Perth, Western Australia
AU
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and had breakfast then headed to K&A's who were doing to 12k. Every time I woke up during the night it had been raining so I was pretty certain that we were going to get wet, especially since they had been forecasting showers for the morning.

Coughed nearly all the way to Ks and was not relishing the thought of running. But I think that I got it out of my system because once we were on the train it stopped (also by then it had warmed up a bit).

K decided that we needed to drive to the train rather than walk so we did that. Once again free public transport with race entry which is good.

Caught the train into the city. K&A headed to their start area and I changed trains and went to mine.
Event warmup:

The marathon course went right past our start area and then the two courses merged so I stood and cheered those guys on as they went past until it was time for us to start.

I didn't do a warm up just started slow.
Run
  • 2h 48m 35s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 07m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Started out with the plan to do a 3/2 run/walk pattern for the entire race. I was a bit hard to do this at the start because I felt really good, but I knew that if I didn't stick pretty close to it that I wouldn't make it to the end. So I kept telling myself to slow down and stick to the plan.

After about the first k the course turns into kings park which overlooks the city and the river and houses the state's botanic gardens and the state war memorial. It is a beautiful place to run and the weather was just perfect, a little bit overcast and a light breeze.

All the avenues in the park are lined with trees that have been planted in honour of West Australian that have lost their lives in combat. There are 1,000s of trees - great big old gums so it was really sobering to run the avenues, and somehow the hills didn't seem any where near as bad when I thought about what all of these young men had gone through.

For most of the race there had been a lady a bit ahead of me who was doing the marathon, pushing a pram with a kid who must have been about 2 in it. Anyway going up one of the longer hills in the park I looked up and there is 4 people pushing the pram and the kid was walking. When I got a bit closer there was a big tall young guy sitting in the pram being pushed up the hill. He had his shoes off and the bottoms of his feet were raw and the people were pushing him up the hill to the next volunteer because he could no longer stand let alone walk.

At around the 11k mark the route comes out of the park and merges alongside the 12k run course. I was feeling pretty good at this point even though my 3/2 pattern had me running up most of the hills. Even though I felt pretty good I made myself keep the pace down and stuck to the 3/2 because I knew there were still some pretty massive hills ahead of me.

One of the worst is at about the 16k mark, I managed to run about 1/2 way up this one so I was pretty pleased with that. But the worst hill hits you with 2k to go and there was just no way I could run up it. Once I got to the top I ran all the way into the finish.

I was about 300m from the line and I heard my name and I looked across to the 12k group and there was K&A just at the same spot so it was pretty perfect timing.

It felt fantastic to cross the line and in less time that I had expected. Right up until yesterday I thought that this run was going to be a 3+ hour suffer fest but it felt pretty good right up to about that 2k to go hill.
What would you do differently?:

Um train and not take 6 flights in the 2 weeks prior to the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the HM maze and found K&A, grabbed an apple and some water and we headed to the line for the buses back to the city.

While we were waiting I started to get a migraine and I was beginning to think that I was gonna spend the next hour or so getting home in a bad way. Thankfully A had some panadol and I went and got a bottle of coke. The two together plus Jill's mighty jaw pressure point therapy worked a treat and the vision issues started to subside and the headache didn't end up too bad.

Once we got back to the city we had missed the train by about 2 minutes so we went and had lunch and caught the next train home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training

Event comments:

This is a great race and the hills make it challenging without being too hard.

Between the Marathon, HM, 12k and 4k events 40,000+ people take part which makes the atmosphere great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-07-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:48:35 | 21.1 kms | 07m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: This course is extremely hilly, with a large hill at the 16k mark and then a heartbreaking hill at 2k to go.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-08-30 4:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: Perth City2Surf

2015-08-31 1:37 PM
in reply to: #5137589

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Perth City2Surf

Nice work, Stacey!  Sounds like a beautiful race, and I love how you kept things in perspective along the tree-lined memorial area.  Congrats!

2015-09-01 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a wonderful race!!! Congrats!

Funny, I always read Jo's posts with an accent but didn't with yours until you said pram

2015-09-02 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations on beating your goal time!  We want pictures!  Did you get a medal?  We want pictures!

2015-09-03 7:39 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations on beating your goal time!  We want pictures!  Did you get a medal?  We want pictures!

Sorry Janyne I didn't take pictures, not a big fan of photos of myself. But yes there was a medal, this is one of the very few races that give them here.
2015-09-03 9:23 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Katy, Texas
Congrats on beating your goal, well done considering all of your travel recently!!

2015-09-03 12:37 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Congrats on killin' your goal! Sounds like a tough course! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Perth City2Surf Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sun-Herald City2Surf

Started by jobaxas
Views: 1309 Posts: 2

2012-08-17 7:54 AM nigelw

The Sun-Herald City2Surf

Started by swayerm
Views: 1174 Posts: 3

2011-08-16 6:26 AM nigelw