a huge x-over to cycling. There are no fast pure runners who are BOP cyclists, even right off the back, in triathlon. Even with near-zero bike experience, a varsity high school x-country runner will be much faster than a MOP cyclist in triathlon, and will be a true FOP cyclist with minimal training. In contrast, that same x-country runner could (and likely will) be stuck as a BOP or BOMOP swimmer for quite awhile if they have no swim experience, even if they train like crazy.

2015-08-23 2:00 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Are you talking on an occasional basis or as a regular training routine?

Running in general is harder on the body, but you get more fitness bang for your buck in a workout of the same length. So I would say if you "only" have 45-60 minutes to train, then you'll benefit more from running assuming you can run that far.

But ideally you'd be doing both on a regular basis, because there is nothing better than sport-specific training.
2015-08-23 2:26 PM
in reply to: 0

Well when I say "only" 45 minutes it's a lot less than that. I spend 10-15 minutes of that stretching, warm up and cool down. So that leaves 30 minutes total . I don't run for 30 minutes straight when I train though. I'll only run that long if I'm doing a 5k race, which I havent been doing this season. I trained for a super sprint Tri that was back in July. I had more time to train then though. I have another super sprint in two weeks that is very short. 200 m swim, 6 miles bike, 1 mile run' (yeah I know, probably the shortest Tri ever but 100% longer than sitting home on the couch.) I haven't been training as much as I've wanted to but at this point, I'm thinking the bike would be my best bet to make up some time, being that that is by far the longest part of this tri.

Yeah I know this tri is baby steps, but I want to be competitive before I move to the sprint level. At this point I want to see how close to the front I can finish because I have a tendency to raise the bar too fast and then just hover around the back of the pack. This time I'm going to get good at what I'm doing before I move up to longer distances. At this point in my life I don't have time enough to train for the long stuff.

Edited by Somnospeed 2015-08-23 2:27 PM
2015-08-24 8:44 PM

If you don't have time to do both, why not just do one and be content with that? If you focus just on running, there are a ton of events you could train for and compete in. If you focus just on cycling, you'll be able to find 'some' events, but the fields will be smaller and more challenging at first. It's not realistic to just train one and expect to compete in both.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to train for running?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sat-Sun: Bike-Run or Run-Bike

Started by morey000
Views: 1214 Posts: 13

2010-09-18 6:03 PM morey000

Run-Bike or Bike-Run ?

Started by MaverickNH
Views: 1579 Posts: 8

2010-02-21 8:48 AM AndrewMT

Bike training similar to run training?

Started by cornfed
Views: 631 Posts: 2

2009-10-24 1:14 PM rc63413

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4830 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

Run more = run faster, bike more = bike faster?

Started by trey800hj
Views: 2601 Posts: 10

2009-02-23 9:04 PM newbz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Several years ago, I got the urge to do a triathlon. When my second pregnancy occurred almost immediately following the first, I mentioned to my sister-in-law that I would never get around to.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
On August 31 I officially became a triathlete. With a big day ahead of me I went to bed early the night before. I woke up at 4:45 am. I was full of energy and ready to go!

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.
author : sherrick
comments : 1
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.