Challenge
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 35m 27s
Overall Rank = 347/362
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 38/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 and started to suck down 4 cups of apple sauce, a gatorade, and a powerbar. On way to race, I knew it would be hot - so I tried to suck down another 22 oz. of water and another powerbar. 15 minutes before, I enjoyed a tasty gel. Sad to say - but this is where my race started to unravel. With an hour to go before the start - I was already hoping not to puke. Violating the rule of never trying anything new on race day is something that I always should following and next time I'm gonna stick with the oatmeal and blueberries. But I was so determined to break 7 hours that I followed the suggestions of my trainer to the T. It's not that the suggestions were bad - I just didn't practice them. Lesson learned.
Event warmup:

Not much. I got there late and didn't have any time to warm up or even jump in the water. I had to rush to get on my wet suit and wash out my goggles. I was just glad I managed to do that.
Swim
  • 46m 4s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Getting to the start so late really worked against me and it induced my first ever panic attack in the water. With no warm up the cold water hit me hard. The big waves really shook my confidence and the fact that I was racing in the ocean for the first time sent me over the edge. I was tempted to grab a kayak at the first buoy - but managed to take a few breaths. One of the life guards gave me some encouragement but it was really just the thought that in order to get out of the f%#*ing water, I needed to finish that got me to put my face in the water and go. I kept popping my head up to correct my course and my sighting was off. I was so eager to make it to the shore that I kept sticking my foot down to stand - which was almost comical since the water was in reality well over my head. I was thrilled to hit terra firma.
What would you do differently?:

1. Take advantage of the pre race swim.- lakes and oceans are not the same
2. Warm up in the ocean
3. Appreciate the beautiful sunrise. So pretty!

Transition 1
  • 07m 12s
Comments:

It was a long run - more than a quarter mile into T1. But I changed quickly and got going.

Need to practice transitioning standing up as sitting down eat up time.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a rough bike. Coming out of T1 - I really pushed my pace hoping to make up some time from the swim. I realized I had already probably cost myself a PR - but I just refused to quit. I figured that if I could just finish the last two segments faster then my goal I would have something to be proud of. So, I put my head down and pushed my speed. My first 5 miles I averaged 15.5 but then I averaged 16.5 for the next two segments. I was stoked about theat... But then my left calf really started to hurt. I don't think it was cramps - I was just sore from the hard workout I had done on Wednesday. But I kept pushing it. At mile 24 - I was about to go up the last big hill and my rear derailer malfunctioned - pushing my chain over my biggest rear ring. It got suck between the spokes and the rear cassette. I worked on it feverishly but I couldn't get the tire off and I couldn't pull the chain out. I actually gave up but decided to try again since there was no sag to help me and I managed to get it fixed. This took about 10 minutes and really set me back. My average for that segment was 10.2. Screw it - I'm gonna finish as hard as I can, so I averaged above 16.5 for all but one of my last 5 mile segments. What made this hard was the fact that I was reluctant to change gears for fear of having another problem. So, I ended up cranking hard (too hard) up the hills and didn't get the speed I could have on the downhills. But I didn't put that much thought into it. All I wanted to do was try as hard as I could and hope for the best on the run. During the last 5 miles, I did my hardest riding and was averaging above 18 which was some of my fastest biking ever. I even past two people. But my efforts would end up costing me on the run.

For the record - when you take off the 10 minutes I spent fixing my chain - my bike average was above 16.5 miles per hour which was my goal for the segment.

Also - the Hoyts were in the race (or at least Rick was). At one point - I just followed them for a few miles sucking in the inspiration.

1. Get my rear derailer fixed before the race
2. be more logical about my thinking. I was thinking that an all out effort would save my day rather then realizing that I was just setting myself up for a world of hurt.
3. Drink more on the bike. I tried hard but in the 84 degree heat - not hard enough
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I ran down the shoot to T2 at a pretty good clip - glad to have finished the bike. I again sat down to put on my shoes and I skipped changing socks.

Before heding off on the run - I hit a porta potty and finally peed which I had been trying to do on the bike for the last 40 miles of the bike. I had thought that my big peed meant I had done a good job of hydrating myself on the bike. I was wrong.

Do it standing up
Run
  • 3h 09m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This really is the tale of two races/halves. I headed out and I was feeling pretty good. I saw David Lesley, my doctor friend from Franciscan Hospital, who had come up to cheer us on. He had brought up some cold beers as incentive and I told him that even though I wasn't gonna break 7 - I was still gonna see if I could finish the marathon in less than 2:45 or 13 minutes per mile. I knew I needed to be concerned when I got going on the race course because I was having two to three Gatorades and water at each stop but I didn't have the urge to pee. I also took a salt tab at mile 1, 3, and 5. Yet I was still feeling good. I was running sub 13's. I ran the first 6 miles averaging around 12:30 and I was thinking that my pace would set me up well for the return to town. The wheels came off starting around mile 5 when I ran out into the sunlight and I felt immediately nauseous - or more so than I had been feeling. I managed to keep everything down and I just put my head down. Unfortunately - I chalked it up to my most recent salt tab and not dehydration so I didn't hit the fluids hard. At Mile 6, I knew I was in trouble because I started to get dizzy and I ran that mile in 14:08. But then, I had to run back out into the sun. I had been putting ice into my hat to try to keep heat away but there were no aid stations and there was nothing I could do when my hat ran dry but keep going. At the next station, I drank 4 drinks. But things kept getting worse and I had to stop to walk. I kept gagging and had to force myself to not throw up. That made drinking hard but I still did it. At mile 8 - I thought about walking the rest of the way because I felt so bad. Things kept getting worse - I had never felt so bad during a race when all of a sudden - Dave Lesley came running up the path. He walked with me and carried drinks for me so now I was getting 20-30 oz at each station. I couldn't eat any solids but I was able to get water and coke down (Gatorade made me queezy). We walked the big hill to mile 10 and then I just pushed myself to trot. The drinks were helping but I still felt like crap. I was averaging 15 minute miles and got passed by the Hoyts (no shame in that but it really just goes to show how slow I had gotten). I crossed the finish line and they had me sit down (in the sun - are you kidding me???) due to my dizziness. I tried to drink but it was tough. Here's how bad I felt - the idea of beer or the Lobster dinner made me want to puke. I ended up vomiting up about a gallon of water and it took almost the entire ride home to feel better (a huge thanks to Charles for driving home.

1. Not push so hard on bike.
2. Drink more on the bike and run
3. make sure cap stayed full of ice
4. Run a slower first half. Had I not been trying to gain time by running below my goal - I might not have run myself into the ground.

Post race
Warm down:

I just sat there trying to drink. I ran into a retired middle school teacher named Peter and it was great to talk to him - but I just didn't want to talk. All I wanted to do was not puke. Charles helped by getting my stuff into the car. A huge thanks to him!

In fact - after posting this - I saw my time slips from the race that Charles left for me. There was one from early on in my run that showed a projected finishing time of 6:49... So I had ridden/run into a time that would have accomplished my goal. That for me - makes all the difference especially when I factor in the 0 minutes lost on the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

dehydration and the bike crash two weeks prior.

Event comments:

This was a great race. If you're reading this and thinking should I sign up - the answer is Yes! I'd rather give my money to Rev #/Challenge anyway. Good people. Great course!

Last updated: 2015-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:04 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/39
Overall: 339/362
Performance: Bad
Suit: Carrie's Wetsuit
Course: Beach start. Swam out to buoy. Banged a left and swam past 4 buoys before banging another left and swimming to the beach
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:33:06 | 56 miles | 15.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/39
Overall: 39/362
Performance: Average
My heart rate was high for the first half of the race - around 135 - which means I was really pushing it. It dropped towards the end but I averaged 118 from the mid point to mile 45 - then it went up to 126 for the race to the finish line
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
03:09:13 | 13.1 miles | 14m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/39
Overall: 347/362
Performance: Bad
The first half, I was pushing 135. But once I started walking and trotting, my HR dropped to the 120's
Course: Beautiful course! Ran out of town up slow hills and then onto an amazingly flat bike and walking path that made up a little more than half of the course. The nice thing about it was that it was mostly shaded and the estuary that wasn't was incredibly beautiful to look at!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-01 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Challenge Maine - Half Course

2015-09-01 12:40 PM
in reply to: #5138016

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Challenge Maine - Half Course
Way to kick adversity in the a$$ and finish strong Dave!

And, glad you're ok. The signs of heat stroke/exhaustion are scary.
2015-09-02 3:07 PM
in reply to: #5138016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

The race was won the moment you started training for it! Finishing the race was just the icing on top of the cake.

Great job persevering despite having a myriad of problems.

2015-09-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
way to finish strong after a tough race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Maine - Half Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Challenge Maine - Half Course

Started by enichol8571
Views: 815 Posts: 1

2015-08-31 11:49 AM enichol8571

Challenge Maine - Half Course

Started by dougcasey
Views: 977 Posts: 1

2015-08-31 10:58 AM dougcasey

Challenge Quassy - Half Course

Started by Jayabusa
Views: 1124 Posts: 1

2015-06-12 2:19 AM Jayabusa

Started by Ned42
Views: 951 Posts: 1

2015-06-09 1:30 PM Ned42

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 1329 Posts: 8

2015-06-11 1:56 PM juniperjen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.