General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Purchase Advise Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-23 6:51 AM

Subject: Bike Purchase Advise Needed
I see an earlier post asking about 10 speed vs 11 speed on a new tri bike and I have a similar question that I could use some advise on. In my situation the 11 is about $200-300 more than the 10 speed.... Is it worth the extra to get the 11 or should I save the dough and snag the 10?

My road bike is 10 speed, but I don't really plan to share parts. Might look for a better wheel set for the tri bike next season tho.

Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated!

2015-08-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: Tomjones77

Subject: RE: Bike Purchase Advise Needed
If your road bike is a 10 speed, I'd recommend saving the money and staying with 10 speed. The ability to swap parts (even if you don't plan to, you might need to one day) is the reason why all of my bikes share the same drivetrain. Things like cassettes, wheels, a hub based power meter, or extra parts like chains are easier to stock up on if the parts are all compatible.

Just my opinion, I'm sure there are compelling arguments to "upgrade" to the 11 speed. Listen to both sides and decide what works best for you.
2015-08-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: Tomjones77

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Same situation. I bought a new road bike this month, and went with 11-speed.

My tri bike and old roadie are both 10s.

So far this has not been an issue. I don't plan to share wheels between the bikes, so no problems there. It will complicate my "drive stain spares" and I'll have to keep spare chains and cassettes separated, but I don't think that'll be a problem.
2015-08-24 10:00 AM
in reply to: #5136401

Thanks for both of your responses. I realized this morning that my road bike is actually a 9 speed, so sharing parts isn't going to be a factor. Part of me thinks that the 10 will be more than enough and 105 is better than my current Sora set. The $300 or so may be better spent on a wheel set or other accessories in the future... I just don't want to regret not having the 11 speed model some day.... Any thoughts?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Purchase Advise Needed Rss Feed