General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Won't somebody think of the children!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-31 9:56 AM

Subject: Won't somebody think of the children!!!
I couldn't resist the opportunity to use my favorite Helen Lovejoy quote from the Simpsons because.... my motivation for doing a tri was the birth of my twin boys in 2014. I want to be a dad that can keep up with them in sports for time to come. I also want to build a culture of activity in our family. What better way than to have them grow up with memories of going on vacations to watch daddy in races.

I did a century ride 9 years ago but otherwise have found endurance sports "not my thing" . This past weekend I did the Oakland Triathlon Sprint distance in advance of the TriRock San Diego Olympic in 3 weeks.

Endurance sports are now "my thing".

I hope to use this forum to learn more about improving my ability in each discipline, connect with my local community, and get ideas about other goals to achieve.

Thanks and looking forward to it.

2015-08-31 10:08 AM
in reply to: kstotes

Subject: RE: Won't somebody think of the children!!!
Good for you!! Keep at it, and they will definitely be better off for it.

My wife and I got a running stroller when our daughter was young and would take her to 5K events and run with her in it. Then we got a second stroller when my son was old enough to bounce around in one. As the kids got older, we would have them hop out and do the 100 yard, 500 yard, one mile kid runs before/after the 5K races. Nowadays we will actually go to specific kids races around town (our community has a six event kid's series of one milers - its awesome).

They have grown up seeing an active lifestyle and community setting around healthy living. Some of my favorite training runs now are the 1/2 mile and one milers I do with my daughter and son to warm up or cool down from my main run.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Won't somebody think of the children!!! Rss Feed