Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-09-10 1:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Where did all the BTers go?

At the risk of sounding pompous yet again, I am going to repeat a post I made in 2010 on a somewhat similar thread regarding civility on BT.

Tech_Geezer’s Rules for Posting.

I am a long time member of this group and these are my rules for me. I really don’t expect others to share my views on use of the forums, but I do mean for my conduct to honor the ideals of Ron’s community that he described in the Guidelines for Healthy Discussion.

My goal in posting is to be informative or entertaining or, if possible, both. I only post if I have something unique, relevant, and personal to add. I do not repeat the conventional training wisdom; I give my own experience and ideas. If someone asks how to fix something and I’ve done it and know how, I tell them. If not, I let other people answer. I rarely pass on second hand information. When I do, I post the link rather than explain it myself. I generally try not to be the first responder to a question. I do not think I am likely to have the best information or most pertinent experience. Very often if I wait, my response is not needed at all. I do think every genuine question deserves an answer; so if a thread languishes for a while without a response, I will take a stab at it.

Humor is tricky. It makes the forums entertaining, but for me, it has to be good clean fun. I can make a joke about myself but I never make a joke at the expense of another person whether he or she is on this forum or not. This includes public figures. If I give offense, I apologize quickly and privately. Sarcasm is especially problematic. It can easily be misunderstood. Frequently, it has an element of criticism or making fun of someone. I just avoid it.

I mean to be the same person online as I am in real life or as closely as I can within the limitations of the medium. Of course this means to be absolutely truthful and precise about myself and my experience as I can be. If I ran 34:20, I say 34:20 not 34. I try to act my age and my marital status. I am 57 years old and married for 35 years to my high school sweetheart. I have little to add to a discussion among younger, single people about relationships so I stay out of these topics. That does not mean I don’t read them. I do find these discussions entertaining. Some of you are funny at a professional level. I just don’t post.

I try to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Most of my professional work involves technical writing. I keep my Gregg Reference Manual and Merriam-Webster dictionary handy and use them when I need them. Because I need to be careful all the time, I do not change my writing style online. I do not mean to be a grammar snob. I never correct anyone else’s writing. Other people may not place the same importance on careful writing as I; yet I can almost always understand what they mean. That is all I need.

When I post something, I want to be understood by everyone. Most here do not know me personally; so I try to give any information they might need to know to understand the context. I do not use inside jokes or obliquely refer to things not known to the entire community.

I do not enter into debate. I rarely post more than once on a thread. If someone takes issue with what I said, I check my post. If it is clear and I have not been misunderstood, then I let both opinions stand on their merit and say nothing further. I find little satisfaction in political debate and avoid these topics. I ignore any negative, argumentative, or insulting comments made in the forums. I am not the moderator and do not want to be.

I mean to be a generous, helpful, and positive member of the community. I used to give to every worthy cause mentioned on the site. The solicitations have dropped off but I still give to people and causes when they crop up. These forums are about triathlons and all sorts of personal achievements. I try to take note of significant achievements from losing ten pounds to finishing an Ironman.

My posts have dropped off a great deal since I first joined the community in January 2004. I still read the forums daily but find very little that I can add. Yes kids, I do know I am boring, and yes maybe I have too many rules.

TW

2015-09-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Correlation does not imply causation

I don't post in TT because of other factors not because time. 

Would you mind sharing the reason? Unltimately, the lack of traffic in TT is the main issue. Adding your n=1 will help determine the underlying causes.

Ok, since you are asking.

1. I feel, as I mentioned above that often, whether I start a new thread or reply that I am ignored. I am not sure why this is, it could be 100% on me whether it be the way I portray myself or my "tone" or maybe it's because I am female? I definitely can't say why. But I feel that I must be somehow qualified by someone else with an "x2" or something before what I say makes any impact, and at that point why not just let the "qualifier" do the talking. Again, I don't know why and I am not claiming to but it's how I feel.

2. LB, I'm going to candid and I think that you deserve honesty because I do respect you, and god knows you have thick skin (I do not!), but you can be kind of a jerk sometimes. This can't be news to you. Maybe you enjoy ruffling people's feathers, I don't know. I like discussing different theories, ideas and strategies because I realize there are a whole lot of ways to improve as an athlete and it is fascinating! But arguing on the internet isn't fun to me, especially when someone is being abrasive. Again, this is how I feel because I am specifically being asked. I cannot speak for anyone else. 

Thanks for sharing.  I have a couple thoughts:

1. I think that's part of the nature of a conversation in a forum.  I've frequently posted an answer to a question where the information I'm sharing I got directly from some of the most knowledgeable people in our sport, so I have a lot of confidence that I gave good advice, yet my reply is completely ignored when a couple other people chime in with an answer more in line with what the OP was hoping to hear.  Then the OP latches on to the other posts, without even acknowledging the other suggestions.  As long as it's not a situation where someone will be in serious danger by taking the bad advice, I've learned to just shrug, shake my head, and move on.  It used to bother me a lot when I witnessed people choosing ignorance, but then I realized that some people just want to hear what they want to hear, and it had nothing to do with what I (or you) said.  BTW, FWIW you're one of the people who's posts I always read with genuine interest.  There are some who I will just skim their post, or only read it for the entertainment value to see what their latest crack pot idea is.
  2. You're right.  He is a jerk.  

ETA:  Joking aside, I like discussions here with LB, because he's direct, and brings the perspective of the parent of a teenager racing near the highest level.  Those are both things that not too many people bring to these discussions.  I know I can be direct with him if I have a different perspective on the topic, and neither of us is going to offend the other.  Disagreeing with someone shouldn't mean that you don't respect them and their opinion.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-09-10 1:42 PM
2015-09-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by tech_geezer

At the risk of sounding pompous yet again, I am going to repeat a post I made in 2010 on a somewhat similar thread regarding civility on BT.

I am a long time member of this group and these are my rules for me. I really don’t expect others to share my views on use of the forums, but I do mean for my conduct to honor the ideals of Ron’s community that he described in the Guidelines for Healthy Discussion.

My goal in posting is to be informative or entertaining or, if possible, both. I only post if I have something unique, relevant, and personal to add. I do not repeat the conventional training wisdom; I give my own experience and ideas. If someone asks how to fix something and I’ve done it and know how, I tell them. If not, I let other people answer. I rarely pass on second hand information. When I do, I post the link rather than explain it myself. I generally try not to be the first responder to a question. I do not think I am likely to have the best information or most pertinent experience. Very often if I wait, my response is not needed at all. I do think every genuine question deserves an answer; so if a thread languishes for a while without a response, I will take a stab at it.

Humor is tricky. It makes the forums entertaining, but for me, it has to be good clean fun. I can make a joke about myself but I never make a joke at the expense of another person whether he or she is on this forum or not. This includes public figures. If I give offense, I apologize quickly and privately. Sarcasm is especially problematic. It can easily be misunderstood. Frequently, it has an element of criticism or making fun of someone. I just avoid it.

I mean to be the same person online as I am in real life or as closely as I can within the limitations of the medium. Of course this means to be absolutely truthful and precise about myself and my experience as I can be. If I ran 34:20, I say 34:20 not 34. I try to act my age and my marital status. I am 57 years old and married for 35 years to my high school sweetheart. I have little to add to a discussion among younger, single people about relationships so I stay out of these topics. That does not mean I don’t read them. I do find these discussions entertaining. Some of you are funny at a professional level. I just don’t post.

I try to use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Most of my professional work involves technical writing. I keep my Gregg Reference Manual and Merriam-Webster dictionary handy and use them when I need them. Because I need to be careful all the time, I do not change my writing style online. I do not mean to be a grammar snob. I never correct anyone else’s writing. Other people may not place the same importance on careful writing as I; yet I can almost always understand what they mean. That is all I need.

When I post something, I want to be understood by everyone. Most here do not know me personally; so I try to give any information they might need to know to understand the context. I do not use inside jokes or obliquely refer to things not known to the entire community.

I do not enter into debate. I rarely post more than once on a thread. If someone takes issue with what I said, I check my post. If it is clear and I have not been misunderstood, then I let both opinions stand on their merit and say nothing further. I find little satisfaction in political debate and avoid these topics. I ignore any negative, argumentative, or insulting comments made in the forums. I am not the moderator and do not want to be.

I mean to be a generous, helpful, and positive member of the community. I used to give to every worthy cause mentioned on the site. The solicitations have dropped off but I still give to people and causes when they crop up. These forums are about triathlons and all sorts of personal achievements. I try to take note of significant achievements from losing ten pounds to finishing an Ironman.

My posts have dropped off a great deal since I first joined the community in January 2004. I still read the forums daily but find very little that I can add. Yes kids, I do know I am boring, and yes maybe I have too many rules.

TW

2015-09-10 1:44 PM

User image

Pro

Full disclosure:

I was not a member in 2010.

Some of that is fine, but somewhere in the middle of that post, and folks not being so sensitive, and having a thicker skin, is probably an answer that most people can live with. 

For example, I think debate is the best way to learn something new. Debate is good. I try to use correct grammar, and punctuation, but I don't care if everyone does....... I'm certainly not sitting by with a grammar book as I post.  Humor is not tricky, but everyone's sense of humor is not the same.....that's a good thing.

The idea of being helpful whenever possible is good, as is the idea of being truthful.

There's plenty of room for all kinds of people and all kinds of style here.

2015-09-10 1:46 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Elite

Originally posted by msteiner

Well played.

TW

2015-09-10 1:57 PM

User image

Pro

Just curious, geezer, when you posted that in 2010 did some folks call you pompous?  I only ask because you said, "yet again".

2015-09-10 2:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

Full disclosure:

Some of that is fine, but somewhere in the middle of that post, and folks not being so sensitive, and having a thicker skin, is probably an answer that most people can live with. 

For example, I think debate is the best way to learn something new. Debate is good. I try to use correct grammar, and punctuation, but I don't care if everyone does....... I'm certainly not sitting by with a grammar book as I post.  Humor is not tricky, but everyone's sense of humor is not the same.....that's a good thing.

The idea of being helpful whenever possible is good, as is the idea of being truthful.

Debate IS good.  Arguing sucks.  They're not the same thing.  If someone wants to argue, I'm going to check out.  If you want to debate ideas, concepts, options, perspectives, etc, then I'm all in, because we're all going to learn from it.

2015-09-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Seattle

Correlation does not imply causation

I don't post in TT because of other factors not because time. 

Would you mind sharing the reason? Unltimately, the lack of traffic in TT is the main issue. Adding your n=1 will help determine the underlying causes.

Ok, since you are asking.

1. I feel, as I mentioned above that often, whether I start a new thread or reply that I am ignored. I am not sure why this is, it could be 100% on me whether it be the way I portray myself or my "tone" or maybe it's because I am female? I definitely can't say why. But I feel that I must be somehow qualified by someone else with an "x2" or something before what I say makes any impact, and at that point why not just let the "qualifier" do the talking. Again, I don't know why and I am not claiming to but it's how I feel.

2. LB, I'm going to candid and I think that you deserve honesty because I do respect you, and god knows you have thick skin (I do not!), but you can be kind of a jerk sometimes. This can't be news to you. Maybe you enjoy ruffling people's feathers, I don't know. I like discussing different theories, ideas and strategies because I realize there are a whole lot of ways to improve as an athlete and it is fascinating! But arguing on the internet isn't fun to me, especially when someone is being abrasive. Again, this is how I feel because I am specifically being asked. I cannot speak for anyone else. 

Thanks for sharing.  I have a couple thoughts:

1. I think that's part of the nature of a conversation in a forum.  I've frequently posted an answer to a question where the information I'm sharing I got directly from some of the most knowledgeable people in our sport, so I have a lot of confidence that I gave good advice, yet my reply is completely ignored when a couple other people chime in with an answer more in line with what the OP was hoping to hear.  Then the OP latches on to the other posts, without even acknowledging the other suggestions.  As long as it's not a situation where someone will be in serious danger by taking the bad advice, I've learned to just shrug, shake my head, and move on.  It used to bother me a lot when I witnessed people choosing ignorance, but then I realized that some people just want to hear what they want to hear, and it had nothing to do with what I (or you) said.  BTW, FWIW you're one of the people who's posts I always read with genuine interest.  There are some who I will just skim their post, or only read it for the entertainment value to see what their latest crack pot idea is.
  2. You're right.  He is a jerk.  

ETA:  Joking aside, I like discussions here with LB, because he's direct, and brings the perspective of the parent of a teenager racing near the highest level.  Those are both things that not too many people bring to these discussions.  I know I can be direct with him if I have a different perspective on the topic, and neither of us is going to offend the other.  Disagreeing with someone shouldn't mean that you don't respect them and their opinion.

I agree. Actually, with everything you said. My issue isn't that I disagree with him, more often than not I actually do generally agree. I just think it's more the way the information is presented. 

2015-09-10 2:09 PM

User image

Pro

Full disclosure:

Debate IS good.  Arguing sucks.  They're not the same thing.  If someone wants to argue, I'm going to check out.  If you want to debate ideas, concepts, options, perspectives, etc, then I'm all in, because we're all going to learn from it.

Shut up.

2015-09-10 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Full disclosure:

Shut up.

Me shut up?...If you weren't a jerk, people wouldn't be leaving BT en masse.  

2015-09-10 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Full disclosure:

Shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYa0jpGFUeY

2015-09-10 2:17 PM

User image

Elite

Just curious, geezer, when you posted that in 2010 did some folks call you pompous?  I only ask because you said, "yet again".

No one said it.  It is my own assessment of the writing.  The point I was trying to make could hardly be made without sounding pompous.  Further, Ron thanked me for the comment and then froze the thread immediately after I posted it so there was no opportunity for comment.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2015-09-10 2:38 PM
2015-09-10 2:25 PM

User image

Seattle

Full disclosure:

Shut up.

Is this comment poking fun at what I said?

2015-09-10 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

no, its just those two bozos fake arguing like the married couple they are

2015-09-10 2:34 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

no, its just those two bozos fake arguing like the married couple they are

That hurts me, I have feelings

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-10 2:36 PM

(jack.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jack.jpg (31KB - 9 downloads)
2015-09-10 2:36 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Full disclosure:

Shut up.

Is this comment poking fun at what I said?

No, not at all. It's just guys busting balls. It's what we do. ETA : It helps to remember that all men stop maturing around the age of 12.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-09-10 2:39 PM

2015-09-10 2:50 PM

User image

Seattle

Ok. And I do have a sense of humor. I just wanted to clarify. It seems that a lot of the culmination of issues are people speculating and not clarifying and maybe getting upset before doing so. 

I certainly don't think that the decline on BT is exclusively because of that either. That would be, impressive to say the least. But I do imagine anyone who is more on the sensitive side might see it that way, which is why I spoke up about it. 

2015-09-10 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Ok. And I do have a sense of humor. I just wanted to clarify. It seems that a lot of the culmination of issues are people speculating and not clarifying and maybe getting upset before doing so. 

I certainly don't think that the decline on BT is exclusively because of that either. That would be, impressive to say the least. But I do imagine anyone who is more on the sensitive side might see it that way, which is why I spoke up about it. 

Which is completely valid and something that people should consider.  But in general here, I don't think most people at least intentionally try to hurt others feelings.  At least outside of the COJ and PCOJ arena.

2015-09-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dmiller5

Which is completely valid and something that people should consider.  But in general here, I don't think most people at least intentionally try to hurt others feelings.  At least outside of the COJ and PCOJ arena.

lol good clarification

2015-09-10 3:19 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by tech_geezer

TW

I like this. It's a good reminder. Some of the things you mentioned aren't just rules of being a good human being, but thinking about how things translate into the digital world.

So, thanks for sharing. I don't think it sounds pompus. I guess other than sharing it here though, there's likely little that can be done with it. It's not like we can enforce your rules on others. 

2015-09-10 3:26 PM

User image

Pro

Wait.....are you saying I couldn't do it? 

2015-09-10 3:46 PM

User image

Elite

I like this. It's a good reminder. Some of the things you mentioned aren't just rules of being a good human being, but thinking about how things translate into the digital world.

So, thanks for sharing. I don't think it sounds pompus. I guess other than sharing it here though, there's likely little that can be done with it. It's not like we can enforce your rules on others. 

Ok, maybe not pompous, but surely sanctimonious.  You will grant me sanctimonious won't you?

The rules are things I can do to appear online the way I want to be seen and to contribute the way I want to contribute.  There have been many, many instances in which I wrote something, gave myself a break from it, came back to re-read, and then chose to hit "select all" "delete" because I was not following my own rules.  I know that others do not share my views on conduct and might fully intend to do the exact opposite.  I am not advocating my way for anyone else.  I admit that the downside is that my writing is bone dry of entertainment value and my posts tend to get ignored.  I will post a new thread tomorrow.  We will see how it goes.

2015-09-10 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
I thought the beer thread was excellent....unfortunately, past the idea of drinking it, I was stumped.
2015-09-10 3:58 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain I thought the beer thread was excellent....unfortunately, past the idea of drinking it, I was stumped.

It's a beer that had a story that needed to be told.  I will post a few pictures of its last hours on earth.  From ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

TW

2015-09-10 4:26 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have been scanning through this thread this afternoon, I will outright admit that I have not fully read all 9 pages as I simply don't have the time.  I have found myself agreeing with a variety of posts.  

I joined BT in 2007, jumped into one of the first mentor groups we had.  Never felt fully integrated with it, but I kept jumping into different groups.  I have had some good experiences with most of the groups.  Some--while not necessarily bad experiences, just weren't for me.  I tend to like a small circle to be really in conversation with and when the group gets to 20+ people then I can't really get to the last post I left off at I feel like I am jumping in on someone else's conversation if I do a fly by post.  

I am currently not racing as much due to some family obligations and job stresses.  While I love the sport, it isn't the be all and end all of my existence.  I think there is a lot of that as I see my friends logs.  Some people got burned out after years of IM racing.  Some people deal with chronic injuries and can only race limited amounts.  This is not a cheap sport, you tack on putting kids in college (both my daughters) with race fees and all that goes into it you can really bonk the budget.

I think the loss of some of the people who truly KNOW the sport and LOVE it is also a factor.  If I am going to ask a question I'm going to ask someone who really knows the details of the area I am asking.  When I trained for my marathon I asked Adreinne a lot of questions.  Did I always like her answer?  No, but I respected her opinion because she is a fantastic runner.    If I am going to ask a bike question, there are a few people I would ask--most of them are not on this forum any more.  Fred knows bikes, I am part of his Facebook triathlon group and I will ask him there.  I would ask Kathy G, she knows bikes, she is also part of that group.  If I want to ask a swim question I don't bother--my swim stinks and well without a crap ton of 1:1 coaching it will always look like I'm trying not to drown and I just don't "get" the answers.  

I have found that the friendly banter with occasional sarcasm is gone from the threads unless one is faithful participating in a mentor group where there can be a lot of that.  

Yes, there used to be VERY active IM/ HIM groups who would talk about their training in the IM forum.  I think because some of the mentor groups have focused on long course/ short course we don't see that level of interest in those forums.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there are a LOT of differences in the training/ nutrition needs of people who focus on distance or short course.  

We used to see a lot of threads tracking different people at IM's--not any more.  Again, the other social media sites have locked a good bit of that up.  On big race weekends the FB feed can be filled up with tracker updates as the person passes various checkpoints or their family posts for them.  Speaking of other social media, yes  Strava and Training Peaks and Facebook  and BT and Slow Twitch......there are people who left cause they log on Strava or just with the Garmin connect and they don't want to log in to 3-4 different sites to say the same thing.  And if the auto-connections work right you really don't have to come back here to say anything if all you choose to do is enter the workout.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  

of 16