General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training Questions - Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-25 2:54 PM

Subject: IM Training Questions - Bike
I am training for my first ironman and things are going fairly well. I am having two major bike issues and neither of them have to do with actually riding I am hoping some more experienced folk can provide some advice.

1. My saddle is killing me. The biggest issue I have with riding is the saddle pain I feel which starts at around 30 miles. I have both a road bike and a tri bike with different types of saddles and both are bad (although my road saddle is worse). Is this something I just need to get used to and will go away with time, or should I be shopping around for saddles? I guess the problem if you don't know if a saddle is going to bother you until you've been riding for 2 or more hours, so it is hard to work out what I should be looking for in a new saddle.

2. Eating on the bike. I am wondering what most people do in practice. I keep hearing that you need to eat real food, but I don't have the bike handling skills to peel a banana or even open an energy bar whilst riding. I would have to stop to do these things. I can drink from my water bottle but that is about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on things that are really easy to eat on the bike? Does anyone do the bike on liquid only?

Any advice is appreciated.

2015-08-25 6:35 PM
in reply to: runningfi

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: IM Training Questions - Bike
As for the saddle problems...riding for long periods introduces a number of problems that normally don't surface on shorter rides.

Small problems become big problems later on, so even little things can make a difference.
Here are a few suggestions:
1. LUBE up your chamois generously ! I use Chamois Butt'r, which works well.
2. WHERE is the pain? It probably is different for the road and tri saddles. Many problems can be alleviated by saddle adjustment. To get this right you need to have a decent bike fit. The best recommendation is to go get a bike fit done. In lieu of that, you can make small adjustments to try and fix the problem. Is the seat too low, too high, too forward, too back, or wrong tilt?
3. SHAPE of the saddle makes a big different too. I use an Adamo Prologue for my Tri bike and a Specialized Romin saddle on my road bike. Getting a seat that allows your "sit bones" to rest comfortably without causing chafing or abnormal pressure (such as the groin).
4. STRETCH periodically. I get up out of the saddle and give my crotch a break for a minute. Stretch your legs and glutes. Sitting in the saddle too long without a quick shakeout it going to cause pain eventually.

As for eating on the bike.

Not always easy. There are many logistical problems with eating...conditions (temp, winds, roads, traffic, hills, etc), wrappers that get in the way, swallowing and not choking. I use a good sized bento box on the top tube, and carry extra in my jersey pockets. Sometimes I tape gel packets to the stem (usually just for races though). For races, I pre-cut and pre-open my nutrition. Such a powerbars, waffles or chomps. My liquids are in the rear seat carrier. Some people like the bottle up on the bars. The main thing is to make it easy to open and get the food into your mouth safely, then getting some liquid down. You can go with liquid nutrition such as Perpetuem, but I like having a mix of solid foods and liquid. I don't bother with "real" food, but some people like sweet potatoes, dried fruit, PnJ's...but it gets bulky and messy IMO. Also think about how the nutrition will fair in the temps you ride in, for example will it melt ? In a recent race, my nutrition froze so it was very hard to open packets or chew the food.
2015-08-26 9:45 AM
in reply to: metafizx

Thanks, this is really helpful.

Re the saddle issue, I have been using lube but just vasoline, so maybe I need to try the stuff you mention. I have had both bikes professionally fitted but at the time, I wasn't riding much so I didn't have a sense of having saddle issues. I am having a re-fit of my road bike on Friday so I will mention it to my fitter.

Thanks for the tips re the fueling as well. I love the bento box idea. I like salted peanuts and candy so I could put those loose in there and they would be easy to grab. My race is going to be hot so I am thinking salted peanuts and gummy type candy should be good.
2015-08-28 8:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

The saddle killing you is more than likely not having the greatest bike fit with not having the right saddle for you.

I'd strongly suggest getting a real good bike fit.  The fitter should have some saddle recommendations and then you can trial and error a few to see which saddle works the best for you.

2015-08-29 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Your pain on the bike could be a fit issue. Although it could very well be you just need more time in the saddle. The first think I would do while training for your Ironman is spend most your time on the bike you plan on racing on. I usually ride my tri bike in the spring/summer and road bike in fall/winter. It usually takes a little time to adjust to each saddle especially on longer rides.

Regarding eating on the bike if I'm using gels I tape them to the top tube for easing opening. If I was planning on eating something like a Cliff bar I would chunk it up and put it in a bento box for easy access. What ever you plan on doing I would practice it on all of your long rides. While practicing you can slow down to a slower speed while eating until you get the hang of it.
2015-08-31 8:28 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I agree with the others, get a bike fit!

Open the packages of what you are going to eat before your ride.
For instance I eat Honey Stinger waffles when I ride so the packages
are already opened and I can break off smaller pieces and eat in aero.
If you are eating something big like a protein bar cut it up into pieces
ahead of time so you can put one bite at a time in your mouth.
If you have to, stop, better to stop and eat then to crash.

2015-08-31 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by runningfi Thanks for the tips re the fueling as well. I love the bento box idea. I like salted peanuts and candy so I could put those loose in there and they would be easy to grab. My race is going to be hot so I am thinking salted peanuts and gummy type candy should be good.

I would spend some time practicing your bike handling skills and eating while on the fly.  It is something you simply must get comfortable doing for an IM race.  Find a parking lot with no cars away from traffic and just practice getting nutrition out of a bento box.   

On another note...I would seriously re-consider using salted peanuts as a fuel for Ironman.  You want more easily digested food low/no fats or protein.

2015-09-03 1:17 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Food- I did a few things for my nutrition during IM. I kept some bonk breaker bars in my jersey pocket. I think they were close to 240 calories or something. I would open one with my mouth and eat it over the course of an hour. Only took a few seconds of riding with 1 hand to do it and I always made sure to do it on a flat or uphill section.

I had a bento box that I filled with two plastic baggies. One was filled with gold fish and the other with Fig Newtons. I liked that salt and crunchy of the goldfish and the calories of the newtons. They also were good with my stomach. For liquid nutrition, it was a water bottle between stops and Infinit.

At special needs I had a slice of pizza and some potato chips...Man it hit the spot so good and definiately gave me a mental and physical boost.

Keep playing with your nutrition on your training rides and find out what works for you
2015-09-05 8:24 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by runningfi
Is this something I just need to get used to and will go away with time, or should I be shopping around for saddles? I guess the problem if you don't know if a saddle is going to bother you until you've been riding for 2 or more hours, so it is hard to work out what I should be looking for in a new saddle.

Many of the saddle companies have a "demo" program. For a small fee, you can rent a saddle and they will often discount that amount if you wind up purchasing. I've heard good things about COBB saddles in terms of their customer service. They also have an excellent return policy if you decide that it isn't the right saddle for you.
2015-09-11 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Questions:
1. How many long rides have you been on? Even with the right fit, you've got to toughen up those sit bones.
2. Are you having numbness or tingling anywhere? Like in your toes? If so, then you may not be on your sit bones. Try sitting back more and leaning forward from the hips.
3. Have you tried liquid nutrition? I used infinit on my first IM and it worked great.

As for saddle, everyone has to find what works for them. As someone mentioned, see if the bike shop has a demo. I finally settled on the Cobb V-flow and love it. It's got more padding than your standard saddle. I believe they have a full-refund policy if you try it and don't like it.

2015-09-14 11:39 AM
in reply to: pistuo

Thanks! Extreme Veteran, to answer your questions:

1. It depends on what you mean by "long" but I am currently up to 90 miles, having gradually increased over the past few months. I've only done two rides over 80 at this stage, so I am just getting into really long territory. I do think part of it is just getting used to it. This is my first IM and first time doing long rides, so I may just need to adjust. I do think my tolerance for the pain is going up a little with every ride.
2. Nope, no numbness anywhere.
3. I have not tried liquid nutrition (other then Gatorade/Powerade). I think that sounds really convenient but I worry I will feel hungry.

2015-09-15 5:13 PM

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
I had similar issues with the saddle. I did the bike fit and still had to make tweaks. You might consider the adamo saddle line. The Adamo prologue and race saddles get good reviews. They are available in the bike shops and on amazon. The installayion is a little bit different for them so make sure you install it correctly. Youtube has a good video to follow from the company. Most LBS will let you test the adamo saddles. Thje adamo saddles are different and take a few rides to adjust. The adamo race saddle finally solved my problem.

Let me know if how it goes

Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training Questions - Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM Bike training - thoughts on 100% interval training

Started by LazyRiver
Views: 2881 Posts: 14

2011-10-08 5:52 PM jackson61802

IM bike training question

Started by louiskie
Views: 2253 Posts: 15

2010-09-11 7:41 PM rgretsof

Half IM to Half IM training question...

Started by schott2
Views: 1008 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 3:26 PM schott2

IM Bike Training - Interval question

Started by DB
Views: 3005 Posts: 24

2010-03-20 6:06 AM PennState

12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 14163 Posts: 24

2009-07-17 12:01 PM magic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.

date : October 2, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on Total Immersion swimming, strength training, road bike or triathlon bike, stationary biking for Ironman training, heat and GI issues and doing a HIM before a first IM.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.