Jefferson Academy Foundation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 3s
Overall Rank = 37/169
Age Group = 18+
Age Group Rank = 1/44
Pre-race routine:

Up at 7, had a cup of coffee and a peanut butter Clif Builder Bar. Left at 7:30 to get to the event by 8.
Event warmup:

Walked around to see the handfulof vendors, did some dynamic stretches, ran some steps, and jogged about 1/2 mile of the race route. Beautiful morning, although promising to get hot so I mostly sat in the shade and sipped my water. At about 8:20, I doused my hat and refilled my water bottle. National anthem at 8:25, and self-seeded line-up. After sizing up the participants, I moved close to the front. Air horn blew, and we were off.
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 3.17 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was a fundraiser for a school so there were lots of elementary-aged kids and their parents and a few serious runners. A bunch of the kids of course jumped out to the front and there was lots of "I'll see you at the finish." "Oh yeah? Well, I'll see YOU at the finish." The path was wide enough for 3 people and after we went down the big hill, I got stuck behind a dad, his son, and somebody else. I didn't want to be rude and go off the path around them, but they were going slower than I was so I finally did. There was a bit of an uphill about 3/4 mi. where I caught up to a dad who was really trying hard but already huffing and puffing. I gave him some encouragement, then passed him. By the first mile, most of the kids had pooped out, although there was one trio who were powering along pretty well. Shortly after I passed them, I heard the girl tell the two boys, "You go ahead, I'll see you at the finish." It was cool to see her running along with her 2 friends and I was sad to hear her pull up.

The water station was at the halfway point. The volunteers there were some high school girls, who giggled when I dumped my water on myself instead of drinking it. I could see one woman ahead of me by that point and I slowly reeled her in. We yoyo'd a bit, and I finally passed her around mi. 2.25. After that, I was on my own.

I'd been glancing at my watch and it looked like my pace was strong. I was feeling really good, breathing comfortably, and not hot or fatigued. By mi. 2, I was starting to think that maybe I'd place in the top 3 in my AG based on the other racers I'd seen at the start. At about mi. 2.8, I was starting to feel fatigued and was a little worried about going back up the big hill that we'd come down at the beginning. I hit the bottom and pushed myself to keep the pace and tempo up. Got to the top of the hill, headed across the parking lot and as I neared the finish, I saw my friend's 6 year-old son jumping up and down, cheering for me. That gave me a little extra boost and I finished strong. I had planned this as a training run and was thrilled that it went so well, especially considering that my previous few runs had felt lousy.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a great race and I felt really good.
Post race
Warm down:

My friend K and her husband met me at the finish line. I was breathing really hard and feeling pretty light-headed so I leaned on T for a moment, then they helped me over to the curb to sit down. I sat and recovered my breath and drank several glasses of water brought to me by their son and a volunteer. I chatted with K and T and met T's dad and stepmom who were helping that week while K goes through radiation and chemo. I couldn't hang around too long because I had choir rehearsal so as soon as I was recovered enough, I jogged to the car and went home. I wasn't able to stick around for the awards and was completely shocked to get a text from K telling me that I'd won my AG. I knew I'd done well, but I didn't know I'd done THAT well!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited running this summer due to knee problems. Despite that, I PR'd and had a great race.

Event comments:

Fundraiser for a local charter school. Lots of volunteers from the high school cross country team, as well as parents. Would have been nice to have had 2 water stations but given logistics, it was hard enough for them to get the water to 1 that 2 wouldn't have been feasible. Not much food or swag but all the entry fees were going to the school so I didn't mind.

Last updated: 2015-08-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:08 | 03.17 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/44
Overall: 37/169
Performance: Good
8:36 (what?!) 9.02 9.02
Course: Through Community College Open Space Park. Across parking lot onto path, down hill, counterclockwise loop, smaller counterclockwise loop, back up the hill and across the parking lot to the finish. Asphalt, rutted dirt, concrete, and crushed rock surfaces.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-08-30 6:42 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: Jag Jog

2015-08-31 1:34 PM
in reply to: #5137677

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Jag Jog

PR and 1st AG, wowza yowza, great job!  

2015-09-01 1:39 PM
in reply to: #5137677

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

WooHooooooo!!! PR and podium! Congrats!

I love watching kids race. They go out like they are being chased, then konk out, then go hard again.

2015-09-03 8:54 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Katy, Texas
Wow, you smoked it!!! Wish you could have stuck around to stand atop the podium. Huge congrats, I'm very happy for you!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jag Jog Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jingle Bell Jog

Started by snikpos
Views: 1901 Posts: 9

2005-12-04 6:18 AM snikpos

Jingle Jog

Started by tplauche
Views: 1071 Posts: 3

2004-12-12 7:44 PM G8RSAX

Jingle Jog

Started by atree
Views: 961 Posts: 3

2004-12-12 12:57 PM Shane

Jingle Jog

Started by Shane
Views: 945 Posts: 3

2004-12-11 6:25 PM zia_cyclist

Jingle Bell Jog

Started by snikpos
Views: 941 Posts: 4

2004-12-05 2:52 AM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.

date : March 20, 2007
author : dawnieruns
comments : 2
It's funny, there are so many people who hate even the thought of running, or even of jogging slowly! I can't imagine my life without it.
date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.

date : July 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions regarding wetsuit for a Sprint, Master's swimming, TI, aqua jogging, HIM fueling and salt, power meters and Tri vs Road bike.
date : March 5, 2006
author : acbadger
Once I can run again I'm thinking about keeping it in the training plan as a substitute for a few of my short runs. Has anyone else done this for their marathon training?