General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hearing impairment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-01 1:49 AM

Subject: Hearing impairment

Recently I had a hearing evaluation test and my audiologist in Westside audiology, Calgary had suggested me to use a hearing aid. I need the most advanced and effective hidden hearing aids. What are the things to be considered before choosing a hearing aid?

2015-10-31 4:32 AM
in reply to: #5138002

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hearing impairment
Number one thing to consider is whether or not you think you need a hearing aid. I was born partially deaf and it has progressed to mostly deaf over time. I let a dr talk me into hearing aids about 20 years ago and I loathed them to the core of my being. I stopped wearing them after about six months (what a waste of money!) because there was just too much sensory input for me to handle. All of the sudden my world was filled with noise I'd never heard before (like birds), which was cool in its own way, but the trade off was increased distract ability and headaches from sensory overload. Before you drop a load of cash in some aids, I'd really consider whether you thing you are missing out on important things due to your loss/impairment.
2015-11-02 6:52 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Number one thing to consider is whether or not you think you need a hearing aid. I was born partially deaf and it has progressed to mostly deaf over time. I let a dr talk me into hearing aids about 20 years ago and I loathed them to the core of my being. I stopped wearing them after about six months (what a waste of money!) because there was just too much sensory input for me to handle. All of the sudden my world was filled with noise I'd never heard before (like birds), which was cool in its own way, but the trade off was increased distract ability and headaches from sensory overload. Before you drop a load of cash in some aids, I'd really consider whether you thing you are missing out on important things due to your loss/impairment.

That's an interesting take on hearing loss I'd never considered. I would have always thought I'd want to have sight or hearing restored immediately were I to lose one or both of them. Thinking back a bit, I remember my Grandfather used to turn his hearing aids down or off when he sat down to watch a baseball game in the afternoon. Made my Grandma batch*t crazy upset when he failed to respond to her every beck and call. Now I get it!
2015-11-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: #5149985

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
My hearing has decreased with age. Couldn't hear students in large classes and kids got tied of yelling to get my attention. I like my hearing aids, but I'm used to background noise. New aids can be adjusted so they amplify only the frequency you're deficient in. You might find them better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hearing impairment Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimmers Toe....Have you heard of this?

Started by debistoll
Views: 1775 Posts: 1

2012-03-22 1:52 PM debistoll

Prolotherapy?? Anyone heard/used it?

Started by irondog
Views: 2808 Posts: 6

2010-05-06 4:31 PM irondog

Ever heard of an occult fracture?

Started by TriDude2
Views: 5672 Posts: 8

2010-04-04 7:58 PM Socks

Can I hear a HOOT for physical therapy

Started by htide
Views: 646 Posts: 2

2007-08-17 1:33 PM aliclimb

Sustained High Hear Rate

Started by PeterAK
Views: 833 Posts: 5

2007-04-24 11:43 PM christian rope
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
I started the process with clippers on my chest. Halfway through the process I realized that this shaving plan was probably not the brightest idea I have ever had in my life.