General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TrainingPeaks Performance Management Chart Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-01 11:52 PM
in reply to: tjones2k9

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: TrainingPeaks Performance Management Chart
Originally posted by tjones2k9

This is all pretty interesting.. So much so that I went and signed up for Training Peaks and uploaded a few months workouts (kinda). I'm being coached remotely, but we don't talk too much about this sort of thing. It's been a bit of a crazy year for me schedule wise so I'm not sure what kind of data I will get out of it. I have a lot to learn!

One question I have about including swim metrics. I have a Suunto Ambit 2s and it will record laps. It only exports in .fit and .xlsx for swim workouts. Neither seem to upload very well to TP. If you can't upload them, do you record them manually or just leave them out?

Sorry if I've hijacked.. Carry on.

Welcome to the world of TrainingPeaks & driving yourself crazy with data!

I use this for all the athletes I coach, it's especially useful for the remote / distance clients since I don't see them ever. Most never ask to talk about this and really they don't care to, that's what they pay me for!

But it's still fun and useful to go over for those that are interested in it.

For swim metrics if you can't upload the file you can always enter the time / distance manually. I think it auto calcuates your TSS based on what thresholds you have in there even if you manually input the distance.

2015-09-02 5:20 AM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by tzcoaching
Originally posted by tjones2k9This is all pretty interesting.. So much so that I went and signed up for Training Peaks and uploaded a few months workouts (kinda). I'm being coached remotely, but we don't talk too much about this sort of thing. It's been a bit of a crazy year for me schedule wise so I'm not sure what kind of data I will get out of it. I have a lot to learn!One question I have about including swim metrics. I have a Suunto Ambit 2s and it will record laps. It only exports in .fit and .xlsx for swim workouts. Neither seem to upload very well to TP. If you can't upload them, do you record them manually or just leave them out?Sorry if I've hijacked.. Carry on.
Welcome to the world of TrainingPeaks & driving yourself crazy with data! I use this for all the athletes I coach, it's especially useful for the remote / distance clients since I don't see them ever. Most never ask to talk about this and really they don't care to, that's what they pay me for! But it's still fun and useful to go over for those that are interested in it. For swim metrics if you can't upload the file you can always enter the time / distance manually. I think it auto calcuates your TSS based on what thresholds you have in there even if you manually input the distance.
Yes, you're right. It will calculate swim TSS based on your manual entry and the threshold pace you set up. Something else for new users to learn is that not all TSS data is equally reliable. Coggin et al invented it using power data, so TSS based on FTP for biking is the most reliable. TSS based on swimming is the least. In between are TSS for running based on HR and paces, and biking based on HR.
2015-09-02 11:52 AM
in reply to: tzcoaching

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tzcoaching Depends on the race. C race= 60 - 70 B race = 70 - 80 A race = 90 - 100

Great stuff.  When I was more cycling focused, I got pretty familiar with the Performance Manager in Golden Cheetah- which worked well with my power meter files. But now I'm very run focused and just synched everything into EnduranceTracker.  ET is giving me some nice looking plots, although I need to learn a new set of terms.  I think:  Fitness = CTL, Form = TSB, Load = TSS, Freshness = ATL  (which is a really strange name for ATL, seems like 'fatigue' would be a better name).  

Two questions:  

1.  Is run training inherently a lower CTL, because you just don't spend as much TIME running as you do cycling?  My CTL is upper 60's close to 70 and I'm feeling pretty beat up/fatigued at that level.  So- actually, that's not a question.  I'm learning that with ETs calculation, I feel pretty beat up at 70.  And it's just that.  So, nix Q1.

so, really just one question:

2.  I have a choice of using pace or HR to calculate Load/TSS.  (or RPE if I want).  I run on moderately hilly terrain, so pace varies considerably, therefore I've been using HR.  I know, pretty close, my HRLT and MaxHR.  Am I much better off using HR rather than pace?  Example:  this morning, when it was hot and sticky, I was a little dehydrated and by the end of my 10 miler, my HR was higher than my pace or RPE would normally indicate.  Would that overestimate my TSS=Load for that run?  by pace the TSS came out as 100.  by HR it came out as 126.  That's a pretty substantial difference.  (it was a 1:25 workout, with a few miles of tempo and a solid hill climb where I was over threshold)

thoughts?  or am I just overanalyzing.

Race on monday... trying to figure out what kind of TSB I should target.  Sounds like I shouldn't let it shoot up into high positive numbers, but rather keep it close to 0?  

2015-09-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by morey000
so, really just one question:

2.  I have a choice of using pace or HR to calculate Load/TSS.  (or RPE if I want).  I run on moderately hilly terrain, so pace varies considerably, therefore I've been using HR.  I know, pretty close, my HRLT and MaxHR.  Am I much better off using HR rather than pace?  Example:  this morning, when it was hot and sticky, I was a little dehydrated and by the end of my 10 miler, my HR was higher than my pace or RPE would normally indicate.  Would that overestimate my TSS=Load for that run?  by pace the TSS came out as 100.  by HR it came out as 126.  That's a pretty substantial difference.  (it was a 1:25 workout, with a few miles of tempo and a solid hill climb where I was over threshold)

thoughts?  or am I just overanalyzing.

Race on monday... trying to figure out what kind of TSB I should target.  Sounds like I shouldn't let it shoot up into high positive numbers, but rather keep it close to 0?  

I use pace. But TP actually calculates a NGP (Normalized Gradient pace) that takes into account hills and calculates a pace as if you had run on flats.

I'd have to check if ET uses average or Normalized pace.

Don't look at your TSB in isolation. You have to look at the whole chart.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TrainingPeaks Performance Management Chart Rss Feed  

of 2