General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-26 9:43 AM

Subject: Running Help
I went from zero running base at the start of the year and followed the couch to 5K plan from here. After that was done, I was just running 3 days a week anywhere between 15-35 mins per time and between a total of 6-9 miles a week. I had no specific plan - I was just running. I based my time/distance on how I felt that day and if I was doing a brick workout.

As my first tri approached I realized how pathetically slow my running was but it was too late to make any changes. My first triathlon has passed (but was cancelled during the bike so I didn't "get" to run. For my next one (which is probably going to be next spring), I want to be better prepared to run. I don't know what the exact schedule will be for local triathlons but I'd like to do a couple of sprint triathlons, and an Oly tri. I also am planning to do an HIM-distance aqua bike (which would be September 2016).

I'm thinking that a 10K plan for beginners/intermediate (with some speed work to increase speed) might be good when 2-3 months out from the tri season and that from now until then I just need to build base because I didn't build enough this year. I'm thinking of keeping my 3 runs a week but I will increase the time (or distance?) by 10% each week for 3 weeks in a row (building in less volume every 4th week). Note: I know adding another day would be helpful but I'll be doing some swim meets and swimming 3-5 times per week, and I'll be doing some mountain bike rides, plus doing some road rides and with limited time 3 times a week is about all I can do but I work in (although I think I'll work in a 4th run when I start training specifically for the next season).

Does that sound reasonable? Does anyone have recommend plans to follow while I build up my base?

Thanks!

2015-08-26 10:00 AM
in reply to: stipey169

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Running Help
I would run more frequently if I were you. If you are running up to about 10 miles a week, I would do something like:

M - 1 mile
T - 1.5 miles
W - 1 mile
T - 1.5 miles
F - 1 mile
S - 3 miles
S - 1 mile

Keep it all easy and once you've done this consistently for a couple of weeks, then you can build a bit and see how you feel after that. Continue with some moderate increases and monitor how you feel during runs and how you recover.

While building, keep everything easy - build fitness through frequency and volume. Once you max out the time you have to build volume, then you can look to add intensity in one of the runs.

Shane
2015-08-26 11:56 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

I agree with what Shane is saying.

The OP shouldn't take advice from me as I am far from being an expert (I consider myself a beginner) but I'd be curious to get your thoughts Shane on something that crossed my mind while reading this.

Complaints about the run from new athletes come fast and furious on this and other boards, and so much of it stems from following plans that prescribe 2 or 3 runs per week. These same plans also allocate about 50% of the weekly time to the bike. While that time allocation may be good for an experienced athlete, it ignores the fact that the experienced athlete is also running frequently and logging serious mileage. If you scale their plan down to a volume suitable for a newcomer the end product is weekly mileage that is not enough to make for a good experience on the run portion of the race.

So much advice is given to focus on our weaknesses. I think that makes a ton of sense. People who aren't comfortable swimming need to get comfortable swimming. This is logical. But athletes that aren't accustomed to running a lot (which is probably all beginners) should be following the advice you gave and in doing so may find themselves spending more time running than perhaps many beginner plans would suggest. It is almost as if the early stages of an undertrained new triathlete will have time allocation that don't look like yours because building a running base takes a really long time. When you start to think about it, if someone came to you and said they wanted to do triathlon but they were afraid of the ocean and they hate running wouldn't you prescribe a schedule where that person is running daily, swimming 3-4 times a week and riding as much as their schedule can accommodate after the first two items are addressed? That doesn't seem like a sound long term formula but when you are trying to put the pieces together for a pleasurable triathlon experience I would think nailing those other two disciplines down would go a long way to making it a way of life and not just a one and done event.

Shane, what do you think about this?
2015-08-28 9:00 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

Thanks Shane and Gatornate!

I clearly need to be adding more run days. Should I be making my plans based on mileage or time? What are the pros and cons to both?

Thanks!
2015-08-28 10:19 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by Gatornate 

When you start to think about it, if someone came to you and said they wanted to do triathlon but they were afraid of the ocean and they hate running wouldn't you prescribe a schedule where that person is running daily, swimming 3-4 times a week and riding as much as their schedule can accommodate after the first two items are addressed? That doesn't seem like a sound long term formula but when you are trying to put the pieces together for a pleasurable triathlon experience I would think nailing those other two disciplines down would go a long way to making it a way of life and not just a one and done event.

Actually, that is not a bad plan for the vast majority of triathletes--not just the beginner.

2015-08-28 10:35 AM
in reply to: stipey169

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by stipey169 Thanks Shane and Gatornate! I clearly need to be adding more run days. Should I be making my plans based on mileage or time? What are the pros and cons to both? Thanks!

You can use either as long as you start from whatever base you have today.  That is, if you are running about 10mi a week reasonably comfortably, then Shane's plan works fine.  If that running adds up to about 2 hours, then you can divide your 2 hours of running into time blocks in a similar fashion.  Time is nice, because you can run anywhere with a watch and not worry about what the distance was.  But many people like to keep track of distance and that does matter when you are thinking about preparing for a specific race (you keep going until you reach the finish line, not when your watch beeps the time has elapsed) and you want to know whether you are getting up to appropriate distances or not. 

Training is about the combination of time (volume) and intensity which creates the 'load' that you use to stimulate adaptations in your body and allow you to go further/faster over time.  Distance covered is a byproduct of those factors (along with your current ability/speed).  As you start running, most of your intensity is going to be the same (fairly easy/moderate).  And, even for experienced runners, the majority of time running is at a similar intensity.  So, from a very broad perspective at least, either time or distance can give you the same rough look at what kind of load you are creating in running.  But, whereas 30min at an easy pace might be the same 'load' for you or me, you might go 4 mi and I might go 3.  I can't compare my mileage to yours and determine how hard you are training versus me--just that you happen to be faster.

2015-08-28 12:12 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by stipey169 Thanks Shane and Gatornate! I clearly need to be adding more run days. Should I be making my plans based on mileage or time? What are the pros and cons to both? Thanks!

You can use either as long as you start from whatever base you have today.  That is, if you are running about 10mi a week reasonably comfortably, then Shane's plan works fine.  If that running adds up to about 2 hours, then you can divide your 2 hours of running into time blocks in a similar fashion.  Time is nice, because you can run anywhere with a watch and not worry about what the distance was.  But many people like to keep track of distance and that does matter when you are thinking about preparing for a specific race (you keep going until you reach the finish line, not when your watch beeps the time has elapsed) and you want to know whether you are getting up to appropriate distances or not. 

Training is about the combination of time (volume) and intensity which creates the 'load' that you use to stimulate adaptations in your body and allow you to go further/faster over time.  Distance covered is a byproduct of those factors (along with your current ability/speed).  As you start running, most of your intensity is going to be the same (fairly easy/moderate).  And, even for experienced runners, the majority of time running is at a similar intensity.  So, from a very broad perspective at least, either time or distance can give you the same rough look at what kind of load you are creating in running.  But, whereas 30min at an easy pace might be the same 'load' for you or me, you might go 4 mi and I might go 3.  I can't compare my mileage to yours and determine how hard you are training versus me--just that you happen to be faster.

Thanks Johnny. Right now my only goalis building a base from now through the end of the year and then when I know what triathlon(s) I will be doing next year, I'll work on a specific plan for those (I'm thinking 3 ish sprints, an Oly, and a HIM (aqua-bike). Since I really haven't come to the point where I even somewhat enjoy running, I like to change it up by doing various routes, going to different parks, and once I get a bit better base, doing some easy trail runs. Given that, I'm thinking using a time plan will work good for me and can move to a mileage plan once I know what my schedule will look like for next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Help !! how to increase my speed

Started by Tring at 44
Views: 1071 Posts: 8

2006-07-22 6:20 AM RedCorvette

I've begun to hate running...HELP!

Started by christyr1978
Views: 855 Posts: 12

2006-07-19 2:47 PM devilwillride

Left Foot getting numb while running...HELP!

Started by Yellowk8t
Views: 1162 Posts: 8

2006-07-04 10:44 PM Clare44

tri changed to run-bike-run..help!!

Started by Tizzy
Views: 950 Posts: 9

2006-04-03 10:12 PM TriBefore40

Running Help

Started by julesf
Views: 491 Posts: 2

2004-07-29 9:04 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.