General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling/Running is kicking butt. Swimming, notsomuch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-02 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: Cycling/Running is kicking butt. Swimming, notsomuch
Not looking for advice, but hey, this is BT, so I'm ready for whatever.

Cycling: Yesterday rode a 20 mile ride hard and averaged 22.4-22.5mph --- That's a huge deal for me. Last Thursday I rode a 52 mile course hard as well, it was 20.5mph, Sunday the same course as 52 miles, but only for 50. I did some hill sprints and some 2:00 pushes in there. Averaged I think 19.8 or 19.7 can't remember anymore. I'm very happy where my training is for a 70.3 I have on Oct. 4th...

Running: Some good runs lately. I had a 14 mile run at a 7:50 pace a week and a half ago. I wasn't even trying. just aimed at a slow to warm up, even paced first half, and then negative splitting final 7. This last Saturday I had a 15 mile run that I just tried to do slow and even, fell at 8:11 or something.

Swimming: I swam 1000yrds this morning. last swim was early June. Yeah. I feel ok, but am scared out of my mind...

my current problem is that I have a "sports hernia" and it does not hurt with running if i do not sprint, and doesn't hurt with cycling AT ALL. Swimming hurts a little, much worse if I push the pace. I tried taking a big stretch of time off from everything and it did absolutely nothing to help. Doctor says probably surgery. Sooner rather than later so it doesn't turn into an "actual" hernia.

my other problem is that I'm not currently training smart for a 70.3 because I'm just toying with volume as a way to see if I can handle training volume (schedule-wise) for IM Wisconsin next year. So far I think I'm totally able to fit it in. EXCEPT my only pool option closes for August. That won't be a great thing for an early September race. I really need to connect the garmin so you all can see my workouts...

Volume is currently ~150 miles of cycling, <35 miles running per week. Running is just all distance because of pain. No speedwork. Not happy with training this way, but I am getting faster, so there's that. Cycling includes a long ride, a medium ride with a bunch of intervals, and a shorter ride with shorter intervals.

So, as a topic for discussion... Have I appropriately compensated for crappy swim habits with running and cycling? At this point my plan is to swim at whatever leisurely pace happens. and then just kill it on the bike and run... Sound legit, or just plain stupid?

2015-09-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Cycling/Running is kicking butt. Swimming, notsomuch
This is my first 70.3, BTW
2015-09-02 9:45 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You're training 2 sports and racing 3.  Even the 2 you are training are going to suffer on race day because you have to swim first--not to mention the effect from any pain you might create from your injury while you are swimming.  Sounds like it has high potential to be a less than pleasant day.  Not sure what else to say. 

2015-09-02 9:48 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

You're training 2 sports and racing 3.  Even the 2 you are training are going to suffer on race day because you have to swim first--not to mention the effect from any pain you might create from your injury while you are swimming.  Sounds like it has high potential to be a less than pleasant day.  Not sure what else to say. 

I'm swimming now. I hope that I can make up some ground there in the next few weeks. But yeah, I feel what you are saying. Coming out of the water dead will definitely impact the rest. I know that from experience!
2015-09-02 10:23 AM

User image

Pro

What does your doctor say about doing the race with the hernia?  I've had 2 repaired and could have probably raced, but I don't know if yours is the same, where it is, etc.  I also don't know what the dangers are of making the hernia worse.....although with mine the doc seemed to suggest a fair amount of urgency because I am active.  If you haven't, you should probably get an opinion.

If he gives you the thumbs up them I don't see any issue with you finishing the race.  From the date it should be a wetsuit swim, yeah?  That's not a hard swim.

2015-09-02 10:29 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Left Brain

What does your doctor say about doing the race with the hernia?  I've had 2 repaired and could have probably raced, but I don't know if yours is the same, where it is, etc.  I also don't know what the dangers are of making the hernia worse.....although with mine the doc seemed to suggest a fair amount of urgency because I am active.  If you haven't, you should probably get an opinion.

If he gives you the thumbs up them I don't see any issue with you finishing the race.  From the date it should be a wetsuit swim, yeah?  That's not a hard swim.

He said that it doesn't seem severe enough to hold me back from training, so If I want to do the race then go ahead. He said that it will not likely get better on it's own. We worked out a deal that after the race I'd try doing NOTHING for a bit again. My doctor also knows that I'm hard headed and that only complete insistence on not racing would even make me think twice. This kind of hernia is like a small tear that doesn't (and hasn't) had any gut pushed through (does that make sense?) but because it's weakened it now runs the risk of becoming a bulging type hernia. lateral movements hurt, abdominal engagement also hurts sometimes.

Should be wetsuit legal. it's only 1.2 miles, right? I can just take a nap in aero if I'm tired, then be ready to go when feet hit the pavement. Sounds legit.

2015-09-02 12:15 PM

User image

Pro

Is this the race in Alton?

2015-09-02 12:25 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL

Yep, Border Wars Triathlon or something like that.
2015-09-02 12:36 PM

User image

What's your swimming background look like ? Prior to pool shutting down and long term.
2015-09-02 12:44 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

What's your swimming background look like ? Prior to pool shutting down and long term.

well, I swam an Oly in mid to late May and didn't push hard. I was feeling good at the time, and distance-wise it was NO problem at all. I hate swimming as it applies to proper training. I like swimming long swims at a slow pace. Doing a couple thousand yards at a 1:50-2:00 pace is more fun for me than a bunch of shorter sets. I know that's not the best method to get faster, so I try to mix in some shorter sets, but not every workout. currently working on getting the garmin attached to my tablet, then you can look at my most recent workouts.
2015-09-02 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I think i got it loaded! workout log should be up to date minus a handful of errors that I need to edit by hand. Today's swim, for example, had issues with distance tracking in the pool. I must have been swimming weird because it shorted me distance twice (once each on two 500 sets)

2015-09-02 1:09 PM

User image

Doing a couple thousand yards at a 1:50-2:00 pace is more fun for me

My take away is keeping doing this.  I am guessing the race is only 2 to 3 weeks out?  If you were a swimmer in your past life then maybe shorter harder sets if you could handle the load.  Without that background I don't think it will help as much and you are adding in the injury factor.  Plus if you enjoy the longer swims at that pace you are more likely to get in the pool and do them.  It sounds like you know what you need to do to not blow up the rest of your race.  Wish I had more for you. 

2015-09-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Doing a couple thousand yards at a 1:50-2:00 pace is more fun for me

My take away is keeping doing this.  I am guessing the race is only 2 to 3 weeks out?  If you were a swimmer in your past life then maybe shorter harder sets if you could handle the load.  Without that background I don't think it will help as much and you are adding in the injury factor.  Plus if you enjoy the longer swims at that pace you are more likely to get in the pool and do them.  It sounds like you know what you need to do to not blow up the rest of your race.  Wish I had more for you. 

That's what I'm gonna try. I will have a pretty good idea in about 2-3 weeks about how this will go.
2015-09-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Danno77

Yep, Border Wars Triathlon or something like that.

You'll have fun.....that's a great course for your first HIM and flat as a pancake. ....  also, the swim will not be near as crowded as most HIM's.

You will find that your bike and run training suit you well on that course.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-02 1:17 PM
2015-09-02 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would not worry about making up ground. Just do easy stuff that won't aggravate the injury, Long easy swims if they don't hurt, just to keep your feel for the water. I did an Olympic Tri a few years ago with bruised ribs and pretty major bruising down one side of my body (from a body-surfing wipeout). What matters is taking the swim easy enough so discomfort from it won't impact (or will minimally impact) your bike and run. I don't really know about hernias but with bruised ribs, what was actually hardest was random movements related to setting up and transitions--lifting the bike out of the car, racking, putting on a long-sleeved jersey for the bike (cool weather race), bending over to tie my shoes. That was much more painful than the actual swim, bike, and run. You might want to go through those ahead of time and think how you can modify them if needed, rather than do something out of habit in the heat of the race and then really suffer for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling/Running is kicking butt. Swimming, notsomuch Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crystal Lake OWS - BT kicked butt!

Started by hangloose
Views: 1857 Posts: 17

2007-07-17 12:04 PM mannyclow

Somebody kick my butt into gear

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 1111 Posts: 10

2007-03-02 6:04 PM go_sparkles

I need a kick in the butt

Started by trish123
Views: 877 Posts: 6

2005-07-18 1:40 PM David14

I'm getting my butt kicked from here to there

Started by dhlundblad
Views: 892 Posts: 12

2004-06-22 3:27 PM Angie

We kicked butt again

Started by sirsam16
Views: 659 Posts: 2

2004-04-05 4:30 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost

date : February 22, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on using the weekends for a long bike and run, good running cadence, Ironman swimming, importance of kick drills and swim cadence.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.