General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going from marathoner to IM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-26 2:05 PM

User image

Subject: Going from marathoner to IM?
Occasional lurker and first time poster. I realize questions like this are asked a million times, so please be gentle....

I am kicking around the idea of doing Mont-Tremblant in 2016. DW just did it (her first, and she rocked it) and has already registered for a do-over in 2016. I had a lot of fun being her sherpa and taking pics of everyone from our club, but the competitor in being tempted by the challenge.

I'm wondering if I am being dumb for even considering it.

A little background on myself:

I am a runner. I started running in 2011 and am a six time marathoner (recent PR from April is 3:16). I've been a steady 50 mpw runner for three years now, and get up into the 70's during peak marathon training. My next marathon is Oct 10 and am hoping to BQ (3:15). I do 15-20 running races a year.

I was a recreational cyclist before I was a runner. Mostly MTB, but more road in recent years. I ride maybe a thousand miles a year now. I know I'll need to work on that. My average cruising speed is in the 16-17 mph range on my road bike (Trek Madone 6.5). I've done a number of centuries but none since 2013.

I am new to swimming. In February, I could not swim the length of the pool. I can now do over a mile in open water. I am slow though. Last Friday's swim was 1.1 miles at 2:30 pace. I have plans to get coaching help after my October marathon.

I've just started doing triathlons this year. I've done six sprints and an Olympic. I've also done a number of duathlons. I am a back of the pack swimmer, middle of the pack biker, and make all my gains on the run. I am planning a HIM in June. I know it'd probably make the most sense to wait a year or two to tackle an IM, but we're going to be up there anyway which is why I am considering it. My goal would be to learn and finish.

So I guess I am wondering if I have the background to go for it, or if I am being an overzealous noob who needs to calm down already. I certainly respect the amount of dedication and work that would have to go into this training. Just looking for some feedback/opinions from more experienced folks. Much appreciated!

2015-08-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: Baboon

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Going from marathoner to IM?
Sounds like you have a decent idea of what you are in for, and want to do this race.
I really like IMMT. It's challenging but totally doable given proper training.

I'd say sign-up! Then you'll have to do it. LOL

Seriously, I do think it's a big jump but if you have the idea of finishing as a goal, and work on the weak spots from here on out, you will probably do fine. Maybe a lot better than your original goal.

Obviously the swimming and biking have to be strengthened, and you have experience on the bike that gives you an idea of the distance. Swimming is important enough to comfortably make the cutoff and reliably swim 2.4 miles in race conditions.

Get a decent plan, which will be 24 weeks or so. But have a "plan for the plan", where you develop your skills prior to starting the actual IM plan. That would be the biking and swimming for you. You'll want to consider how the training / race plan will go for the 70.3 in June, with a follow-on to IMMT.

You'll be taking on a bigger challenge with doing both a HIM and IM in the same year, which is tasking. You will need to learn about your nutrition, and hydration carefully in your training, and HIM. Not having a good plan for nutrition & hydration can tank you.

Of course the biggest hurdle with IM's is the long training period and volume, especially near the end (last 2.5 months). So evaluate that carefully.
2015-08-27 11:58 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

metafizx, thanks for that input!
2015-08-27 4:49 PM
in reply to: #5137024

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I don't think there's any question you can do it. Find a good plan/coach and be consistent with your workouts.
2015-08-28 12:27 PM

Master
, California

Like metafizx said, you should focus on your weak areas during the offseason and then run that into a full-on training plan ~24 weeks out.  If you're inclined, there are several good coaches on these forums.  I'd also suggest finding a local swim coach to help refine your technique.

With all of that, understand that learning to swim well takes some dedication, and biking faster just requires a lot of time, esp quality interval workouts.  You WILL end up scaling back your normal run mileage, which is a slightly bitter pill for dedicated runners.  The question of "how much" is where a coach can really help out.

2015-08-28 4:25 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You've got a great run base and that's the area a lot of triathletes hurt themselves doing, so you really are ahead of the game.  

You want to (and are close to) BQ.  

Great.

Now how much do you want to jeopardize that goal to start building up for IMMT next year?  

It's hard to keep running 50 mpw when you are swimming and biking also and especially when you're doing 10+ hours per week in those two activities like you'll be doing in the last half of IM training.  If you drop back to 30-40 mpw, how will that affect your running?  The cross training is good, but you'll probably experience some...frustration...as your run fitness moves to the South.  

The other issue is more logistical/political.  Your wife is already signed up for next year.  Is she on board with you racing it also?  You don't have to answer me, but you should have that conversation with her.  

Best of luck.  

2015-08-28 8:47 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I agree with what McFuzz typed.  

I'd also like to add the first rule of IM training is not to train like a marathoner.  If you try to apply your marathon run training to your IM run training your training is going to go south real quick.  The Ironman run course is littered with BQ level runners who struggle to five hour IM marathon times.  I like how it has been articulated at times... the goal of a marathon is to run as fast as you can for 26.2 miles.  The goal of an IM marathon is to not slow down as much as you can for 26.2 miles.

2015-08-30 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it. I understand the running will need to be cut and I may regress a little there, but honestly I could use a break from marathon training (been basically going from one cycle right into the next for 2.5 years now). I was a pretty good biker before running took over my life, so I am looking forward to being "forced" to get back out onto the bike more. I always enjoy my rides. I've got a great local swim coach who is just chomping at the bit to get me for some one-on-one lessons.

Wife is fully on board with this, but is probably a little bummed about losing such a good sherpa. She is gaining a training partner though.

Ok, I'm in.

Edited by Baboon 2015-08-30 1:25 PM
2016-06-20 8:13 AM

User image

UPDATE: Well I got through my first HIM this past Saturday (Patriot Half in East Freetown, MA). It went about as well as I could have hoped. I finished in 5:17:54.

Swim: 45:18. Still needs a lot of work, but I am improving. Physically it was fine, but the sun blinded me and I couldn't see where I was going the last 1000 yards.
Bike: 2:44:42. 20.3 mph. Thrilled with my bike. I've gotten a lot better here. I was hoping to come in under three hours. The bike made my race.
Run: 1:41:53. Well, I'm a runner. With a 1:30 stand alone HM PR, I'm happy with my HIM run. I ran pretty steady to the end, despite temps getting into the 80's.

9 more weeks until IMMT.
2016-06-20 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Well.........I think you've got it!

Good luck. Report back.
2016-06-20 11:51 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Baboon UPDATE: Well I got through my first HIM this past Saturday (Patriot Half in East Freetown, MA). It went about as well as I could have hoped. I finished in 5:17:54. Swim: 45:18. Still needs a lot of work, but I am improving. Physically it was fine, but the sun blinded me and I couldn't see where I was going the last 1000 yards. Bike: 2:44:42. 20.3 mph. Thrilled with my bike. I've gotten a lot better here. I was hoping to come in under three hours. The bike made my race. Run: 1:41:53. Well, I'm a runner. With a 1:30 stand alone HM PR, I'm happy with my HIM run. I ran pretty steady to the end, despite temps getting into the 80's. 9 more weeks until IMMT.

Your comment about the temp is a good reminder -- an IM marathon is always run during the hottest part of the day (we'll assume the weather will be nice at IMMT in August).  So just keep that in mind when you're training.  A lot of runners are morning people and it's a bit of a shock to be doing a marathon in 80F+.

But other than that, it looks like you're on track.  Keep up on the swimming and get a few sessions outdoors if you can.

2016-06-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by Baboon UPDATE: Well I got through my first HIM this past Saturday (Patriot Half in East Freetown, MA). It went about as well as I could have hoped. I finished in 5:17:54. Swim: 45:18. Still needs a lot of work, but I am improving. Physically it was fine, but the sun blinded me and I couldn't see where I was going the last 1000 yards. Bike: 2:44:42. 20.3 mph. Thrilled with my bike. I've gotten a lot better here. I was hoping to come in under three hours. The bike made my race. Run: 1:41:53. Well, I'm a runner. With a 1:30 stand alone HM PR, I'm happy with my HIM run. I ran pretty steady to the end, despite temps getting into the 80's. 9 more weeks until IMMT.

Your comment about the temp is a good reminder -- an IM marathon is always run during the hottest part of the day (we'll assume the weather will be nice at IMMT in August).  So just keep that in mind when you're training.  A lot of runners are morning people and it's a bit of a shock to be doing a marathon in 80F+.

But other than that, it looks like you're on track.  Keep up on the swimming and get a few sessions outdoors if you can.

Hopefully the IMMT weather will be nicer this year. I was sherpa for DW last year and that run looked brutal. 80's and humid. As far my training goes, almost all of my mid-week running is done in the late afternoon. I seem to race ok in the heat.
2016-08-23 8:36 PM

User image

Originally posted by Baboon

9 more weeks until IMMT.

aaaaand DONE. 12:07:51. That was some rough going....heavy rain and wind pretty much the entire race.

1:30 swim
6:15 bike
4:07 run

Given the conditions, I think I knocked this out of the park. Now to choose my next one!
2016-08-23 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Congratulations. That's VERY respectable! Good for you.
2016-08-23 9:36 PM
in reply to: #5137024

New user
For a Baboon, that is very nice. Thanks for the follow up. Very inspiring my friend.
2016-08-23 10:18 PM
in reply to: #5196469

Sounds a lot like me a few years ago. Best advice I can give is to register, nothing motivates more than the...what did I just get myself into feeling! Enjoy the journey.

2016-08-24 1:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Nicely done

2016-08-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: #5196475

User image

New user
Really solid time for a first IM. Good job.
2016-08-25 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What we all want to know, but are afraid to ask ... Did you beat DW?
And if you did....how does it feel ...to be sleeping in the doghouse?

Congrats again!

2016-08-26 10:09 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by triosaurus

Congrats again!

significantly.
2016-08-30 6:24 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro

Nicely done.  congrats

2016-08-30 8:55 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by triosaurus

Congrats again!

significantly.

2016-08-30 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
great job ! considering what I read on the conditions, that's a win for you.

glad you got er done.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going from marathoner to IM? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

do you go into IM heavier or lighter?

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 2405 Posts: 9

2012-07-01 9:11 PM KathyG

IM Registration going online only from IMKY onward (for all races)

Started by jonathan22
Views: 1659 Posts: 17

2008-07-24 10:46 PM Shermbelle

IM CDA - 2 Months to go! Pages: 1 2

Started by leopard8996
Views: 3044 Posts: 32

2008-05-12 9:18 PM garodgers

IM Loisville training....how goes it? Pages: 1 2

Started by joerigg
Views: 2764 Posts: 38

2007-01-25 9:14 AM JeepFleeb

south africans going to IM western austalia this year

Started by znzbwana
Views: 537 Posts: 1

2006-08-25 5:09 AM znzbwana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 5, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
I commonly hear marathoners, triathletes and other highly competitive endurance athletes complain “For all the exercise I do, I should be pencil thin.”

date : March 13, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
The Athlete’s Kitchen by Nancy Clark: Not even the healthiest marathoner or the strongest triathlete among us is bullet proof. Hence, the time to make dietary changes is now.