Canada
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 05m 24s
Overall Rank = 1884/2352
Age Group = f4044
Age Group Rank = 80/98
Pre-race routine:

Got up, forced down half a bagel and some almond butter and water.
Event warmup:

I was terrified. There's no way around it. You can see it on my face in the pictures in the days leading up to Sunday and you can see it in the pre race pictures. The swim didn't freak me out, the bike didn't bother me - it was the run. I had never run 26.2 miles before and I started to really question if I could do it.

Race day morning: we stayed up on the mountain (had it's advantages and disadvantages). There was a shuttle to the bottom but we got itchy waiting and had one of our Sherpas drive us down. Of course we passed the shuttle on the way - no big deal. Got to transition, pumped up our tires, greased our chains and met up with friends. Eventually it was time to make the long walk to the water. When we got there the portopotty line wrapped around itself 3 times. So we waited. It actually wasn't that bad and it took just long enough that we had time to get in a few strokes to warm up but not so long that we had to stand around in the cold sand and think about what we were about to do.

At last, 7am, the gun went off and the last wave of pink caps (women over 40) was in the water.
Swim
  • 1h 30m 5s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Goal: go out relaxed, find my space and finish in 1:30 (or better)

For me, this swim could not have gone any better. Our wave was huge - probably the biggest group I've ever gone out with. The buoys were spaced perfectly and I had no problem sighting them. And I like the fact that they were numbered - I kept counting down.

There was a little contact through the first 4 buoys but then I was able to find my space. With that many people there was always some sort of draft so I just did my thing and ended up exactly on target with my goal.

AND the wetsuit strippers were awesome! After the suit came off I had two people behind me grab each arm and before I knew it I was upright again! HIGHLY recommended :)
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing.
Transition 1
  • 12m 9s
Comments:

We knew so many people at MT - both competing and volunteering. There was almost always someone nearby that I knew.

My friend was working the women's changing tent. OMG that was so clutch. It was like having an inside deal! She came right over to me when she saw me and helped me get my crap together. AND she put sunscreen on me which turned out to be perfect - it got hot.......

Time also includes a pee stop! I had given myself 15 minutes in t1 and I knew I had time so I figured "why not?"

probably nothing
Bike
  • 7h 16m 15s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal: go out nice and easy on the first lap and hammer on the hills at the end

I kept it in check for the first 20 miles or so and then I got itchy and probably pushed a little too hard. It started to get hot earlier than I had hoped. We all knew the forecast was for sunny, high 80s and high humidity and you get to that point where you can start to feel the heat rising off the pavement. URGH. But I stayed on top of my nutrition (which I think could not have gone any better) and just kept plugging along.

I used to be a fast cyclist - I guess endurance and speed are hard to work on at the same time. I would have liked to come in 45 minutes earlier but whatever, I got it done. There is something a little mentally defeating though about watching them break down the course while you're still on it (one of the downsides of an out and back).

I think the Dash saddle has to go. Back to the drawing board this winter I guess.

Also the amount and type of my nutrition was perfect - still need to work on execution (bottles etc)
Transition 2
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

Again my friend from home hooked me up! Very happy with T2 time.
Run
  • 6h 01m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

The run. The plan 5:1 run/walk to 20 and if things were going great by the end, run in the last 6.2.

Running terrifies me and as I was leaving t2 I couldn't even hide it. I was a mess and I was not looking forward to the marathon but out I went. I saw lots of friends in that first 5k (which is where the only hills on the run are). Most of them were just finishing their first loop and I was just starting. Slow and steady.

I carried my Nathan pack. I've been using it on long runs and I'm comfortable having my own nutrition (carried Infinit, btw and went with 99% liquid plan - I did have a banana at the first bike rest stop because I needed something and I figured that would digest easy). The pack was fine worked out well. I did try the chicken broth like everyone said - it didn't do anything for me so I stuck with my Infinit. There were some points where I was just CRAVING water so I used that to take some salt tablets and was careful to not overdo the water and dilute my sodium.

The first 6 miles were pretty much where I hoped to be - around 11:30. Then I started to slow down. I didn't really look at my watch so I wasn't even aware of how much I slowed down.

Run special needs is just before the halfway mark so I got there, got my bag, changed my socks (which were soaked from dumping water on myself the whole time) and swapped out my Nathan bladder for a new pre mixed one.

Right after special needs you run though the village - which is awesome, btw. There were so many people cheering and screaming - and then you go by the finish to the left, lap 2 to the right. URGH. I kept moving and was starting to lose it again. I got out of the village, saw my friends on the right then I saw DH on the left. I ran over to him, gave him a hug. I was practically crying. I said "can I walk the last 13 miles and still make it?" He looked at his watch and said "you have 5 hours, yes you can." He ran with me for about a quarter mile and said some other encouraging things and then off I went.

26 miles is a long time to play mental games. In any event I do mentally when I hit the halfway mark, I start to feel like "I made it halfway now I know I can finish." I didn't have that feeling in the run until after I saw my friends and family. I really didn't think I was going to make it until I started out on that second lap. At that point I started to plan how I was going to cross the finish line......

up to mile 18 I was hanging in.
mile 19 15:13 pace
mile 20 16:38
mile 21 16:43
mile 22 16:55

I started to walk around mile 19 (I think). Everyone was walking and I wasn't surprised but I started to get agitated. I kept thinking that I wanted my phone because I had to email some people and tell them this was the dumbest idea I ever had and if I tried to sign up for another one they were to stop me.

Then I thought about wannabefaster who once said something to the effect of "on the marathon you will reach a point where your body wants to quit and you just have to convince yourself you can keep going - because you can." And in an effort to just GET OUT OF THERE FASTER I started to shuffle/run again.

mile 23 15:06
mile 24 14:23
mile 25 15:59 (back up the hill)
mile 26 15:24

I was all alone running up the last hill - first by the Westin and then onto the cobblestones into the village - around the corner and BANG - TONS of people! I must have high fived 30 people (both kids and adults). Of course I started to cry again but I wanted a good finish picture so I was able to keep it in check once I made the final turn and could see the finish arch. I also heard Mike Reilly say my name and I knew it was finally over!

I ran up to the finish, jumped up and screamed! "YEAH!!!!!!"

Holy crap what a long emotional day.

run.
Post race
Warm down:

The volunteer caught me and I pretty much stood there for a minute waiting to feel terrible. I heard all sorts of horror stories of people puking on course, finishing and then collapsing etc. Well I finished and nothing happened. We walked through the finish, got my shirt, my hat, my space blanket and she said to me "how are you feeling? do you need to go to medical?" I looked over and saw a SEA of beds and people laying in them. I said "I don't think so - what do you think?" She laughed and said "I think you're ok." Then she brought me to get my picture taken and get my morning bag. As I stood there dazed my cousin just about tackled me. It was her 40th birthday and first IM. She finished in daylight and I'm so proud of her. This little adventure was my idea.

but to do it again next year was hers ;)

Event comments:

Now that it's behind me and I've had a week to think about it - I think I can do better. So we're going back in 2016 to find out!!

This venue lived up to the hype! Course was great, volunteers were awesome and the town was out in full force on the run course cheering us on. We just registered for 2016 - so look out - we'll be back for more!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-10-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:30:05 | 4224 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 70/98
Overall: 1883/2352
Performance:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/871233097/1
Suit: Yes
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 12:09
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:16:15 | 112 miles | 15.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 74/98
Overall: 1895/2352
Performance:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/871233097/3
Wind: Some
Course: 3 out and back segments with most of the hills concentrated in the last segment.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:01:39 | 26.2 miles | 13m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/98
Overall: 1884/2352
Performance:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/871233097/5
Course: Hilly first 5K then flat, then hilly last 5K (two loops of that).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-08-25 6:21 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2015-08-25 7:40 AM
in reply to: #5136704

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Absolutely AWESOME!  I have been waiting for this race report. So much fun to follow your journey and see you accomplish so much.  Congrats on a well executed race!  I have no doubt that you will have another great race next year!

Randy

2015-08-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Great job on getting it done, Ironman!! 

2015-08-25 9:14 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

What a day, what a mental and physical battle, and what an accomplishment!  HUGE congrats, finishing an IM is no small feat.  Very cool you had so many friends and family volunteering, racing or cheering.  Woooo!

2015-08-25 11:48 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome!!  Congratulations!!

2015-08-25 12:26 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Seattle

Awesome, great job!

I love it, ready to get after it and improve upon the performance! Go get em!

2015-08-25 1:47 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations!  Lots of good stuff in here, but perhaps my favorite is you wanting your phone so you could call everybody to tell them how dumb this whole IM thing is.   It is especially good since it is quickly followed by signing up to do it all again   Again, great job!

2015-08-25 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So awesome IRONMAN!!!

Sounds like you were able to hit your goals, nice job!

2015-08-26 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Congrats! Finishing your first is such a great feeling.
2015-08-27 11:20 AM
in reply to: rscheung

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job on a super Ironman performance.  That is so impressive.

2015-08-27 12:35 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
congrats on an awesome race and great RR!! I did my first at IMMT last year and I still think about crossing that finish line almost everyday. It is one of the greatest experiences of my life. Good luck next year, I am sure you will set a PR. I want to go back to IMMT one day but it will have to wait for now.

Oh and by the way....Super Cool Medals this year!! I am very jealous lol.

2015-08-27 1:46 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Amazing stuff!! So happy for you!!! Congrats!
2015-08-27 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
A very smart person once said "to finish is to win!"

Great race - onward and upward!
2015-08-27 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
nice job Ironman!

enjoyed reading your report, I felt like I was re-living the moments of IMMT.
2015-10-19 3:37 PM

that's great! I actually just read your review of quassy half as it was a warm up for IMMT. that's exactly my plan for 2016. I know quassy, did the Olympic last year and feel like I owe the course a better effort as it took a little from me. i'll be in better shape for it next year and yes, getting my butt in gear for IMMT.

was the IMMT bike course harder than QUassy? what was your nutrition? I am thinking very much of the liquid plan myself, other than a banana or 3
2015-10-20 8:22 AM
in reply to: slowtriathlete

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slowtriathlete

that's great! I actually just read your review of quassy half as it was a warm up for IMMT. that's exactly my plan for 2016. I know quassy, did the Olympic last year and feel like I owe the course a better effort as it took a little from me. i'll be in better shape for it next year and yes, getting my butt in gear for IMMT.

was the IMMT bike course harder than QUassy? what was your nutrition? I am thinking very much of the liquid plan myself, other than a banana or 3

elevation at IMMT was not 2x Quassy - so I would say Quassy was harder.
nutrition = Infinit

2015-10-21 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Awesome report!

Congrats on being an ironman! Enjoy your post ironman bliss, it's an awesome feeling :-)

Alicia
2015-10-21 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Awesome report!

Congrats on being an ironman! Enjoy your post ironman bliss, it's an awesome feeling :-)

Alicia
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2562 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 6:44 AM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 7968 Posts: 48

2012-08-31 1:55 PM Socks

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rlejeune
Views: 3066 Posts: 7

2012-08-27 7:07 PM juniperjen

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by rockymtnhigh
Views: 2563 Posts: 4

2012-08-21 6:42 PM rlejeune

Ironman Mont-Tremblant

Started by axteraa
Views: 5089 Posts: 23

2013-01-02 7:46 PM justinfss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.