General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harvest Moon Half Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-29 11:28 AM

Centennial, Colorado
Subject: Harvest Moon Half
Only 15 days! This will be my first half iron distance. Getting excited/terrified. May try and pre ride the course this week.

Anyone else signed up?

2015-08-30 4:29 PM
in reply to: Wrightjoseph

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Half

It's a great race and it was my first half iron distance as well.  I definitely recommend pre-riding the course, or as much of it as you can.  If your plan doesn't call for any more 50+ mile rides, you can park right where you turn into the reservoir and then ride the course without the out and back and the ride into and out of the rez.  That will save you about 13-14 miles.  Wind is the biggest factor to this course and be sure to save something for the return on the Quincy rollers.

Also, there is zero shade for the run so stay cool and hydrated.  I've done the race twice and both times it's been in the 90s.

Good luck!

2015-09-01 8:20 AM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by FF Stock
 . . .and be sure to save something for the return on the Quincy rollers.

This. The first half of the bike is deceptively easy. You can really pay for that on the second half as you return to the reservoir. On the plus side, the water in the reservoir is great. Cool, but not cold and very clear compared to other places in the area.
2015-09-03 12:50 PM
in reply to: #5137518

Centennial, Colorado
I rode the course this morning. I'm glad I did. No big suprises but the Kiowa/Bennett road was tougher than I thought it would be. I don't mind the Quincy roller coaster. What comes up must go down and there is some free speed on the down.

2015-09-08 11:50 AM

Just got the email this morning saying that the bike course has been changed to be 4 loops of 14 miles each. Basically from transition out to Quincy then down to Watkins road then turn around and come back. The upside to this is that the course is totally closed to traffic. I sort of suspected this might happen after they made the Crescent Moon Olympic bike course 2 laps back in June. It sounds like Arapahoe County is no longer going to allow the bike course to run on roads open to traffic (and they will only close roads on Quincy out to Watkins).

So, sort of a mixed bag. 4 laps might get boring, but will make the things a bit more predictable and the road surface on Quincy is quite good.
2015-09-08 12:23 PM
in reply to: andrewpitts

Centennial, Colorado
I just saw this as well.

I think this will be a faster course for me but 4 loops might get a little boring.

2015-09-14 5:48 PM

So that was quite the gritty, hot day out there. What'd everyone else think?
2015-09-14 6:30 PM

That was the worst of my 3 half's. The bike course was not in itself hard but the wind was killer.

I think I will run it again next year hopefully the wind will not be as bad.
2015-10-06 5:12 PM
in reply to: dougie2008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Very tough day out there: hot, windy.  I thought the bike course was very slow.  It was difficult to get into a groove and the sheer number of turns and 180s per lap really slowed things down.  I estimate that I was 15-20 minutes slower on this course versus the original course.

I'm definitely curious to see what happens next year and if the race will happen or perhaps move venues.  A four lap half iron bike is not very appealing.  Truly unfortunate as this is an amazing race and my third time completing it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Harvest Moon Half Rss Feed