General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri - Feedback on my outing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-02 9:19 AM

Subject: First Tri - Feedback on my outing
Hello all,
I'm brand new to the forum, and am excited to be part of the tri community. So far I have experience nothing but helpful individuals along the way, which has helped with the nerves. I've been a runner for a few years, but that's about all. Just started swimming this year, and biking as well (had to go buy a bike earlier this year).

I just competed in my first sprint tri (400m/13mi/5k). I'm curious to get some feedback from those that don't have to worry about hurting my feelings

The swim was a bit of a debacle, as i found myself in a pool logjammed behind many people who apparently registered for a faster time than they were. I finished the swim in 9:39.

T1 was a little jog to the transition area, totaling 2:13.

The bike route was terrible...very hilly, narrow and curvy the whole way out and back. I finished up in 47:31.

T2 was better, totaling 45 seconds.

The run was not good, as I felt pretty gassed by this point. Shooting for a 25 minute 5k, I came in at 27:06.

Total time was 1:27:16.

Any feedback is appreciated!

2015-09-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: First Tri - Feedback on my outing

It's your first tri. Relax. The big question is this: what did you learn?

2015-09-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Ha ha, fair enough. Just the competitor in me I guess...

I was able to feel better about the swim, and will be more confident in that next time. I learned I need to train much more on the bike. I learned to bring a 5 gallon bucket next time to sit on (a little tip i picked up from watching the experienced guys). And I learned that swimming in a 20 meter pool is much different than a 50 meter pool, and i can only imagine how much different it is than open water.

But i felt it was great experience at least, and am so excited i signed up for another sprint in two weeks!
2015-09-02 2:03 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Franklin, TN

Congrats on your first race! 

I remember my first one a couple of years ago.  I tried to put clothes on after the swim (futile) and wasted time putting cycling gloves on for an 11 mile bike....I had a lot to learn.  

My suggestions:

1. Forget the bucket...in a sprint race you don't have time to sit down.  Put a towel down, place your helmet, riding glasses, and bike shoes in front.  Put your running shoes (they should have quick laces) and race bib in back.  Don't overly complicate things.

2. I would compare my splits and transition times to those in my age group and overall to get a sense of what areas I need to improve.  For a new racer, it's probably everything but you'll get a sense of which areas need the most work.  It's hard to look at absolute times since course profiles and weather conditions will vary from race to race even though they may cover the same distance.

3. Remember, there's a run segment after the bike. More experience will give you a sense of how hard you can go on the bike and still run at a decent pace.  A look at the elevation profiles for the bike and run (and weather temps) will help you plan your pacing strategy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri - Feedback on my outing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First tri, First Post, First batch of questions :)

Started by Chris(NJ)
Views: 1422 Posts: 11

2011-07-29 8:41 AM japarker24

First Race Complete - Requesting feedback

Started by TXTriNewbie
Views: 1103 Posts: 8

2011-04-11 3:51 PM BigDH

First REAL bike outing!!!

Started by laurie2829
Views: 1151 Posts: 15

2009-11-04 12:40 PM laurie2829

First tri, looking for some feedback

Started by 98hogbay
Views: 955 Posts: 7

2008-07-18 8:31 AM McFuzz

First Olympic TRI (First TRI Period!!!!)

Started by satchmo72
Views: 1306 Posts: 12

2004-09-08 12:30 AM Tori
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.