Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-09-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Where did all the BTers go?
Originally posted by cdban66

I had an opportunity to go through my mailbox and clean out some old messages.  I popped a few of them open, as they were "Goodbye notes" to some old posters.  All of them were equal in that the stated reason to leave was that they were ready to move on. 

These things are cyclical in nature for many people.  Part of the cycle is the new folks that come in and the knowledge growth in the "New" old folks.  It happens, none of us will be the same forever.  That would be a different type of sad.  The only constant in life is change.

That's a good point, Chris. I can't even imagine if I was the same person I was when I was 20. I don't think I'd even be friends with myself!

2015-09-17 9:38 AM
in reply to: maxmattmick

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by maxmattmick still... nobody's answered the question... Where did they go?? like literally... where are they???

About half the folks on my BT friends list are long gone or post very infrequently anymore.  Lots of reasons they're gone:  Lost interest in the sport, career-ending illnesses & injuries,  family/job responsibilities, personal conflicts with someone here, a few got banned, some just got tired of BT,  and some just vanished.    

I've got about 30 folks on my FB friends list that I first met here on BT.   Of those only a handful are still active here.

I think that LB is right that things never stay the same forever.  Folks are going to come and go.  We're all here of our own free-will and can leave anytime.  After eleven years I still enjoy this place, but can't guarantee that I'll still be here a month or year from now.

Mark

2015-09-17 1:15 PM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Denver, Colorado
We, the new people, are cool and worth attention too
Mary
2015-09-17 3:22 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Elite
the desert

I don't check the forums like I used to. Of the friends list on my page, I think only 2 or 3 may be active and still log workouts. I'm still logging my workouts here because of all the history, but it is not the same BT that I remember.  The AZ forum used to be real active, now it's just crickets.

2015-09-18 7:48 PM
in reply to: Fitzy

User image

Pro
NorCal

Wow I have not been in a BT thread in ages!  I just raced this weekend and posted a race report and thought I would pop in.

Haven't read all of the pages here, but I agree the redesign killed BT for me, a cold-looking interface and not as user friendly.  I used to have a blast in COJ!  Of course my fav thread was Hot For Heels a.k.a. H4H!  The banter and innuendo was priceless!  

I have met some of my closest friends through BT while training/racing Ironman Kentucky.  It really felt like a community, we printed shirts and all sat together for the pre-race dinner.  I'm still in touch with those people, but through FB now.  I used to love logging on every morning and seeing all of the "inspires" on my training log....who knows maybe I will start logging again and see how it goes.

Nice to see some familiar names/faces in this thread

2015-09-18 9:04 PM
in reply to: AbbieR

Master
, California

We miss you Abbie

2015-09-18 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by AbbieR

Wow I have not been in a BT thread in ages!  I just raced this weekend and posted a race report and thought I would pop in.

Haven't read all of the pages here, but I agree the redesign killed BT for me, a cold-looking interface and not as user friendly.  I used to have a blast in COJ!  Of course my fav thread was Hot For Heels a.k.a. H4H!  The banter and innuendo was priceless!  

I have met some of my closest friends through BT while training/racing Ironman Kentucky.  It really felt like a community, we printed shirts and all sat together for the pre-race dinner.  I'm still in touch with those people, but through FB now.  I used to love logging on every morning and seeing all of the "inspires" on my training log....who knows maybe I will start logging again and see how it goes.

Nice race report, has everything from nose picking, massive boobs, grabbing and suck it! Nice job, good to see you back on COJ. Apparently you know how to have a better time than I do when I race!
2015-09-19 10:04 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
NorCal

Originally posted by spudone

We miss you Abbie

Thank you!!! Maybe this will be my comeback

2015-09-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Pro
NorCal

Originally posted by skipg

Nice race report, has everything from nose picking, massive boobs, grabbing and suck it! Nice job, good to see you back on COJ. Apparently you know how to have a better time than I do when I race!

LOL I try to appreciate the fact that I can be out there!!  Glad you liked it!

2015-09-19 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Always loved our RRs, just went back and read through several and yup....still love them! I hope you make this your comeback!
2015-09-19 6:28 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pro
NorCal

Originally posted by Atlantia

Always loved our RRs, just went back and read through several and yup....still love them! I hope you make this your comeback!

Thank you!!!  Yep I blogged today

2015-09-23 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I have been around a few years, since August 2006.  I have a few posts in TT and a couple in COJ, but most of mine we either in race reports, challenge groups, race groups or mentor threads.  I will say that although I didn't post much in TT or COJ, I did learn a lot from some now gone experienced triathletes reading through some of the threads.  I will add that many of the newbie mistakes I avoided were because of the time spent here reading.

As far as whether the mentor threads should stay or go, I have mixed feelings having mentored 3 or 4 and being a member of a couple of others.  I enjoyed the early days of the mentor threads as they were being used for what they were designed for, giving new members and future triathletes a safe haven to ask the questions that they might otherwise be intimidated to ask.   An opportunity to learn the site and the tools available.  I understand the desire of the members of the group to keep it going, but I also think this has changed the purpose of the mentor groups to a point that fewer new members are joining them. 

I find the race reports useful, but I might be in the minority.  I posted a report on a local race I did this weekend.  I think it might be 8 or 10 down on the first page.  This close to IMWI 5 years ago my report would have had double the views and still be 3 pages back.  I think that the FB race groups have impacted this as well as the race specific threads. 

When the site was upgrade I do think there was an impact.  I thought that the logging features and tools were a nice improvement, and probably one of the reasons I still log here.  But from a social perspective and keeping up with friends it became cumbersome at best.  Where I used to have a couple of dozen friends I would inspire back and forth with, it is now just a couple.  It just became easier to interact with them elsewhere. 

BTW, I think flip turns and Lance Armstrong caused many good posters to leave, either on their own or with a little help.

2015-09-23 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

We miss you Abbie

Shoes!

Wicked Weasels!

2015-09-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
what he said...

2015-09-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
NorCal

Originally posted by mrbbrad

We miss you Abbie

Shoes!

Wicked Weasels!

LOL I think I have finally figured out how to post a pic to BT from my MAC, this was easier with my old laptop.  I started a new body project for myself and want to post pics in my blog.

Edited by AbbieR 2015-09-24 9:10 PM
2015-10-12 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Sure was a good time! Such good memories.

2015-10-19 12:16 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion

We're going to combine some of these forums this week based on your input, I have the ticket submitted to the programmer.  We'll be working on some more ideas and bugs too.

2015-10-19 12:56 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Ron

We're going to combine some of these forums this week based on your input, I have the ticket submitted to the programmer.  We'll be working on some more ideas and bugs too.

Thanks for listening and taking action, Ron! :D
2015-10-22 8:11 PM
in reply to: #5136662

User image

Giver
2015-10-23 9:36 AM
in reply to: run4yrlif

User image

Hi! I need to get my two accounts merged. I'm back but would rather be posting from my old account.

Autumn aka Fixie
2015-10-23 10:38 AM
in reply to: fixie

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
All I can say is, if the two above posters are on BT, the band is definitely getting back together.

2015-10-23 2:11 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Wow, this is great.

2015-10-23 4:18 PM
in reply to: #5148472

User image

Giver
What have I missed?
2015-10-23 8:54 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by run4yrlif

What have I missed?

Dude.
2015-10-25 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by run4yrlifWhat have I missed?
May I ask you a question....
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  

of 16