General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming in the COLD Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-08-25 7:41 PM

Subject: swimming in the COLD
hi!

so doing my first olympic distance soon, and looks like it's going to be cold (upper 50's - low 60's)! i only have a sleeveless wetsuit (too late to even consider renting a full-sleeved one). i've looked into a neoprene cap and swim socks, but am wondering about my arms... do you think this will be a problem? or should i look into swim sleeves like the ones from TYR? http://www.amazon.com/TYR-Neoprene-Swim-Sleeves-Black/dp/B007PQS1XK...

2015-08-25 8:21 PM
in reply to: jamie1c

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: swimming in the COLD

What is the water temp?

2015-08-26 7:17 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Most of my swimming is in the cold. (Lake Superior rarely gets above 65°) I don't wear sleeves unless it is below 58° but always wear a neoprene hat. I find that my inner ears suffer greatly if cold water gets to them. As they used to say in boy scouts, if you keep your head warm, you'll conserve 80% of your heat loss. True in water too. I wouldn't worry about your arms, they'll be moving anyway and will warm up.
2015-08-26 7:22 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I've done events with water temperature in the high 50's without a wetsuit, it's cold but you'll be fine.

As LB asked is the water temp in the 50's-60's or the air temp? This time of year most water is in the upper 60's, 70's or 80's unless you your in the Great White North.

If the water is warm and the air is cooler it's a complete non-issue.
2015-08-26 8:42 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Ironman Racine this year, the water was 59 degrees in Lake Michigan. Raced in an Xterra Sleeveless with no problem. No other equipment. Took me about 10-15 minutes in the water before the race to get used to it and get my breathing regulated after getting in.

Then again, I'm from Wisconsin, and 45 degrees is still "shorts weather"
2015-08-26 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Congrats on doing an olympic distance.  You should be okay with the temps, and the neoprene cap will help.  For me, when the water falls below 50F, then it takes about 5-10 minutes for any exposed skin to numb up a bit before I don't notice the temp as much.

2015-08-26 10:15 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mike761

I've done events with water temperature in the high 50's without a wetsuit, it's cold but you'll be fine.

As LB asked is the water temp in the 50's-60's or the air temp? This time of year most water is in the upper 60's, 70's or 80's unless you your in the Great White North.

If the water is warm and the air is cooler it's a complete non-issue.

I'm getting ready for the Chicago Tri this Sunday. While the water temp was around 68 degrees for most of the summer, due to the storms last week it stays at 59-62 degrees.

I was actually about to post the similar question. I don't have wetsuit and am planning to wear two caps - do they hold well? My biggest concern is that one would fall off the other, but I may be just paranoid...?

I also started super cold baths this week to get my body adjusted to the temperature. And I read it's good to do some intense warm up before entering the water, to have heart rate higher. Your thoughts?
Another tip was to splash water on the face first.

Mary
2015-08-26 10:27 AM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by mike761 I've done events with water temperature in the high 50's without a wetsuit, it's cold but you'll be fine. As LB asked is the water temp in the 50's-60's or the air temp? This time of year most water is in the upper 60's, 70's or 80's unless you your in the Great White North. If the water is warm and the air is cooler it's a complete non-issue.
I'm getting ready for the Chicago Tri this Sunday. While the water temp was around 68 degrees for most of the summer, due to the storms last week it stays at 59-62 degrees. I was actually about to post the similar question. I don't have wetsuit and am planning to wear two caps - do they hold well? My biggest concern is that one would fall off the other, but I may be just paranoid...? I also started super cold baths this week to get my body adjusted to the temperature. And I read it's good to do some intense warm up before entering the water, to have heart rate higher. Your thoughts? Another tip was to splash water on the face first. Mary

I've been ok with the two caps. It may take some experimenting to get it just right. Hair is longer than most guys, but not long enough to pull into something. Maybe not too different from yours based on the profile pic? Mine have stuck really well to each other and need to be more sure they don't pull off together.

Try to use your judgement with air temps and potential wind chill (haven't looked at Sunday weather) for getting really wet well ahead of time. If you can do get wet just before you start and be somewhat active to get your body producing heat. The getting wet is to get over the initial shock factor. It can also trigger the heat generation. Face & head have tended to help the most with this. The rest of the body tends to fall in line when the face is more used to it.

2015-08-26 12:02 PM

I see from your profile that you live in Illinois. Are you from there or are you new that part of the country? If you come from a warmer climate I'd err on the side of caution. I live in Florida and this winter I'd do some OWS with groups and the sleeveless people didn't seem too happy. But again this is Florida I'm talking about and we're pretty weak when it comes to cold water. Just something to consider. Left Brain asked about the water temps. That is the real key there.
2015-08-26 3:20 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Originally posted by pwoolson

Most of my swimming is in the cold. (Lake Superior rarely gets above 65°) I don't wear sleeves unless it is below 58° but always wear a neoprene hat. I find that my inner ears suffer greatly if cold water gets to them. As they used to say in boy scouts, if you keep your head warm, you'll conserve 80% of your heat loss. True in water too. I wouldn't worry about your arms, they'll be moving anyway and will warm up.

Yeah, the 80 % heat loss through your head is a myth. Needless to say, it's an excellent idea to keep your head warm as you want the brain functioning well.
2015-08-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: b2run

I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon and am from Chicago. Like someone mentioned, the winds shifted and has made Lake Michigan cold (water temps upper 50's to lower 60s). Since I'm fairly new to open water swimming, I'm wondering if being in a sleeveless would be adequate. I'm female and slender, so I don't have a ton of insulation, although I do warm up fairly quickly (from a running point-of-view).

2015-08-26 4:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by b2run
Originally posted by pwoolson Most of my swimming is in the cold. (Lake Superior rarely gets above 65° I don't wear sleeves unless it is below 58° but always wear a neoprene hat. I find that my inner ears suffer greatly if cold water gets to them. As they used to say in boy scouts, if you keep your head warm, you'll conserve 80% of your heat loss. True in water too. I wouldn't worry about your arms, they'll be moving anyway and will warm up.
Yeah, the 80 % heat loss through your head is a myth. Needless to say, it's an excellent idea to keep your head warm as you want the brain functioning well.

Huh, I took a google around and looks like you're right.  Always believed that!

2015-08-26 4:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jamie1c

I'm doing the Chicago Triathlon and am from Chicago. Like someone mentioned, the winds shifted and has made Lake Michigan cold (water temps upper 50's to lower 60s). Since I'm fairly new to open water swimming, I'm wondering if being in a sleeveless would be adequate. I'm female and slender, so I don't have a ton of insulation, although I do warm up fairly quickly (from a running point-of-view).

My best friend and I are planning to do some "let's try this cold water" practice on Saturday. We don't want to swim crazy, as it's a day before the race, but just to get an idea on how our bodies would respond. Do you want to join us?
Mary
2015-08-26 5:51 PM
in reply to: marysia83

thanks for the invite! i'm actually going to be with my friend saturday to do the expo/bike check, so not sure when i'd be able to go, but i hope the no-wetsuit thing will be ok for you!

i was just thinking... for running in 50's air temp, i usually need a long sleeve-T, so i really can't imagine being submerged in water without sleeves in that kind of cold. this weekend will be a shock for a lot of ppl i think!
2015-08-27 7:34 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Though the number might be "wives tale-ish", I spend a LOT of time in the cold and find that I'm able to regulate my body temperature though my head better than anything else.
Another great boy scout-ism is, "if your toes are cold, put on a hat". Works well.
2015-08-27 8:10 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

Master
Northern IL

Believe the numbers did happen, but were taken out of context from a study. It was a very situational thing.

Definitely look at the head for cold water swimming, but more for some systems going batty as opposed to the head being anything special for heat loss even though it will certainly help with that too.

2015-08-27 8:57 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Another thing I've heard about warming feet after cold water swim: put hand or toe warmers inside your shoes and cover with towel. So when you come back from swimming you jump into warm shoes.

I am taking super cold baths every day. The first time I was able to sit there for six minutes. Yesterday I decreased temperature and was able to stay comfortably for 15 minutes. Hopefully it will make a tiny bit of a difference on Sunday.

I'm also trying to stay positive - if it's that cold - it will be a new experience for me, that maybe I can share next year with other first-timers
Mary
2015-08-27 9:00 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

thanks for the invite! i'm actually going to be with my friend saturday to do the expo/bike check, so not sure when i'd be able to go, but i hope the no-wetsuit thing will be ok for you!

i was just thinking... for running in 50's air temp, i usually need a long sleeve-T, so i really can't imagine being submerged in water without sleeves in that kind of cold. this weekend will be a shock for a lot of ppl i think!

I did 10K run at the beginning of April. It was 35 degrees. My water bottle was so cold I could not hold it. I had long sleeve and after half of the run I was so hot I wanted to take it off. Cold temperature also made running easier, as I did not feel my quads, therefore, I did not feel if they were tired

For this race - no matter what weather it is, I will be doing everything in regular swimsuite. Including the run.
Mary
2015-08-27 2:25 PM
in reply to: #5136884

I did a 10k turkey trot in mid-20s last year, but i had time to adapt to that temp. Well at this point, i guess all i can do is be positive and just embrace this Sunday. Good luck!
2015-08-27 2:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Good luck to you too!
We have trained enough to not be discouraged by some silly cold water
(remind me that when I enter that damn water...)
Mary
2015-08-27 8:45 PM

My best advice is to get out there before the race. I just got back from Ohio St beach. Temps were finally above 60, I think it was 62.7. I did see one guy in just his speedos. I have a full suit, but I don't think a sleeveless would have made much difference. For me, It wasn't that bad, but hard at first. The cold water made my chest tight and felt hard to breath, but was fine after 200 yards or so. That's typical for what I experience with cold water (i.e. initial shock is rough but once I warm up or get use to temp I'm fine). I made the mistake of not testing the waters in my first tri this year (Leon's) and it was rough. The shock of having a tight chest and being kicked and punched by other swimmers was not fun.

Definitely know how your body will respond to the cold water and you'll feel more comfortable/prepared for the OWS.

Another thing to consider is how you'll feel after getting out of the water. You'll probably be shivering when you get out of the water and possibly on the bike ride too. I was shivering for a while when I got out of the water.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

2015-09-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Good luck to you too!
Mary

How was the swim for you sans wetsuit?

For me, that water was really cold the first 200 meters (I actually got a hold of a fullsleeve), and since I was doing the international distance, I needed all the buoyancy & insulation I could get since I'm fairly new to open water swimming. I got really dizzy the first half.. not sure why, but I took a short break on a kayak to gain my composure, but the 2nd half was better! But man, do I need to practice my sighting skills... I was all over the place! But GREAT race overall! Really loved it (even though it was difficult -- prob will stick to sprints going forward).

I'm actually trying to sell my sleeveless wetsuit if you or someone you know might be interested! It's under the classifieds section

Edited by jamie1c 2015-09-04 1:45 PM
2015-09-04 10:02 PM
in reply to: #5136884

, Ontario
If you look into the research, the most important part of your body to keep warm is your core so the sleeveless wetsuit is more helpful and exposure of outer limbs isn't as bad as you think. They've in research exposed people to freezing temperatures with exposed limbs and so long as core stays warm all is well. So worry the most about your core and the limbs will follow what your core is. The core warms up with activity so the riskiest part is any time you spend before the race in the water. Keep moving and active so you don't get cold before you start and give your breathing time to adjust as the shock can cause people to panic and breathe off for a minute. I have swum without a wetsuit in much colder than those temperatures so don't stress about it. A trial of it the day before may give you added confidence but make sure it doesn't cause you to dread the cold - a positive attitude overcomes a lot of cold. Enjoy it, don't dread it!
2015-09-04 10:07 PM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

Pro

About noon tomorrow I can tell you about the first-hand experiences of some racers in 40 degree weather and 58 degree water temps from Edmonton.

No thanks!!!

2015-09-06 12:25 PM

Good luck to you too!
Mary

How was the swim for you sans wetsuit?

For me, that water was really cold the first 200 meters (I actually got a hold of a fullsleeve), and since I was doing the international distance, I needed all the buoyancy & insulation I could get since I'm fairly new to open water swimming. I got really dizzy the first half.. not sure why, but I took a short break on a kayak to gain my composure, but the 2nd half was better! But man, do I need to practice my sighting skills... I was all over the place! But GREAT race overall! Really loved it (even though it was difficult -- prob will stick to sprints going forward).

I'm actually trying to sell my sleeveless wetsuit if you or someone you know might be interested! It's under the classifieds section

Out of curiosity, what temperature was the water?

My first triathlon was in the high 50 F and the water was by far the most comfortable place to be.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming in the COLD Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swimming in the cold

Started by odpaul7
Views: 983 Posts: 10

2012-02-12 2:38 PM NeilsWheel

Swimming with chest cold ?

Started by yjt0189
Views: 3637 Posts: 4

2011-07-05 10:02 PM runspingirl

How Cold is Too Cold to Swim?

Started by dsw3131
Views: 17904 Posts: 9

2011-01-14 8:25 AM scholar

Open water swim training in cold climates?

Started by triscott26
Views: 1064 Posts: 6

2009-12-10 7:18 AM jdotten

Cold water swim - insulated swim cap?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 6231 Posts: 14

2009-06-03 7:58 PM Catwoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : June 10, 2008
author : shadoweloc
I was nervous. The water was cold. The cones defining the course were so far away. When the whistle blew for my wave, I waded in slowly to let everyone else pass me.
date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!

date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Team BT
The toll of fate strikes as those with orange swim caps are beckoned to begin the journey. Ahhh, nothing like the feel of ice cold water seeping in your wetsuit to wake you up. GO!
date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.