General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Progressive overload question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-03 11:21 AM

Subject: Progressive overload question
I understand that progressive overload is introducing the body to longer/faster intervals and the body adapting. Just want some clarification about using time as a measure of intervals.

If I repeat the same workout in terms of time intervals - i.e. 3x10 mins at 85%, I'll go faster (more power) in each interval week on week. This obviously shows the body adapting and getting fitter. But is this progressive overload? Is the higher output week on week the overload or do I need to make the intervals longer each week?

2015-09-03 11:22 AM
in reply to: #5138589

Subject: RE: Progressive overload question
I use time as the example, as if it was distance intervals, then I understand that by getting quicker over that distance, over time you'll be doing less work at that intensity - hence the need to add another interval.
2015-09-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: KETri

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Sort of.

Think of training load as duration x intensity.  In your example, you're applying roughly the same training load in both workouts (total of 30 minutes at 85%), assuming that you haven't reset the threshold that you're basing the 85% on.  I'm putting that caveat on my answer, because if you're talking about training with power, and between the sessions you retest your Functional Threshold Power (FTP), find it increased, then do the next session at 85% of the new FTP, then you're applying a greater training stress (load) in the second session, so you've progressed.  The other factors that come into play are fatigue, environmental conditions, and life stresses.  If you're more fatigued, it's hot & humid, or you're stressed by work or family issues, the session can be more stressful than if these influences weren't present.

In any event, repeating the same sessions over and over quickly leads to stagnation, even if you're adjusting them slightly.  Instead, only repeat a session a couple times over a period of a few weeks, then adjust your program.  This has the dual benefit of achieving a greater rate of improvements and avoiding boredom.

2015-09-03 12:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

It's adding more stress by increasing duration and/or increasing the output. What you continually add the "more" to depends on what aspect of fitness you want to stress.

2015-09-03 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Another way to progressively overload is to change either the duration or intensity of the intervals week to week. Then rest/retest. Such as:
To start with your example of 3 x 10 at 85%

Week 1: 3 x 10 at 85%
Week 2: 2 x 15 , 1 x 10 at 85%
Week 3: 3 x 15 at 85%

You can throw in another progressively harder week here or you can rest and retest. This is just an example of course. You can play with the intensity too.

2015-09-03 2:16 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I would also argue that people keep to narrow of a focus with progressive overload.

For example...

In a build of say 14-21 days you could do the exact same workout, such as.......20x100's leaving on 1:40, or 3x20 @245w on 5' easy recovery between.

They are the exact same workouts, so could they be described as progressive overload? Not from only looking at the training metrics, but if you perform 1 on day 2 of your block, 2 on day 10, and the last workout on day 14, then I would argue it is. Why? You are going to be training in a deeper state of fatigue, so you have more external stress on the body each workout.

The stress doesn't just come from within the workout, its what surrounds the workout too.

In the very basic sense, repetition is great in workouts, if they get/feel easier it shows that you are adapting.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Progressive overload question Rss Feed