Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Iran nuclear agreement

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by morey000

I have seen nothing to make me trust Iran, other then to trust them when they say they want the destruction of Israel and will continue to support terrorism in the region.  So in my mind Iran is heading for the Bomb either way.  Or at the very least, they will stockpile conventional weapons from Russia and China or be a conduit for supplying those weapons to terrorist organizations hell bent on the destruction of Israel.  We are tied to Israel......they have been our staunch allies, and will always be.  I don't think we can walk out on that.  Soooooo.......no deal and let Israel deal with Iran with our support......or make the deal and still have to come to Israel's aid in a war that only escalates from here.  It's a no win situation with Iran.....they have said they want the destruction of Israel and there is no reason to believe they won't try to carry out that goal.  To that end, no, I don't want to negotiate with Iran.......in fact, fork them.  They are a major catalyst for the ongoing problems in the Middle East and will continue down that road.  Iran only wants peace on their terms.......and peace to them means the destruction of Israel and the US.  We just handed them a means to that end.  I was good with the sanctions and even ramping them up to a point where the people of Iran rise up and overthrow the lunatics who run that country now.

If you are my neighbor and you tell me that you want to kill my family, I don't hand you a shotgun.

Oh...and what would Reagan have done?  He would have supplied Iraq instead of attacking them. Unfortunately, we've blown that bridge up.

We don't trust them.  They don't trust us.  the agreement is not based on trust.  Some of their radicals say they intend to wipe Israel of the face of the earth.  Some of our radicals (i.e. many of our political leaders from the crazy party), say they want to bomb Iran.  Funny thing is- the guys doing the saber rattling on both sides... they ain't fighting and dying.  They're both just using it to gain political power by creating an enemy. (please- you're smart enough to see this)

Without a doubt they'll be building up their conventional forces.  Russia is already talking deals with Iran.  But- you must understand, that this is going to happen anyway.  Our European friends were doing good business with Iran until 2012 and enacted the sanctions to pressure Iran into this deal.  It worked.  they got the deal, once the nuclear program is dismantled, and we can prove it, the sanctions get lifted.  i.e- they got what they wanted, with or without the US, this is gonna' happen.   Plus, we have not taken our military option off of the table.  It's still there.  Except with the deal, we have a chance that they won't be developing nuclear weapons.  Without the deal... they're building a bomb.  I take the chance and go with the no-bomb opportunity.

One of the strong arguments that Kerry used with Iran was that, even if you do build a bomb... you can never use it.  The day you use it, is the day your country gets wiped off the earth.  You may be right- in that it's a no win situation. But without the deal, it's a definite lose.  With the deal- there's a chance at a more peaceful future.  it will take a decade or more, but opinions do evolve with time, and good leadership.  Rouhani is a moderate.  If he can cut a deal to open up his economy, he gains support with the moderates in Iran for building the economy.  The "$150B" in trade- yeah, some of it may go towards terrorism groups, but probably nothing compared to what the Saudi's have been tossing in.  Plus- they've got ISIS to fight and people to keep happy.  Rouhani wants to stay in power, and his base is not the hard liners- they are his adversaries.  So, he is motivated to make s work for his country.  Iranians are not monolithic evil doers.  But- they have a strong nationalistic spirit.  So- you want war?  just back them into a corner tight enough, and you'll have your war.

I don't think I'm buying much of that.  I'm definitely not buying the idea that a political party in this country is trying to gain power by creating an enemy......at least not with Iran.  They chose us.  We have been content to lead the charge for sanctions against them, and they were working.  I think you have it exactly backwards.....we didn't push Iran into a corner, they pushed us.  And our idea of getting out of that corner is to make a deal with the devil.  It's not saber rattling on their end when they are the major backer of Hamas and Hezbollah.  It is what it is, a constant push against our biggest ally in the region.....a push to eliminate them.

Obama is the only one using Iran for political "gain"......and he bullied his way to get enough support so his veto would not be overridden.  He owns this one alone.

Not exactly-He owns it with the rest of the entire WORLDS Superpowers.  Who, BTW, also think this is the best step forward.   Maybe we should resign ourselves to the facts that we're mostly just mediocre athletes and NOT completely versed in the intricate details of this agreement.  There are really, really smart people from across the globe who think this is a good preventative measure.  I'm inclined to believe them.  

But... if Iran falls out of line.  We have ways to fix that, too.  

I'm alright with that......but I'm not alright with Iran.  I suppose it's because I was in the Marine Corps when they took over our Embassy and our citizens hostage....I would have gladly went to war back then, for no political gain. 

It wasn't really my Father's or my Grandfather's Marine Corps though.......Carter made sure of that. 

COME ON, MAHN.   The Dudes got Cancer!! 

2015-09-11 10:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I have seen nothing to make me trust Iran, other then to trust them when they say they want the destruction of Israel and will continue to support terrorism in the region.  So in my mind Iran is heading for the Bomb either way.  Or at the very least, they will stockpile conventional weapons from Russia and China or be a conduit for supplying those weapons to terrorist organizations hell bent on the destruction of Israel.  We are tied to Israel......they have been our staunch allies, and will always be.  I don't think we can walk out on that.  Soooooo.......no deal and let Israel deal with Iran with our support......or make the deal and still have to come to Israel's aid in a war that only escalates from here.  It's a no win situation with Iran.....they have said they want the destruction of Israel and there is no reason to believe they won't try to carry out that goal.  To that end, no, I don't want to negotiate with Iran.......in fact, fork them.  They are a major catalyst for the ongoing problems in the Middle East and will continue down that road.  Iran only wants peace on their terms.......and peace to them means the destruction of Israel and the US.  We just handed them a means to that end.  I was good with the sanctions and even ramping them up to a point where the people of Iran rise up and overthrow the lunatics who run that country now.

If you are my neighbor and you tell me that you want to kill my family, I don't hand you a shotgun.

Oh...and what would Reagan have done?  He would have supplied Iraq instead of attacking them. Unfortunately, we've blown that bridge up.

We don't trust them.  They don't trust us.  the agreement is not based on trust.  Some of their radicals say they intend to wipe Israel of the face of the earth.  Some of our radicals (i.e. many of our political leaders from the crazy party), say they want to bomb Iran.  Funny thing is- the guys doing the saber rattling on both sides... they ain't fighting and dying.  They're both just using it to gain political power by creating an enemy. (please- you're smart enough to see this)

Without a doubt they'll be building up their conventional forces.  Russia is already talking deals with Iran.  But- you must understand, that this is going to happen anyway.  Our European friends were doing good business with Iran until 2012 and enacted the sanctions to pressure Iran into this deal.  It worked.  they got the deal, once the nuclear program is dismantled, and we can prove it, the sanctions get lifted.  i.e- they got what they wanted, with or without the US, this is gonna' happen.   Plus, we have not taken our military option off of the table.  It's still there.  Except with the deal, we have a chance that they won't be developing nuclear weapons.  Without the deal... they're building a bomb.  I take the chance and go with the no-bomb opportunity.

One of the strong arguments that Kerry used with Iran was that, even if you do build a bomb... you can never use it.  The day you use it, is the day your country gets wiped off the earth.  You may be right- in that it's a no win situation. But without the deal, it's a definite lose.  With the deal- there's a chance at a more peaceful future.  it will take a decade or more, but opinions do evolve with time, and good leadership.  Rouhani is a moderate.  If he can cut a deal to open up his economy, he gains support with the moderates in Iran for building the economy.  The "$150B" in trade- yeah, some of it may go towards terrorism groups, but probably nothing compared to what the Saudi's have been tossing in.  Plus- they've got ISIS to fight and people to keep happy.  Rouhani wants to stay in power, and his base is not the hard liners- they are his adversaries.  So, he is motivated to make s work for his country.  Iranians are not monolithic evil doers.  But- they have a strong nationalistic spirit.  So- you want war?  just back them into a corner tight enough, and you'll have your war.

I don't think I'm buying much of that.  I'm definitely not buying the idea that a political party in this country is trying to gain power by creating an enemy......at least not with Iran.  They chose us.  We have been content to lead the charge for sanctions against them, and they were working.  I think you have it exactly backwards.....we didn't push Iran into a corner, they pushed us.  And our idea of getting out of that corner is to make a deal with the devil.  It's not saber rattling on their end when they are the major backer of Hamas and Hezbollah.  It is what it is, a constant push against our biggest ally in the region.....a push to eliminate them.

Obama is the only one using Iran for political "gain"......and he bullied his way to get enough support so his veto would not be overridden.  He owns this one alone.

Not exactly-He owns it with the rest of the entire WORLDS Superpowers.  Who, BTW, also think this is the best step forward.   Maybe we should resign ourselves to the facts that we're mostly just mediocre athletes and NOT completely versed in the intricate details of this agreement.  There are really, really smart people from across the globe who think this is a good preventative measure.  I'm inclined to believe them.  

I'm alright with that......but I'm not alright with Iran.  I suppose it's because I was in the Marine Corps when they took over our Embassy and our citizens hostage....I would have gladly went to war back then, for no political gain. 

It wasn't really my Father's or my Grandfather's Marine Corps though.......Carter made sure of that. 

I hope he beats it.....I hate Cancer more than I hate Iran.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-11 10:12 PM
2015-09-11 11:28 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I hope he beats it.....I hate Cancer more than I hate Iran.

Amen to that, Brother.

2015-09-12 9:06 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

Master
, California

I dunno, politicians come and go.  The Marines have been through times of great support, and not so much.  But I don't think much has changed in those serving.  The brotherhood, the determination and willingness to give it their all, even if the odds are stacked against them...

2015-09-12 9:16 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by spudone

I dunno, politicians come and go.  The Marines and all branches of our military have been through times of great support, and not so much.  But I don't think much has changed in those serving.  The brotherhood, the determination and willingness to give it their all, even if the odds are stacked against them...

Sorry, but I just HAD to fix that.   They all put their lives in harm way.  

2015-09-12 9:52 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

I dunno, politicians come and go.  The Marines and all branches of our military have been through times of great support, and not so much.  But I don't think much has changed in those serving.  The brotherhood, the determination and willingness to give it their all, even if the odds are stacked against them...

Absolutely!

2015-09-13 11:30 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
, California

Absolutely!

Yes I agree 100%!

2015-09-13 8:49 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Back to the Original Topic...

Why don't Repubs 'get it' that Dick Cheney should not now, nor EVER speak publicly about his opinions on this deal or, frankly, his opinion on anything???

(I often wonder how many rich, old, white dudes have the hearts of captured Al-Qaeda soldiers beating inside them?  But that's another topic)

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Iran nuclear agreement Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Nuclear Option

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 1988 Posts: 19

2013-11-25 11:34 AM mr2tony