World Triathlon Corporation
21.8C / 71F
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 00m 10s
Overall Rank = 1847/
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 39/74
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, had a banana and a bar. We got to the race site early to get up set up before the crowds. The wind was up pretty high, I was shivering. I got into my wetsuit quite early to stay warm. Had my pre-race drink before getting into the water.
Event warmup:

We had to warm up on the ocean side of the beach park--high wind was making it really choppy, so we just had some fun riding the waves and getting warm.
Swim
  • 1h 16m 40s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decided to swim together the whole course. The wind was causing some chop and some current. There was a fair bit of poor navigation happening and we got cut off a fair bit....I was keeping an eye on the time, and knew we were keeping a relatively good pace, despite the 'stops' we made to check in. There were signs hung on each bridge with the race distance on them, which was super helpful.

The bridges were full of spectators cheering, which was kinda cool. Tons of weeds here, I had them wrapped across my face as I was swimming...ewwwwww. We got around the buoys at the far end of the course, and then the chop came up, and a current that was pushing us off course to the right. I was trying to aim us somewhat left to keep us on course. I had a moment of panic when I thought we were supposed to be to the right of a buoy--then I realized the buoy had been blown pretty much onto the beach, and figured we were fine :)

Just beyond the aforementioned buoy, it got very shallow. Like about 8 inches. We had a somewhat lengthy stop here, as we were laughing our heads off at some guy who decided that it would be faster to run than to swim. Is that even legal? (For the record, I checked after, and there is no rule that says you cannot 'run' the swim).

Finished the back stretch, made the final turn and headed to the last buoy to turn in towards the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was really really happy with this swim for more reasons than just timing.
Transition 1
  • 06m 42s
Comments:

Had to pee...
Bike
  • 6h 28m 29s
  • 180.2 kms
  • 27.83 km/hr
Comments:

Plan was to stay in low Z2 for entire bike and I did just that. The first section along the ocean was beautiful, if not windy. Mostly cross wind, and I was able to keep a pretty good speed. I was about 10km into the bike when I started having trouble shifting. There seemed to be a hesitation; I was thinking my hands were cold and I wasn't pressing the buttons hard enough, so tried holding them, but it was spotty and random. It would shift, then it wouldn't. I was thinking that this could be really bad...I stopped at about 25km to check the connections--they all seemed fine, so I had no idea what the issue was. Got going again, and I was shifting just fine--yaay! Wiggling the connections must have worked. Then, got into aero, and couldn't shift again. Crap. Took me a couple minutes to realize that shifters on the aerobars were not working, but bullhorns were fine. Okay, not ideal, but manageable. It meant shifting my weight onto my left arm every time to shift, but so be it.

After the turn inland, I was sure glad I had gears. Tons of rolling hills, lots of shifting up and down. Not big hills or big shifts, but definitely glad to have all my gears. It was a beautiful area, lots of farmland, wheat fields. Many people had tables and chairs set up at the end of their driveways, having drinks, picnics, and cheering.

Turn left onto the highway and there was a strong headwind. Like stop you dead wind. Once you got through that, there was one big hill--great crown support here. An announcer was calling out racers, crowds lined the street like you see at the TdF.

Second loop about the same. Kept my HR in Z2. Wind picked up a bit for the second loop. Made sure my nutrition and drinking was on course. First and second loop were pretty close timing wise, maybe a tiny bit of a negative split. My left shoulder and arm were getting pretty tired by this point, and I was happy to make the turn toward the finish. Those last 10km were long though....

Not sure...shifting was just fine in the days before. Something came loose internally, cause there was nothing wrong with the connections that I could mess with.
Transition 2
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

Stopped at the dismount line, vollie grabbed my bike and I grabbed bag and into tent. Helmet off, bib, shoes, hat on and go.
Run
  • 5h 04m 14s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 07m 13s  min/km
Comments:

My goal was to run the whole thing, just walking aid stations. I had no idea if I could, but wanted the goal. I felt tired after the bike, so wasn't sure--but I think the fatigue was neck and shoulder rather than legs. I have only run one Marathon in my life and it was a 4:45; I was hoping for a 5hr here.

Held it reigned in--Z2 again. In Whistler I went out way too fast and died in the heat and ended up walking a lot. Didn't want to do the same here. I had gotten some arm coolers for this race and they definitely helped (although it was not as hot as Whistler).

Crowd support was really great again, lining the course. People calling out "Go Canada" from the flag on my bib. There were a couple small hills--I ran them the first loop, then decided that I would walk some of them as well. It wasn't until partway through the second loop that I decided I should start paying attention to how the course went for psychological reasons if nothing else....

Had a bit of a pity party as I started my third loop. Passing the finish line it tough. Walked the stretch down to the water, thinking I might just walk, but told myself to start running again at the Red Bull arch, and did. Got the wrist band on that loop and moped about the fact that I had one more to do... Walked the aid station in Nyhavn on this loop and kept walking a bit for another pity party. Told myself to start running at the pedestrian sign up ahead, and starting going before it. I'm always amazed at how much we are capable of, if only we just get out of our own way. Tell yourself you can do it, and you can. Tell yourself you can't and you won't. Simple.

Got to the start of the last loop and saw that if I pushed it, I could make a sub 13. Unreal. Everytime I passed any of 'my' landmarks, I told myself "I never have to go by this again." Got about halfway through the last loop when my gut started giving me warning signals. I have never had a 'real' issue in a race--just bloating and gas. So I was pretty sure this was the case here too, so kept going. Got the wrist band and headed back up to second last aid station and decided that I didn't want to risk was could be just gas, but could be a disaster. I stopped to use the portapotty--it was a false alarm, same as always and it cost me my sub-13. Grrrrr!!! :D

Got going, and really tried to push the last couple km. They were my fastest for sure. Finished strong and with a smile on my face.

NOT STOP!!! Nah, not really much.
Post race
Warm down:

Wind was really cold! Didn't feel cold while running but cooled off quickly. Showers were available so I took advantage. Got into some clean and dry clothes. We stuck around to watch the last finishers come in, which was really fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I am super proud of my race, even more so than Whistler. Stuck to my plan, was able to keep running for the entire thing.

Last updated: 2014-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:40 | 3800 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 23/74
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out around first buoy, right turn, 1100 m out to last bridge. Turn around just beyond bridge, then long back stretch 1600m. Swim was in the lagoon, and it was quite shallow in places, and a fair bit of weeds. Under the second bridge was about 1900m, third was 2700. Turnaround just beyond the third bridge, and back to start.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 22C / 71F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:28:29 | 180.2 kms | 27.83 km/hr
Age Group: 39/74
Overall: 1942/
Wind: Strong
Course: Out along the beach, turn through the city, then up the coast. Turn inland at 40km, then rolling course through small towns and wheat fields. Turn onto the highway at 70km, hill at 80km, cobblestone section around km 90, then start second loop. After second loop, 170km, turn towards the city and in to T2.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:04:14 | 42.2 kms | 07m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 0/74
Overall: 0/
Course: Four loops--toward water from T2, right turn, turn around and run along boardwalk, back past where T2 is, long loop; along the water, through Nyhavn, cobblestone along the water out towards the Little Mermaid. Turnaround at 7km, get the wristband and back along pretty much the same course, goes inland rather than along the water at points. Loop ends with circling a statue in front of the castle and passing the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-28 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Ironman Copenhagen

2015-08-28 10:24 PM
in reply to: #5137448

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Copenhagen

Super, super job all the way through.  I couldn't be happier for you.

2015-08-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Orlando

Great job!  What a cool experience to race in Denmark!  Congratulations!!

2015-08-29 6:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
awesome job!

It's so true about the mental aspect of it ESPECIALLY on the run. Good job talking yourself through it.

2015-08-31 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

You rock!!!!! Wow, what a great race, you fought a number of issues that could have derailed you, yet were unrelenting.  You have every reason to be proud! And I loved your observation:

"I'm always amazed at how much we are capable of, if only we just get out of our own way. Tell yourself you can do it, and you can. Tell yourself you can't and you won't. Simple."

Congratulations on a great day!

2015-08-31 1:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

A well-executed race and finishing with a smile is MUCH to be proud of, not to mention a very good time!  Sounds like an incredible day, congrats!

2015-08-31 8:34 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome job!! Very well managed, sticking to your plan throughout.  Well done!

2015-08-31 9:49 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Awesome race and great job! I would have laughed at the guy "running" the swim as well! When I did IM Boulder and got weeds stuck in my timing band all I could think of was the Grindylow from Harry Potter, hehe!
2015-09-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Seattle

Chris already brought this up but I know you and I have talked about this a couple times, ""I'm always amazed at how much we are capable of, if only we just get out of our own way. Tell yourself you can do it, and you can. Tell yourself you can't and you won't. Simple."

It's been so wonderful to see your journey as you continue to get out of your own way. I can't wait to see what else you tell yourself you can do!

2015-09-01 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great JOB!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the (almost) 13!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad the gear problem didn't become too much of an issue. I'm not crazy about loop courses so I think 4 would put me in a mad house. You rocked it!

2015-09-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Thanks everyone!  TJ, I am not crazy about loops either, but this was not too bad.  It made it easy to split the marathon into 4-10k's.  

2015-09-03 8:36 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Katy, Texas
You absolutely rocked it!! Like Steve I'm so happy for you!! What a well executed race, especially to be able to run the last 5k fast!!
2015-09-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What a great race!  I hope that you had a blast!  I was so proud of you as I followed the updates on race day.  WAY TO GO!

2015-09-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Had fun stalking you   What a great race you had planned, and kept to it!  Good job keeping the doubts at bay and staying positive.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Copenhagen Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Copenhagen

Started by Dutchcrush
Views: 961 Posts: 1

2015-08-24 1:03 AM Dutchcrush

ironman Copenhagen

Started by Gla56
Views: 897 Posts: 1

2013-10-26 12:51 AM Gla56

Copenhagen 4:18:4 TRI

Started by KimTri
Views: 740 Posts: 1

2010-09-12 8:11 AM KimTri

Disney 1/2 ironman

Started by atcbillf
Views: 1204 Posts: 1

2004-03-15 12:00 AM atcbillf

Ironman Canada

Started by ithicks
Views: 985 Posts: 1

2004-02-10 12:00 AM ithicks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.