General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CX brake ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-22 9:56 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: CX brake ?
I know this is off topic, but I was hoping some of you would be knowledgeable enough to help me out.

I'm thinking about building myself a cyclocross bike. The only part that I'm confused about are the brakes. Can I use standard SRAM or Shimano STI levers (ex. Red shifters) with cantilever brakes, mech disc, or hydraulic discs? Any input on what you like best and why? I would prefer whatever setup works with standard shifters because I should be able to find those used easily.

Thanks!

2015-08-23 8:01 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: CX brake ?
I dont have a CX bike but want one and have considered adapting a hybrid to a CX bike a number of times. The regular brifters that you might have gotten from a road bike will have a shorter pull than what CX canti brakes might need. There are helpers that introduce a cam to the brake system to lengthen the pull but my opinion is that its just another thing to go wrong. You also have mechanical discs which can be used with cable pull brake levers and even cable pull/hydrolic disc brakes. In the end I always end up getting frustrated, envision spending hundreds to half bake a lousy brake system on a crappy hybrid with the wrong geometry and end up looking for a used Kona Jake.

Do your research thoroughly as it seems to be a bit of a mine field in terms of what will work with what.

For a "cost is no object" exercise I would go for the Sram hydro brifters and be done with it. It will be spendy but you will have outstanding brakes.
2015-08-23 3:41 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by DaveL

I dont have a CX bike but want one and have considered adapting a hybrid to a CX bike a number of times. The regular brifters that you might have gotten from a road bike will have a shorter pull than what CX canti brakes might need. There are helpers that introduce a cam to the brake system to lengthen the pull but my opinion is that its just another thing to go wrong. You also have mechanical discs which can be used with cable pull brake levers and even cable pull/hydrolic disc brakes. In the end I always end up getting frustrated, envision spending hundreds to half bake a lousy brake system on a crappy hybrid with the wrong geometry and end up looking for a used Kona Jake.

Do your research thoroughly as it seems to be a bit of a mine field in terms of what will work with what.

For a "cost is no object" exercise I would go for the Sram hydro brifters and be done with it. It will be spendy but you will have outstanding brakes.

Thanks! at least I'm not the only one with this issue. More HW to do.
2015-08-23 9:23 PM

Hi. I suggest that you first decide or check if you have 10-speed and 9-speed components. I've read from another forum that the user is combining 10-speed road STI levers with 9-speed Shimano MTB rear derailleurs and the combination works quite well.
2015-08-23 10:50 PM
in reply to: wildnrg001

User image

Expert
TRP's HY-RD brakes work with regular shifters.
http://www.cxmagazine.com/trp-hy-rd-hydraulic-disc-brakes-review-ro...

I had Avid BB7 on my Redline Cyclocross bike and moved the TRPs. So much better.

I recently picked up a new CX that came with Shimano hydraulic brakes, wow. The BR-785 are the nicest road bike disc I've tried. Great modulation, great feel, great levers. The TRPs are nice, the Shimano are the next level nice.
2015-08-24 6:41 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

1) There are many cable-actuated disc brake calipers that are meant to be used with standard road brake levers. I've used Avid BB-5's, BB-7's, and TRP Spyres. As already stated, I like the Spyres by far more than the Avids.

2) There is the hybrid cable-actuated/hydraulic caliper on the market (HyRd, I think it's called) which will work with your standard road brake levers.

3) There are a few road hydraulic disc brake systems out there, by SRAM and Shimano (and it looks like Rotor is getting in on the action with a complete hydraulic brake AND shift system). But... These are complete systems -- you have to use the hydraulic road levers matched to the component group and brakes

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CX brake ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vittoria EVO CX valve stem ? for disc

Started by peewee
Views: 611 Posts: 1

2012-07-24 4:20 PM peewee

Open Corsa EVO CX tire direction???

Started by cstoulil
Views: 1973 Posts: 6

2011-07-24 6:17 AM axteraa

Garmin 305 or 405 (cx) Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 3957 Posts: 26

2011-01-07 8:47 AM jillian_o

CX Brake Fail

Started by yeats
Views: 2077 Posts: 17

2010-12-27 5:01 PM mgalanter

Aero Brakes vs TT brakes?

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 919 Posts: 4

2006-01-13 3:10 PM luv2flyjrn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.