Endorphin Racing Events
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 46m
Overall Rank = 196/217
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

10 days before, I threw my neck out (bad) and was dealing with a nasty saddle sore. To add insult to injury, I came down with a head cold the Monday before the race. Thankfully with lots of Emergen-C, fluids and rest, the head cold cleared up. I saw the doctor for the saddle sore and he told me there wasn't anything he could really do for it that wouldn't take me out of the race other than antibiotics. So, for 10 days, I literally did hardly anything. I ran once- for 45 minutes.

I checked in the day before the race and set up my station. I went to church in Duluth at a really pretty church up on top of the hill..... Our Lady of the Rosary (I think?). I had pancakes and chicken sausage for dinner at Perkins and got mini waffles to go for breakfast in the morning.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn. I went to bed early, but slept terrible. I was so afraid of oversleeping.

I got up in the morning and attemped to eat my waffles and couldn't seem to stomach them.

We left the hotel for the event at 4:30 am.

Event warmup:

There is no way to do a swim warm up as you have to take a boat out into the bay.
Swim
  • 56m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Maybe a full sleeve suit? I don't know. This is a very challenging swim. I don't know how you can possible prepare yourself for the cold.
Overall, it really wasn't a bad swim for me considering all things. I am a pretty slow swimmer who on a good day averages 2:30-2:45 in open water.
Transition 1
  • 10m 57s
Comments:

I really took my time. I had a little vertigo coming out of the swim. This was expected. I used the bathroom and dried my feet really good. I ate a Honey Stinger and off I went.

Slow but I expected 9-10 minutes in this transition so not terrible.
Bike
  • 3h 43m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.04 mile/hr
Comments:

I had planned to drink 3 bottles on the bike and take endurolytes every hour. I drank 1.5 bottles and only took 1 set of endurolytes. I paid for this on the run later.

Drink and take my endurolytes!!
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

I took some endurolytes and a big gulp of water and threw my visor and race belt on. I also did a Hammer Gel and off I went.

I was happy with this transition.
Run
  • 2h 51m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 08s  min/mile

Should have drank more on the bike..........
Definitely should have taken in my endurolytes as planned.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank a bunch of water and had a team picture.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition

Event comments:

This is an awesome race. It is really well run and the volunteers are awesome. I just HATED that swim because of the cold cold cold water.

Last updated: 2015-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:26 | 2112 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/217
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless 2xu Wetsuit
Course: Time trial start. Every 5 seconds, an athlete jumps off the boat. The water is really really cold. I focused on trying to get my face in the water and was finally able to do so about 400 yards out. I really struggled with finding a rhythm and keeping it. I ended up breast stroking and side stroking alot more than I should have/or wanted too. The swimmers were very spread out. Every now and then I would get passed by someone and would draft off of them as long as I could hang on.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:43:26 | 56 miles | 15.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/217
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: We rode out to Two Harbors on the main 4 lane highway. Lots of breaks in the concrete and lots of traffic. On the way back, we took the scenic route, which was beautiful and new pavement. However, we had a pretty good head wind on the way back, which really zapped me.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:51:58 | 13.1 miles | 13m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 196/217
Performance:
Course: This was a double loop. I started out at a pace of 11:30 per mile, which was my plan. At around mile 8, I got very sad and emotional. I wasn't sure why. I drank a Pepsi. Then the calf cramps started. Sure wish I had done my nutrition right on the bike. If I had, I think I would have gotten in under 2:30. I ended up running a minute/walking a minute to keep the cramps away. It was really HOT. Lots of volunteers with ice, pretzels, pepsi and gatorade. It was really nice they stuck around for us back of the packers.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-08-31 12:17 PM

Subject: Superior Man Triathlon

2015-09-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #5137823

Subject: RE: Superior Man Triathlon
You are correct re: ear plugs. Cold water in the ear = vertigo. Always use them in cold water swims.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Superior Man Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Superior Spring 50k

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1063 Posts: 2

2015-05-18 11:40 AM brigby1

Superior Man Triathlon

Started by plalley
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 10:27 PM plalley

Superior Man Triathlon

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 1561 Posts: 4

2012-08-30 7:00 PM jackiep

Superior Man Triathlon

Started by DTraitor
Views: 1767 Posts: 5

2013-03-08 1:50 PM swenso

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon

Started by scm724
Views: 1535 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 8:58 AM scm724
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : May 30, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 5
All you have to do is say you’re a triathlete and you intimidate the whole world. No matter how much you bench press or what you lift or how many squats you can do.
date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 0
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.