General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Light question for tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-27 1:57 PM

Subject: Light question for tri bike
Hello

I'm curious what all of you like and use on your tri bikes. Since most lights seem to mount on a round base bar, and my tri bikes have an aero base bar (Vision bars), what are you using to attach lights to your bike?

Due to my schedule, I'm forced to do a lot of my riding at night, on fairly busy roads. They're well lit, so I'm not concerned about having a powerful headlight to light up my path, but just want to be seen by the cars on the road, since I've had a couple of near misses in the last few weeks.

Ideally, I'd like something that can be removed quickly for daytime riding, or switched between bikes for when I'm doing longer rides on my road or mountain bikes. I have a cheap Ebay light, but the flimsy mount doesn't really fit anywhere on my handlebars.

Any and all recommendations are welcome, thanks!

2015-08-28 10:20 AM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Light question for tri bike
For my tri bike, I use a Profile Design UCM attached to the left aero bar. This gives you about a 2" stub parallel to the base bar that you can put a standard light mount on.

I have a road bike with an aero top section on the bars that a standard mount will not work on (for the same reason it won't work on most base bars). For the road bike, I use a Velcro helmet mount. It straps nicely on the flat of the bar. The light rattles a bit on rough roads, but it's good enough for the night riding I do. I've toyed with the idea of using the PD UCM on the drops of the road bar, but I'd have to spend too much time messing around with the bar tape to make this worthwhile.

I think it'd be a slick idea if the light manufacturers would make a mount or an adapter that would mount in a standard garmin quick-release.
2015-08-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Light question for tri bike
Originally posted by g_shotts

I think it'd be a slick idea if the light manufacturers would make a mount or an adapter that would mount in a standard garmin quick-release.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/varia-smart-bike... . Ive never seen this product, but it does have the garmin qr mount. I would use a K-edge TT mount. You could flip the Kedge mount and get the light under your bars. I use one for my Edge and the mount has a solid click lock,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Light question for tri bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Adding lights to a tri bike?

Started by scott
Views: 3138 Posts: 5

2013-09-04 4:35 PM g_shotts

Aero wheels for lighter riders or light weight wheels

Started by baoneer
Views: 1936 Posts: 2

2012-12-24 7:47 AM audiojan

Lights and light setup on Tri bikes

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1237 Posts: 2

2010-10-05 10:26 AM dalessit

Rear light/reflector on tri bike frame

Started by nrodrigo
Views: 1900 Posts: 6

2010-09-23 3:45 PM D.Z.

Road bike/tri bike fit question

Started by Timmeh!
Views: 1071 Posts: 4

2008-12-05 9:32 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”