General Discussion Race Reports! » 2015 Dick Evans Memorial Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2015 Dick Evans Memorial Road Race - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Outta Bounds Hawaii
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 45m 17s
Overall Rank = 26/110
Age Group = M19-49
Age Group Rank = 20/
Pre-race routine:

Not a good lead into the week. I was already overweight and the tropical storm passing below the state brought a shit ton of rain Mon-Wed that didn't allow me to ride. Did 40 minutes on the trainer and that was it. Had a pretty good ride Thursday, short spin Friday. Probably the dumbest idea ever was to help shovel gravel and dirt for 2 hours in the hot sun on Saturday as the Waimanalo back roads were washed out from all the rain but someone needed to help clean it up before the race. Spend way too much time on my feet on Saturday...and in the sun. Drank a ton of water, but whatever.
Event warmup:

30 miles of neutral section at a painfully slow pace. I knew we were in for a long day as it just meant we get to deal with 30 more minutes of sun.
Bike
  • 5h 45m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

We lucked out in that it wasn't pouring rain like it was earlier in the week nor was it insanely humid like it was last weekend. The trade winds meant we eat a headwind from North Shore to the finish but it kept things from getting insanely hot.

Neutral section was so slow. I can understand the areas where there was construction, but some of the "participants" in the back couldn't keep up and we constantly had to slow down for them so they could catch up. Normally the avg pace for the neutral is 18.5-20 mph...this year it was 16.5. It just meant that we spend more time in the sun.

Kunia was no problem. We had a group of about 50 that made it and I felt okay. I stayed near the back through Haleiwa towards Waimea and did not get caught up with the surges saving a lot of energy. Through North Shore there was a crash behind me. The sound of carbon hitting the ground just sends chills down your spine especially when the road we were on was extremely rough. I hear the guy had a severe concussion.

Pack was down to maybe 40 now and a few breaks kept trying to form. A few were shut down, but then one formed again as we came through Kaawa. It was a pretty decent break of about 6 guys and we had trouble getting organization. 8 of us were willing to rotate, but then it just died as the next guy in line tucked behind. We went through the process over and over again and it was getting a little frustrating.

I wasn't putting down huge efforts but I did notice my HR was really high. I drank a lot...I ate sufficiently...but it was so hot. Just before Temple Valley where the race really gets going I felt my hamstrings starting to pinch. I knew it wasn't going to happen today. Others were suffering too and I just let the pack go on that short climb after the aid station.

I tried to stay with another guy and we got caught at a stop light going onto Likelike as we were outside the police envelope. That's when Ben and Line caught up to us. I knew I couldn't stay with Ben and he took off so I decided to just pace with Line as she was the overall female leader at the time and nobody else was going to challenge her.

I dragged her over Mokapu, through Saddle Road, and to the base of Olomana. We picked up Jeff and Tino on the way but my plantar in my right foot started to act up and get really painful. Line started feeling better and she took some really big pulls from there to the finish where I was just trying to hang on and give her a few brief rests. Tino also helped but Jeff went up ahead.

I really wanted to just drop off through Waimanalo as my foot was killing me. I was so tired that it seemed like a huge effort just to push my shifter. The motto of this race is "race bravely." While it didn't turn out nearly how I had wanted to, I just sucked it up and gave what little I had.
What would you do differently?:

So many things. It's a laundry list of excuses but almost all of it was obvious and I have control over. Nobody to blame but myself.

Post race
Warm down:

Find shade. Helped break down and then went to the post race party at Lou's which was refreshing.

Last updated: 2015-08-31 12:00 AM
Biking
05:45:17 | 112 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-08-31 2:46 PM

User image

Subject: 2015 Dick Evans Memorial Road Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2015 Dick Evans Memorial Road Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2015 Pineapple Hill Road Race

Started by Jason N
Views: 1001 Posts: 2

2015-06-16 6:31 AM axteraa

2015 Pineapple Hill Sprint Road Race

Started by Jason N
Views: 1669 Posts: 6

2015-03-19 9:58 AM msteiner

Dick Evans Memorial Road Race

Started by Jason N
Views: 2039 Posts: 9

2014-09-03 6:05 PM dtoce

Started by tri808
Views: 1205 Posts: 1

2012-09-03 12:07 AM tri808

Started by tri808
Views: 1421 Posts: 2

2011-09-06 9:36 PM trix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.