General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time IM - 16 hour - Hydration question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-26 3:53 PM

Subject: First time IM - 16 hour - Hydration question
Last year I weighed over 270lbs and struggled to walk a few hundred yards. If it wasn't beer or BBQ, I wasn't interested.

In a few weeks I'm going to do an Ironman in Louisville. I've been training for a year. I did a half in Wisconsin last month and fell part on the run due to nutrition and hydration.

I've been logging fluid ounces lost due to sweat on the run. I average 44oz lost per hour on the run and bike. I'm still a big guy and plan to take 16 hours to finish. That implies I will net loose 44 lbs of water during my 16 hour adventure.

My coach is awesome. She trains fast people. She suggests I target replacing 35% of my fluid loss per hour because most peoples bodies will struggle to take in more than that. I'm inclined to trust her because she hasn't let me down yet, but her experience is with fast people (probably not people who plan to be at this for 16 hours).

My question is - given I'm going to be taking 16 hours and will go thru about 44lbs of water in the day... is a 35% fluid replenishment rate what you would suggest for a 16hr full IM?

If so - I'll end up dropping 28lbs on race day and be in the <200lbs range for the first time since college.

Edited by sstudham 2015-08-26 3:53 PM

2015-08-26 4:58 PM
in reply to: sstudham

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: First time IM - 16 hour - Hydration question
Louisville is usually a very hot race from what I know.

Your electrolyte balance with water intake will be a huge factor in this IM race.

You'll want to plan on taking in adequate electrolytes so that you don't become hyponatremic. This can happen with taking in too much water and not enough replacement electrolytes (mainly sodium). Of course the opposite can happen if you take in too much salt and not enough water.

Try to stay as cool as possible with ice in your hat, and wear arm coolers on the bike and run.

More than likely dehydration will be a factor for you, but be careful not to drink too much water. It's hard to say what the exact amount should be.

Perhaps these articles can help:
http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/fuel-s...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/General_Physiology/The_Math_of_s...
2015-08-31 8:50 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Veteran
Berkley
Originally posted by metafizx

Louisville is usually a very hot race from what I know.

Just an FYI - It was hot because it use to be in Aug., while it still might be warm, I think we can expect a little lower temps for Oct.
2015-08-31 7:40 PM
in reply to: sstudham

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
If your coach has done a good job up to this point, then you should definitely follow her advice. As your coach, she will understand your goals and what is/ isn't appropriate for you versus a "fast person." Try the strategy on your next long ride, run, or brick to see how you respond. You can make any adjustments based on that experience. An "easy" way to stay on top of hydration/ nutrition during the run is to walk through each aid station. Get some water to drink, some to pour on your head, and some sort of nutrition (liquid or otherwise) to get some calories. Good luck and congratulations on your effort.
2015-09-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I would workout for 16 hours just to lose 44lbs!!

Trust your coach and your plan. I am no expert but I HIGHLY doubt that you would actually lose that much weight over the course of an IM. Hydrate and take in food/nutrition throughout the day and you will be fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time IM - 16 hour - Hydration question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First time IM Special Needs Bag

Started by Alekssdunn
Views: 2223 Posts: 13

2015-08-05 12:26 PM tedjohn

First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried.

Started by adamrlowe
Views: 3862 Posts: 14

2014-07-16 2:26 PM Jason N

3 days post first IM and I want to get my time down next year

Started by kathy caribe
Views: 2379 Posts: 20

2011-12-20 5:39 PM paradigm777

Recovery time from your first IM

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 2582 Posts: 22

2010-07-12 3:13 PM Jdub532

First IM - training question