DuTriRun
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 19m
Overall Rank = 363/1081
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 47/140
Pre-race routine:

Ate a couple of chocolate donuts and a bottle of Gatorade.

Packed up the car and checked out of the hotel.

The drive to the race took longer than expected.
Event warmup:

No time due to a bent stem on the front tire. I was able to bend it back so that it could be inflated.
Bike
  • 4h 19m
  • 90 miles
  • 20.85 mile/hr
Comments:

The race started well by staying at the front of the wave and not getting caught behind any slower riders. The first was with the wind and with the group around me, the miles passed quickly. It was going well until the climb at High Cliff. Unfortunate, at the top of the first hill I flatted and lost contact with the group. For the rest of the ride, I was by myself and with the bigger gap between waves this year, I was still in front of the wave behind me. To make things worse as we turned back south it was into a stiff wind that would be there the rest of the ride.
What would you do differently?:

Check tire condition prior to a race. In this case, there was a slight cut in the tire that left the tube exposed and I was lucky to only have the one flat.

On hot days, I need to make sure that I am drinking enough water. In the past on cooler days, I was able to get by on just Gatorade; but on the hotter day there needs to be more water.
Post race
Warm down:

Unfortunately, once I stopped I cramped up badly and had to lay down on the closest grass in the shade. I remained in that position for some time until cramping got better and the lighted headedness also improved. During this time, I did happen to run into my cousin and I was able to talk with someone to make sure that I was good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The flat tire was the limiting factor since it caused me to have to ride alone for the final 45 miles, into the wind.

Last updated: 2015-08-04 12:00 AM
Biking
04:19:00 | 90 miles | 20.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/140
Overall: 363/1081
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The first half of the course is flat and a good warm-up. The second half starting with the climb at High Cliff is more rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-02 9:37 PM

Subject: Ganther Race the Lake
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ganther Race the Lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ganther Race the Lake

Started by mbartman
Views: 701 Posts: 1

2014-08-19 7:46 PM mbartman

Ganther Race the Lake

Started by mbartman
Views: 793 Posts: 1

2013-08-19 9:51 PM mbartman

Lake Run Club Circuit Race #7 - The Lake Run

Started by laurarunz
Views: 1042 Posts: 1

2006-07-06 12:34 AM laurarunz

Salem Lake 10k Trail Race

Started by jkbostic
Views: 1340 Posts: 8

2005-09-28 2:21 AM snikpos

Y-TRI @ Randolph Lake B-Race

Started by jmf-tt
Views: 985 Posts: 5

2005-07-18 6:39 PM jmf-tt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.