General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Tri suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-24 2:12 PM

Subject: First Sprint Tri suggestions
The next scheduled sprint tri that I can actually be ready for isn't until next March or April in my area.

With that said, I'm looking for training suggestions based on my current status. Currently my swimming is awful and I can only swim 100M before having to rest on my back. I'm starting my first swimming lesson tomorrow. As for biking and running, I run about 3 miles each day (5 days a week), and I bike here and there....honestly the bike is of no concern as it relates to a sprint or Olympic tri. I feel like I could bike either distance with no problem. One thing I'll add is my running pace is basically a crawl (10-11 min/mile) and I'd like to be in the 8-9 min/mile range.

I'm currently losing weight and have about 10 more pounds to go. Should I bike on occasion while focusing my efforts on swimming and running longer distances? Then once I'm 3-4 months out from the sprint tri, I could start an official sprint tri training plan? See any flaws or have any better ideas?

2015-08-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: bob_frapples

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: First Sprint Tri suggestions
Since most sprint tri swims are between 500 to 800m, the swim lessons sound like a good idea for you. Later, if you can join a swim practice group as you get better, that will help.

Your running could improve by looking for a running group that does intervals on the track. That will help your speed. Right now, sounds like you are doing the same run all week, if you can change one of those to a track workout, and drop one run, I think that would be better.

I'd add at least 2 bike rides a week, at good intensity. doesn't have to be far, but good effort.
2015-08-24 8:57 PM

Having just completed my first, here's a few thoughts. I would start tri training now, and ramp it up over the next few months.

Biking and running improve on repetition. I would bike twice a week, and run 4+ times a week. You don't have to bike much more than the sprint distance, but just try to improve your time over "x" miles each time. With regards to running, to gain speed once a week you should do intervals. I started doing 1/4 mile sprints with 1/4 mile cool downs, and did this for 3-4 miles. Get one longer run in a week, maybe 5 miles. And do one tempo run a week running a couple of miles close to race pace sandwiched with warm-up and cool-down speed.

When you get a couple of months out from the race, start doing 1-2 bricks a week. Do a 7-10 mile bike and get home and immediately go out for a 2-3 mile run. Maybe you can do a swim/bike combo.

One thing I learned in my first tri is that pool swimming was not very good preparation for my first open water swim. I struggled mightily in the swim portion because I did no OWS training.
2015-08-25 3:40 AM
in reply to: metalmancpa

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm no running (or swimming.....or biking) expert.....but, everything I've ever been told says no speed work until you've built a solid base.

Is that incorrect?
2015-08-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5136626

User image

My best advice is to work on swim form rather than swim speed. I signed up for masters swimming when I first started. Regular workouts made me faster but I had to eventually relearn to break my bad habits.
2015-08-25 11:20 AM

, Idaho
However you dial your plan in, 1st make sure that you have a plan that you track and stick to, and 2nd, be consistent.

Swimming - Lessons are a great idea. Try to get into a masters group if there's one in your area. Hit the pool at least 3x per week.

Running - 5 days a week is great. Run often, keep your pace easy as you build base.

Biking - Why not get a little more serious about biking. Go at least 3x per week. Make sure that 2 of the workouts are focused on intervals and some hard work.

If you implement what I have above, that's 11 workouts a week. If that doesn't work, adjust some things around...maybe run 4 days a week. Or if you really want to pound one area, you might go 4-5 workouts on one discipline and 2x on the other two or something like that.

I would suggest work on all 3 (swim, bike, run) pretty consistently right now, as you'll improve in all of them through the fall/winter. I wouldn't be "loosey goosey" about any of the three. That doesn't mean crazy volume, but rather deliberate, planned, focused, and consistent weeks.

2015-08-25 11:44 AM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

Originally posted by d.wilk

However you dial your plan in, 1st make sure that you have a plan that you track and stick to, and 2nd, be consistent.

Swimming - Lessons are a great idea. Try to get into a masters group if there's one in your area. Hit the pool at least 3x per week.

Running - 5 days a week is great. Run often, keep your pace easy as you build base.

Biking - Why not get a little more serious about biking. Go at least 3x per week. Make sure that 2 of the workouts are focused on intervals and some hard work.

If you implement what I have above, that's 11 workouts a week. If that doesn't work, adjust some things around...maybe run 4 days a week. Or if you really want to pound one area, you might go 4-5 workouts on one discipline and 2x on the other two or something like that.

I would suggest work on all 3 (swim, bike, run) pretty consistently right now, as you'll improve in all of them through the fall/winter. I wouldn't be "loosey goosey" about any of the three. That doesn't mean crazy volume, but rather deliberate, planned, focused, and consistent weeks.

Do you work in strength training? If so, how and what do you do?
2015-08-25 1:11 PM
in reply to: 0

, Idaho
Originally posted by mal08368

Originally posted by d.wilk

Do you work in strength training? If so, how and what do you do?

Yes. For me it's 3x per week after my shorter runs, so that I'm not having to add in another block of workout time. I always do core work, and then usually a circuit covering muscle groups I want to hit.

This is not always what I do, but here is a great list of exercises to put into a workout/circuit:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/mark-allen-s-12-best-stren...

I don't always do strength training during "tri season," but I will do it every week now until my next tri in the spring. There are differing opinions on strength training, so check out what others have said. Just remember, strength training is to support triathlon. Make sure what you are doing has a purpose to your muscles you use for triathlon. You're going to run, swim, and bike better by running swimming and biking more. So, work it in as you can without sacrificing other workouts. For example: You can do sit ups/crunches, pushups, planks, etc. at home for a few minutes each day at various times.

Edited by d.wilk 2015-08-25 1:12 PM
2015-08-25 9:36 PM
in reply to: d.wilk

User image

That Mark Allen plan is legit! I am def going to work that in.

THANKS!
2015-08-26 4:17 PM

I just completed my first Sprint Tri last month. It surprised me in a couple ways. First, the swim was "supposed" to be my weakest link. I had planned on doing 10 minutes if I could. I ended up at 8:41. My run was "supposed" to be my strongest. My plan was to stay at 8:45 pace. I absolutely bonked out on the run. Ended up with a pace of 10:08. I biked within my goal range.
The reason I am responding is your comment on the bike. If your goal is to just finish, that is great. I am no expert here, but if you want a decent time in the run, work on the bike. The bike will ruin your run if you don't practice it too. My bike pace was 18.8 over 15.7 miles of rolling hills. I felt I was saving some in reserve, but not as much as I thought. I know it's already been said, but running off the bike is huge. Practice Practice Practice. The cramps you will feel initially are not so much fun, but you can train into avoiding them for the most part. Like I said, I'm just a rookie for sure, but I know that coming out of T2 after the swim and bike, if you are not well practiced in those, the 5K will not be the most pleasant experience. This is not totally my own opinion, as after the race I asked a veteran Tri guy why he thought my run was so far off pace and so miserable physically, and he said "work more on the bike." Hope this helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Tri suggestions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri, First Post, First batch of questions :)

Started by Chris(NJ)
Views: 1422 Posts: 11

2011-07-29 8:41 AM japarker24

Going to do a Sprint Tri on Halloween - Suggestion for what costume I should wear

Started by JKLipsky
Views: 1857 Posts: 23

2010-08-29 2:41 PM portaledge

First tri is in six weeks...any suggestions?

Started by ehughes
Views: 1090 Posts: 7

2010-06-12 1:41 AM neilcarter

sprint tri prep, suggestions?

Started by evomike1
Views: 1458 Posts: 8

2008-03-23 9:01 AM evomike1

suggestions for first sprit tri ?

Started by avpant
Views: 848 Posts: 7

2005-11-16 9:09 AM huengsolo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.