General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach recs wanted Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-28 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Coach recs wanted
Posted something similar a few weeks ago but got few responses to the second part of my question--

I'm looking into getting some coaching for next tri season (HIM in late spring, probably some Olympic distance races in the summer). Just feel like I've "gone about as far as I can go" on hard work, a pretty strong background in running and swimming, and very limited knowledge of biking or tri. I contacted a couple of people in the past two weeks and have heard nothing back. Guessing it's bad timing with fall races and (for those with higher-level athletes) Kona approaching, but due to work and coursework demands, the best window of time for me to set something up is really closing by the end of the next month if I'm going to start this fall (probably October or November--want to take a break next month). Otherwise will just keep going at it on my own, and maybe try again in January. Please, feel free to PM me if you think you (if a coach) or your coach would be interested in working with someone in my situation. Or if you know of other places that would be good to start a search (is there some kind of registry for coaches??), please let me know....

*46 years old, PB's of 5:32 (HIM) and 2:34 (Olympic), 1:15 for sprint (a while back; don't do them much). Mainly do Oly to HIM distance. No plans for full IM in near future.
*Strong background in running (sub-elite level in late teens) though not that fast now. Ditto for swimming (HS and age group swimmer).
*Zero background in biking prior to getting into tri about five years ago.
* I live/work in Vietnam about 10 months a year, at least this school year and possibly next. My set-up for training here is a bit complicated in terms of when I can do various workouts, particularly swimming, long runs, and outdoor biking. It hasn't stopped me from training, but it does make it hard for me to use "canned" plans as written without extensive revision. Would be happy to explain the parameters to a coach.
*Related to above, communication needs to be mainly by e-mail and maybe Skype, and there is a 12-15 hour time difference with US/Canada! I'm fine with this but maybe some coaches aren't? Or look for someone in Singapore or Australia closer to my time zone??
*No real need for hand-holding or motivational pep talks (usually!). I know how to work hard and am self-motivated. Just feel like I need some guidance with addressing my weaknesses, making the most of limited time to train, balancing workload, and peaking for races.
*Funds are not limitless. I'm a teacher, single income, don't generally win prize $. Not setting an absolute limit but it would need to be reasonable, and worth my while to justify spending $ rather than using/modifying a plan from a book or website.

2015-08-29 8:48 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Coach recs wanted
Hey there!

Would be happy to help out. Feel free to shoot me an email tony @ tzcoaching.com and check out my website for some info. If you have any questions of course happy to help!

Also TrainingPeaks does have a directory of coaches if you want to review that as well.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/find-a-coach

2015-08-30 6:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks! I have received some replies in the past day and am going to work through them one by one. The "find a coach" thing was quite funny--it goes by area and I had to back up until I could see all of SE Asia before one appeared based in Malaysia! Sounds a bit too youth and elite-oriented for the likes of me, though. There are some tri coaches in Singapore but reluctant to work with them as 1. They coach most of my AG rivals. and 2. Their services are really based on face to face contact and club workouts, which obviously I can't attend.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-08-30 6:12 AM
2015-08-30 6:45 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I sent you a PM... feel free to drop me a line with any questions regarding the coach.

Good luck!
2015-08-31 2:51 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Heath Dotson at www.hdcoaching.net

Brian Stover at www.Accelerate3.com

2015-08-31 7:43 PM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks to all--I have quite a few recs now which I am slowly following up!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coach recs wanted Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Coach Wanted

Started by iTri70.3
Views: 1029 Posts: 11

2015-08-20 12:14 PM kalish

Wanna-be coach wants tips

Started by moabrunner
Views: 844 Posts: 8

2009-09-19 5:08 PM orange223

need non-cotton underwear recs Pages: 1 2

Started by tomp
Views: 3655 Posts: 38

2013-05-31 11:51 AM johnmoran

Swimming coach wants me in ballerina shoes...

Started by cluelessdude
Views: 2513 Posts: 25

2006-04-20 9:38 AM Yendor 73

Recs for first sprint tri please!...

Started by bmilmine
Views: 843 Posts: 7

2006-03-12 10:15 PM dboyle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.