General Discussion Triathlon Talk » reasonable improvement on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-01 11:37 AM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: reasonable improvement on bike
For the last couple of years I've looked at hitting 23 mph for sprint/Olympic distance course as an ultimate goal and thought if I ever reach that point I'd be ecstatic. Well after 4 years of training I finally started training with power about 5 months ago, and I have finally gotten to that level. For the last couple years I hovered in the mid 22's range. I've done a certain 20 mile course periodically over the last few years and sort of use it as my guage. The last two times I rode the course I avg'd 23.1 and 23.4 mph for 20 miles, which I'm very excited about. So now I'm looking towards next tri season. My question is, with a good hard bike plan over the winter, do you think it would be a reasonable possibility to break 24 mph on that same course? I realize that there's not a huge difference between 23.4 and 24 mph, but I know that the faster you get the harder it is to improve. So I'm just wondering the likelihood.

2015-09-01 12:15 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: reasonable improvement on bike

Is it reasonably possible for you to increase your power output by ~5% or so over the winter?  Maybe get a bit more aero?  Have the wind blow in your favor?

2015-09-01 12:34 PM

User image

Oakville

I switched to power a few years ago and saw an increase in FTP but then it felt like I was plateauing and not making any more gains.

Joe Friel discussed a study that looked at short intensity vs long intensity workouts:

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2014/07/high-intensity-interval-duration.html

Based on this, I gave it a try and for the 8 week block before race season I would do 2 hard VO2 workouts a week and one threshold workout.

The VO2 workout was usually 3 sets of 13x30 seconds at 115% to 120% of FTP with 30 seconds rest.  

With no other significant changes to my bike or aero gear, my average race speed increased by just over 1 km/hr.

This is comparing the times for 6 Sprint bike courses to the same courses last year. 

2015-09-01 12:53 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

As the previous posters have alluded to, you'd be much better served monitoring changes in your critical power ( or FTP) over time versus speed on a particular course that is affected by many variables.  You have the ability to measure power (and spent the money on it) so you might as well get every bang for your buck that you can.  Good luck!

2015-09-01 2:11 PM

User image

Exton, PA
So how are your other disciplines?

You can spend a lot of time getting to that 24MPH mark but if your swim and run stink you not putting the time into the right discipline.

I just did an OLY this weekend and held 23MPH for the ride, only 2 people in my AG were faster on the bike; one negligible by 5 seconds and the other one had a 24.1mph avg. However I didn't podium because 11 guys in my AG beat me on the run which left me in 6th.

My point is I can easily get my bike up over 24 MPH avg, but to do it I don't have time to train the run and in the end it hurts my triathlon races to bike faster. Go for the low hanging fruit first.
2015-09-01 2:45 PM
in reply to: #5138115

nashville, Tennessee
My run is my strongest discipline while my swim is very weak. So I could make up lots of ground on my swim for sure.

2015-09-02 7:04 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by mchadcota2

My run is my strongest discipline while my swim is very weak. So I could make up lots of ground on my swim for sure.

You would be better off swimming 4 or 5 days a week in the off season(maybe getting a coach). from the sounds of it you maybe able to make up 5 to 10 minutes on the swim whereas that little jump in speed on the bike will only get you 1 or 2.
2015-09-02 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Is it reasonably possible for you to increase your power output by ~5% or so over the winter?  Maybe get a bit more aero? 

^ this

and you know what's really sad : given the circumstances of low volume and no access to coaching, the bulk of triathletes would probably get more out of getting aero than doubling their swimming. May the flaming begin :-) But the real answer is do both.

and to the OP, increasing power 5% does not mean getting 5% faster. The faster you go, the less you get from each incremental watt.

Edited by marcag 2015-09-02 9:03 AM
2015-09-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marcag

Is it reasonably possible for you to increase your power output by ~5% or so over the winter?  Maybe get a bit more aero? 

^ this

and you know what's really sad : given the circumstances of low volume and no access to coaching, the bulk of triathletes would probably get more out of getting aero than doubling their swimming. May the flaming begin :-) But the real answer is do both.

and to the OP, increasing power 5% does not mean getting 5% faster. The faster you go, the less you get from each incremental watt.

Your making the assumption he is not aero to start with, and we all know that without wind tunnel testing after a certain point we are chasing a white herring.
I'm going to make the assumption that if he is hold 23.5mph in an oly tri he is already reasonably aero and improving upon where he is may not happen.

Also if he could swim better he would have more energy for the bike and most likely be faster, so the real answer at this time is to work on his swim.
2015-09-02 10:21 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mike761

Originally posted by marcag

^ this

Your making the assumption he is not aero to start with, and we all know that without wind tunnel testing after a certain point we are chasing a white herring.
I'm going to make the assumption that if he is hold 23.5mph in an oly tri he is already reasonably aero and improving upon where he is may not happen.

Also if he could swim better he would have more energy for the bike and most likely be faster, so the real answer at this time is to work on his swim.

I said "the bulk of triathletes". Take the race pictures of an IM race and you can easily pick out big mistakes in 95% of the participants. If not 99%.
Second. You don't need a wind tunnel. A power meter will do just fine.
10 watts are much easier to find if you never tested than to add on when your FTP hits a certain point.

The topic was improving bike speed. If your solution to improving bike speed is swim more, that's an opinion, just not the same as mine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » reasonable improvement on bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Reasonable price for a bike fit?

Started by Brian W
Views: 1432 Posts: 6

2014-04-13 8:41 PM mcmanusclan5

Run improvement - is this a reasonable goal

Started by TrBeau17
Views: 2769 Posts: 24

2012-11-02 8:09 PM TrBeau17

Best Bike Trainer for reasonable money??

Started by CougarTri
Views: 4599 Posts: 10

2010-10-18 10:07 PM joker70

Power Improvement vs. Speed Improvement

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1045 Posts: 7

2010-08-12 3:57 PM docswim24

What are reasonable improvements to hope for?

Started by louiskie
Views: 888 Posts: 10

2009-10-29 3:24 PM louiskie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
Each week I see many triathletes who come to me for help in improving their swim. Although each athlete has developed his or her own way of swimming there are common threads within the technique flaws

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : October 21, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
How long will it take before I start seeing some improvements? I have only been swimming for about a week and can go a maximum of 75 to 100m freestyle before I have to stop or use another stroke.
date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.

date : January 19, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Which sport do you believe is easier to continually improve at: swimming, bicycling, or running? What makes you think this specific sport is easier to improve at?
date : December 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Spice up your training! Improve your VO2 max and threshold. If you are using this plan during the winter, you can start your specific training in the spring with a nice improvement in your speed.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?