General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missed longest ride in training plan...now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-30 10:23 AM

Subject: Missed longest ride in training plan...now what?
I'm doing my first IM in Chattanooga this September. I've been using the beginner ironman training plan on this site (thank you!) Other than having to miss two workouts in week 6 due to fatigue and a cough that wouldn't quit, I haven't missed a single workout and have done everything to a T. In the past I've done one marathon, several sprints, and one 1/2 IM. On the bike I got up to 90 miles on my 5 hour ride and felt great. Today, I went out for my 6 hour ride, but the weather was simply insane. It was raining hard, severe weather alert, and in the low 70s (a bit colder when you're drenched). I didn't initially care, but after an hour I was freezing and couldn't see because it was raining so hard. I pulled off and looked at the weather and the radar didn't show any signs of quitting. I made the executive decision to call it. The potential to get sick or injured outweighed the option of sticking it out. I would cosnider myself to be fairly disciplined and this is driving me crazy. I'm not going to get on the trainer for 5 hours..no way. So, my question: how much of a setback is this for me? Should I try to this again during a recovery or taper week? I'm assuming the answer is no, but I yield to your collective experience. I spoke with a guy who never rode more than 2 hours before his 1st IM! That seems a bit too dicey to me, but was that 5 hour, 90 mile ride, 2 weeks ago enough to prepare me?

2015-08-30 10:40 AM
in reply to: Brion11

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Missed longest ride in training plan...now what?

Your training is a cumulative effort up to this point.  One missed day here or there doesn't amount to a hill of beans.  I've said this countless times... the fixation on a single long workout is pointless.  It's the days, weeks, months, and years leading up to race day that matter.  No one workout defines your race.

You're still four week out from Chattanooga.  Do another five hour ride next week, maybe another one the week after if it will set your mind at ease, and do a two week taper.

2015-08-30 6:35 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
Northern IL

As has been stated, no single workout of any type that you do (or don't) is going to make or break your day. If you're unsure, slow down a touch on the day of. Consider stepping off the bike for a minute at an aid station once or twice. Though be sure to be out of the way if you do.

2015-08-31 8:24 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
Houston
Yep, what they said. I have Redman full aqua/bike in September and IMAZ in November. Yesterday was supposed to be 80+ miles. My ride buddy had to bail on me at 40 and without many other riders on my route and having already had one flat I was not comfortable going it alone. I hit the 40 I did harder than usual and decided I will try to hit 80-90 next weekend.

When I know I am going to miss a workout or it has to be shortened I put forth extra effort on the shorter workout. Don't let this one ride mess with your head, you are going to be just fine.
2015-08-31 9:30 AM
in reply to: Brion11

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

All good advice above...plus, if you were having a hard time seeing in heavy rain, imagine how easily it would be for a car driver not to see you.  Not worth the safety risk.

2015-08-31 1:54 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
Kerikadi- I am doingr edman full. I'll see you in OKC! Good luck with the race

2015-09-01 3:04 PM
in reply to: #5137619

Thank you for your feedback!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Missed longest ride in training plan...now what? Rss Feed