General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life expectancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-03 1:53 PM

User image

Subject: Life expectancy
I seem to be getting thru pairs of swim goggles. Its the same issue, leaking right lens.
I've not been buying particularly cheap and I've used Zoggs and Speedos.
Is this usual?

2015-09-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

Subject: RE: Life expectancy

How often do you go through them?  The fact it's the same side seems odd.  I haven't trashed a pair of goggles for leaking in a long time.  Probably since switching to Swedes in HS.  It used to be the foam gasket on older goggles that would leak.   Swedes seal right to your eye socket and the speedos (speed sockets) I wear now have a harder plastic gasket seal which haven't leaked on me.   

I might go through 2-3 pairs a year if I'm just wearing the speedos.  That's more from the lens fogging and getting scratched.  Swedes seems to last a few years if I don't loose or give them away.

2015-09-03 3:12 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

How often do you go through them?  The fact it's the same side seems odd.  I haven't trashed a pair of goggles for leaking in a long time.  Probably since switching to Swedes in HS.  It used to be the foam gasket on older goggles that would leak.   Swedes seal right to your eye socket and the speedos (speed sockets) I wear now have a harder plastic gasket seal which haven't leaked on me.   

I might go through 2-3 pairs a year if I'm just wearing the speedos.  That's more from the lens fogging and getting scratched.  Swedes seems to last a few years if I don't loose or give them away.

I heard this on every single post of goggles when I started looking on the forum, but I dismissed it because foam gaskets and suction cups over the eyeballs are what I've used since an early age for playing in water. It's what scuba divers use on their big face masks, and if they leak you just crank those suckers tighter. SO, they surely are the best of the best! right?

Then I bought some TYR Socket Rockets because they were dirt cheap and I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

They last longer and work better (for me) and at a fraction of the cost. I can have multiple colors and mirrored finishes and even then come out ahead money-wise. every once in a while my nose strap will snap and i grab some of the extra headstrap and cut a little piece off, and bam, that's fixed, too! (I always opt for rubber instead of solid string nose-piece)

I'll never go back.

As far as problems with sealing on ANY goggles, though, I have found that before I get in the pool. Soap and water to the eye socket area helps tremendously. While a slick oily finish may seem like a great surface to stick to, this hasn't been true for me. Always does the trick for my son (on swim team) and wife (triathlete) too, so I'm thinking it must be a "thing" even though I don't read about it here much.

another thing I noticed on my wife's goggles is that the rubber gets cloudy, presumably from water deposits and skin gunk. I figured that was deterioration of the rubber until I took an old toothbrush and some Dawn to the rubber. Suddenly it was crystal clear again and helped make a better seal (she said). Also worked great for getting eye makeup out of the lense crevasses, too.
2015-09-03 3:26 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro

Speedo polarized speed sockets.  Rnse and dry after use and don't leave them in a bag in s hot car all day.  Near daily use, chlorine and fresh water,  starting year 2.  They are pricey.....you can  find them for about 40.00 if you search around.  GREAT for open water swims.

(speedo1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
speedo1.jpg (26KB - 5 downloads)
2015-09-03 3:38 PM

User image

I've used 4pairs in 8 months of swimming. I'm new to the discipline, and put it down to wear and tear - I swim twice a week. But it just started to seem excessive.
2015-09-03 4:25 PM

User image

Originally posted by Shakeybear

I've used 4pairs in 8 months of swimming. I'm new to the discipline, and put it down to wear and tear - I swim twice a week. But it just started to seem excessive.
That seems like a lot. Maybe it's the way you're taking them on and off.

2015-09-03 4:27 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Speedo polarized speed sockets.  Rnse and dry after use and don't leave them in a bag in s hot car all day.  Near daily use, chlorine and fresh water,  starting year 2.  They are pricey.....you can  find them for about 40.00 if you search around.  GREAT for open water swims.

I get the regular speed sockets for around 20 on sale at swimoutlet. 40 is a hit for goggles !
2015-09-04 6:51 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Swedes!!

Online they are about $3 a pair. I usually lose them before they wear out or cloud up. Just lost a pair in the surf last weekend, I was using them for about a year.
2015-09-04 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I thought this thread was going to be about something else, then again I'm 62....

As far as goggles go, I've been using TYR Stealth polarized goggles and they have held up pretty well.  

Was recently reminded by our head coach that our  swim team is sponsored by Speedo and was encouraged to switch to Speedo goggles, particularly when swimming in meets.  Guess I'll have to try some out.

Mark

2015-09-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

New Zoggs purchased today.
I hope Mrs Bear never finds out what I spend on this sport!!!
2015-09-04 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Shakeybear

New Zoggs purchased today.
I hope Mrs Bear never finds out what I spend on this sport!!!

I just got Mrs. into the sport and now she doesn't complain!

Costs two times as much and planning can be hard, BUT oh well!

2015-09-04 11:06 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Shakeybear New Zoggs purchased today. I hope Mrs Bear never finds out what I spend on this sport!!!

When you hit 5 figures in one year, and it starts with a 2, call me and we'll talk...no, I'm not kidding. It doesn't always start with a 2, but it's ALWAYS 5 figures.

2015-09-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Tyr has always fit my eyes better than Speedo... I can have that problem with a new pair of Speedo goggles on day 1.  (And I'm not against Speedo... some people may be the opposite).  But try another brand and see what works.

Indoor I use Tyr Tracer, outdoor the Spec Ops 2.0 is IMO the most comfortable for distance racing, by far.

Wear and tear... the Tracer I'll replace every couple seasons.  Spec Ops I don't use as often so it's more a matter of when I lose them.  Oh btw, avoid socket rockets outdoors... it's not fun to get smacked in the face with those on.

Edited by spudone 2015-09-04 12:03 PM
2015-09-04 12:34 PM

User image

Exton, PA

Originally posted by Shakeybear New Zoggs purchased today. I hope Mrs Bear never finds out what I spend on this sport!!!

When you hit 5 figures in one year, and it starts with a 2, call me and we'll talk...no, I'm not kidding. It doesn't always start with a 2, but it's ALWAYS 5 figures.

Will you adopt me!
2015-09-04 12:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761

Will you adopt me!

No, you're not fast enough.

I'd still have to pay for your college.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-04 12:42 PM
2015-09-04 3:49 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Goodness I should've been using these all summer OW swims
Been fussing with leaky 16mo. old Aquasphere Kaiman's for a while now

Edited by TJHammer 2015-09-04 3:50 PM

2015-09-04 4:48 PM

User image

To be very honest I've picked up more than just a couple of pairs of Zoggs this last 8 months, but you win.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Life expectancy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Life expectancy of orthotics

Started by moabrunner
Views: 3436 Posts: 12

2009-03-19 8:40 PM TriMike

Wetsuit Life Expectancy

Started by cadmus
Views: 1510 Posts: 2

2008-06-04 4:45 PM rottieguy

TIre life expectancy - is there a range?

Started by cobannero
Views: 3188 Posts: 10

2007-03-15 2:04 PM Rogillio

Balance in life

Started by Aikane
Views: 939 Posts: 6

2004-12-24 10:05 PM trilover

Life guard's rude comment

Started by kepola
Views: 794 Posts: 7

2004-11-18 7:04 PM Aikane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!

date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.
date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.
date : September 2, 2004
Sometimes life just isn’t fair! We all have situations come up from time to time that test our dedication to triathlon training.

date : September 2, 2004
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.