of 40

2015-09-08 1:29 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Trump

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mdg2003 Trump / Cruz 2016?

I like Carson more than I like Trump, but he'd never be a #2, so I have to go for Trump/Carson.

Haven't heard a lot about Carson. What I have heard, I like. I'd have to research him a bit further before saying I would would or wouldn't vote for him. I want to keep Cruz in the Senate for a little more "seasoning." Trump still scares me. I like a lot of what he is saying, but there is still a lot of unknown quantity concerning his fiscal policy. The media has tried to destroy him, but he keeps gaining ground and support. I'm in the wait and see camp. Sadly, the decision will probably be made for me before the primaries reach Texas, again...

Texas' primary is falling on March 1, 2016, which is earlier than in the past couple election cycles.  There are only a handful of primaries/caucus prior to Texas.  With 155 delegates in the GOP primary (250 for the Dems), Texas is a really large prize.  I suspect there will be much more campaigning for votes, as opposed to just money, this year in Texas.

2015-09-08 2:27 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Hook'em

I like Carson more than I like Trump, but he'd never be a #2, so I have to go for Trump/Carson.

Haven't heard a lot about Carson. What I have heard, I like. I'd have to research him a bit further before saying I would would or wouldn't vote for him. I want to keep Cruz in the Senate for a little more "seasoning." Trump still scares me. I like a lot of what he is saying, but there is still a lot of unknown quantity concerning his fiscal policy. The media has tried to destroy him, but he keeps gaining ground and support. I'm in the wait and see camp. Sadly, the decision will probably be made for me before the primaries reach Texas, again...

Texas' primary is falling on March 1, 2016, which is earlier than in the past couple election cycles.  There are only a handful of primaries/caucus prior to Texas.  With 155 delegates in the GOP primary (250 for the Dems), Texas is a really large prize.  I suspect there will be much more campaigning for votes, as opposed to just money, this year in Texas.

Did not know that. Thanks!
2015-09-08 2:44 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I too have a few reservations on Trump, but I have another indicator that I always use as well.  Whoever the media is pushing for is the last person I want to get the nomination and whoever they hate is typically somebody I'm going to give a good long look at.  

2015-09-08 2:49 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

Nebraska is in May 2016 so it's historically always been done by the time it gets to us.  

2015-09-08 5:19 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by jeffnboise

This is a serious world and it requires serious thinkers. 

I can't believe people are even talking about Trump.

Serious thinkers like Obama and Clinton?

A person supporting the party that once ran Sarah Palin out as a VP candidate should be prohibited from questioning the intelligence of any other parties' candidate for any other political office for 100 years, at least.

lol, had to play the Palin card.  I'm just glad that you don't disagree about Obama.  ;-)

I know you're not a fan of higher education, and you're never too specific about what your standards are, exactly, when it comes to what "smart" is, but its tough for anyone who isn't completely biased to the point of being unreasonable to argue with either Obama's or Clinton's academic qualifications.

I'm a huge fan of higher education, so I'm not sure where you got that from (two kids in college right now).  I'm not a huge fan of "academics" who have no real world experience that try to create policy/laws that are not based in reality.  Obama's academically very smart, but real world experience he's an absolute idiot.  Hillary falls into the same camp.

As for whom I feel is best qualified to run for public office is anyone who has real world experience managing a business and making a payroll.  The less "academic experience" the better and the less political experience the better.  In the beginning I was a Palin fan because of her complete lack of political experience.  She was an outsider and seemed to have the moxy to stand up to the system.  It didn't take long for her to get sucked into the Tea Party machine, so my affection waned as she became more and more a part of the "political system". 

Obviously being "intelligent" is important to be President, but I want people that are intelligent in the right areas.  Hope that makes sense.

Then how do you explain your affinity for Ted Cruz, whom you've been a staunch supporter of for the last couple of years and who you've said was one of your preferred GOP candidates for president? He's the absolute antithesis of what you're describing--a guy who set out to be a politician from the beginning, got degrees from both Princeton and Harvard and who has no "real world experience managing a business and making a payroll". If I didn't know better, I'd say maybe there was a teeny tiny bit of a double standard at work here....

I I Just saw a poll over the weekend that he had over 25% support from the Democrat African American community which is absolutely unheard of.

Yeah, it's interesting--apparently there's a certain amount of animosity between the African-American electorate and the Hispanic electorate, and in the past, politicians have been successful at courting one by alienating the other. From some of the things I've been reading lately, that's some of what's been happening with Trump.
2015-09-10 7:33 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I also forgot to add that my appeal towards Trump is that he more closely fits my ideal of a candidate qualification wise and there's no question that he is sticking it to the system which I love more than anything.  He wasn't in the picture back when Rand and Ted were making waves.

I know everyone keeps bashing on him for being direct, crazy, un-presidential, or whatever but that's what appeals to me and I think that's what's appealing to the rest of the country.  I Just saw a poll over the weekend that he had over 25% support from the Democrat African American community which is absolutely unheard of.  Sure, there are things I don't like about him, but if there's ever been a candidate who had the moxie to fix the fiscal mess in Washington it's Trump and that's my number one issue by a mile.

I totally get the idea of finding a person who's outside the system, but do you honestly see Trump as someone who would be effective as President of the United States? Trump is a deal-maker. That's what real-estate is about. He's not a finance guy or even a self-made guy. Just because he's been at the helm of a successful company bearing his name (which he inherited) doesn't mean that he's ever been personally in charge of the P&L. Even if you are of the opinion that the US needs to be run like a buisiness, are you sure that, other than the fact that he's really rich, Trump has the financial/fiscal experience to do so? There's no question that a lot of his success over the past three decades is largely the result of trading on his name and his personality, which isn't going to mean squat in terms of improiving the economy or in international relations.

I dunno. He feels to me like a person who's going to say whatever he needs to say to get elected, and then, who knows what we'll get? Honestly, he could end up being much, much more liberal than he's currently letting on. I thought his comment yesterday about the Syrian refugees was interesting, and I know it got a lot of bad press among the Neocons. (He said, that he "Hates the idea" of allowing the Syrian refugees into the US, but that, from a humanitarian POV, "you have to do it").

I detest Ted Cruz. I'll gladly admit that. He sort of disgusts me, honestly. But I think he's incredibly smart, very, very shrewd, and probably understands the inner workings of the government better than anyone alive. I think his moral compass is broken, assuming it ever existed in the first place, and I wouldn't for a minute trust him with that much power, but I can't argue that he's not "qualified" to be president, whatever that means.

2015-09-10 9:32 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I also forgot to add that my appeal towards Trump is that he more closely fits my ideal of a candidate qualification wise and there's no question that he is sticking it to the system which I love more than anything.  He wasn't in the picture back when Rand and Ted were making waves.

I know everyone keeps bashing on him for being direct, crazy, un-presidential, or whatever but that's what appeals to me and I think that's what's appealing to the rest of the country.  I Just saw a poll over the weekend that he had over 25% support from the Democrat African American community which is absolutely unheard of.  Sure, there are things I don't like about him, but if there's ever been a candidate who had the moxie to fix the fiscal mess in Washington it's Trump and that's my number one issue by a mile.

I totally get the idea of finding a person who's outside the system, but do you honestly see Trump as someone who would be effective as President of the United States? Trump is a deal-maker. That's what real-estate is about. He's not a finance guy or even a self-made guy. Just because he's been at the helm of a successful company bearing his name (which he inherited) doesn't mean that he's ever been personally in charge of the P&L. Even if you are of the opinion that the US needs to be run like a buisiness, are you sure that, other than the fact that he's really rich, Trump has the financial/fiscal experience to do so? There's no question that a lot of his success over the past three decades is largely the result of trading on his name and his personality, which isn't going to mean squat in terms of improiving the economy or in international relations. I dunno. He feels to me like a person who's going to say whatever he needs to say to get elected, and then, who knows what we'll get? Honestly, he could end up being much, much more liberal than he's currently letting on. I thought his comment yesterday about the Syrian refugees was interesting, and I know it got a lot of bad press among the Neocons. (He said, that he "Hates the idea" of allowing the Syrian refugees into the US, but that, from a humanitarian POV, "you have to do it"). I detest Ted Cruz. I'll gladly admit that. He sort of disgusts me, honestly. But I think he's incredibly smart, very, very shrewd, and probably understands the inner workings of the government better than anyone alive. I think his moral compass is broken, assuming it ever existed in the first place, and I wouldn't for a minute trust him with that much power, but I can't argue that he's not "qualified" to be president, whatever that means.

You could absolutely be right on Trump in every way.  My problem is I have to look at candidates in comparison to other candidates.  When I see people like Hillary and Bush I get nauseous because I know that the only people they care about are the corporate and political folks that put them in office.  I know they say they care about America, but they do everything in their power to make it worse off financially by spending like drunk sailors.
They come up with things like the bail out and the ACA to give Billions/Trillions of dollars for their buddies at our expense.  They then convince us that it's for the people and to help the people, but I disagree.  The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is the special interests they spend Billions of dollars wastefully with.

With a guy like Trump, he's first off not beholden to the traditional lobbyists and special interests.  I'm not naive in that I don't think he has people and things he cares about financially, but he'll be far less beholden to them than any candidate in our lifetimes.
I do think he'll be more liberal when he gets into office than many republicans think, but honestly that's a good thing.  No matter what people like to think we have half the country that lean liberal and half the country that leans conservative.  The most successful President is somebody who can build a team with good people from both sides.  When we get a full leadership team of liberals or a full leadership team of conservatives it just continues the division.

As for trump being able to manage foreign affairs, I personally feel somebody like him who is a deal maker is a huge asset.  Don't forget all of our Presidents are in the position of making deals with other countries, but unfortunately most of them are horrible at it.  They cater to the other side or public pressure and end up paying country X billions of dollars to please do a little bit of what we want, and then do nothing when they violate it.  They look at the people who put them in office and make sure they're ok with the deal before they push a deal.  Whether it's good for America is secondary.
The Iran deal is a great example of our current leadership being horrible deal makers.  Trump is a deal maker where he's used to coming out on top, I think that's a good thing for America.

2015-09-10 12:11 PM

Master
, California

I totally get the idea of finding a person who's outside the system, but do you honestly see Trump as someone who would be effective as President of the United States? Trump is a deal-maker. That's what real-estate is about. He's not a finance guy or even a self-made guy. Just because he's been at the helm of a successful company bearing his name (which he inherited) doesn't mean that he's ever been personally in charge of the P&L. Even if you are of the opinion that the US needs to be run like a buisiness, are you sure that, other than the fact that he's really rich, Trump has the financial/fiscal experience to do so? There's no question that a lot of his success over the past three decades is largely the result of trading on his name and his personality, which isn't going to mean squat in terms of improiving the economy or in international relations. I dunno. He feels to me like a person who's going to say whatever he needs to say to get elected, and then, who knows what we'll get? Honestly, he could end up being much, much more liberal than he's currently letting on. I thought his comment yesterday about the Syrian refugees was interesting, and I know it got a lot of bad press among the Neocons. (He said, that he "Hates the idea" of allowing the Syrian refugees into the US, but that, from a humanitarian POV, "you have to do it"). I detest Ted Cruz. I'll gladly admit that. He sort of disgusts me, honestly. But I think he's incredibly smart, very, very shrewd, and probably understands the inner workings of the government better than anyone alive. I think his moral compass is broken, assuming it ever existed in the first place, and I wouldn't for a minute trust him with that much power, but I can't argue that he's not "qualified" to be president, whatever that means.

You could absolutely be right on Trump in every way.  My problem is I have to look at candidates in comparison to other candidates.  When I see people like Hillary and Bush I get nauseous because I know that the only people they care about are the corporate and political folks that put them in office.  I know they say they care about America, but they do everything in their power to make it worse off financially by spending like drunk sailors.
They come up with things like the bail out and the ACA to give Billions/Trillions of dollars for their buddies at our expense.  They then convince us that it's for the people and to help the people, but I disagree.  The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is the special interests they spend Billions of dollars wastefully with.

With a guy like Trump, he's first off not beholden to the traditional lobbyists and special interests.  I'm not naive in that I don't think he has people and things he cares about financially, but he'll be far less beholden to them than any candidate in our lifetimes.
I do think he'll be more liberal when he gets into office than many republicans think, but honestly that's a good thing.  No matter what people like to think we have half the country that lean liberal and half the country that leans conservative.  The most successful President is somebody who can build a team with good people from both sides.  When we get a full leadership team of liberals or a full leadership team of conservatives it just continues the division.

As for trump being able to manage foreign affairs, I personally feel somebody like him who is a deal maker is a huge asset.  Don't forget all of our Presidents are in the position of making deals with other countries, but unfortunately most of them are horrible at it.  They cater to the other side or public pressure and end up paying country X billions of dollars to please do a little bit of what we want, and then do nothing when they violate it.  They look at the people who put them in office and make sure they're ok with the deal before they push a deal.  Whether it's good for America is secondary.
The Iran deal is a great example of our current leadership being horrible deal makers.  Trump is a deal maker where he's used to coming out on top, I think that's a good thing for America.

Don't forget, Trump has already filed for bankruptcy in what... 4 different casino businesses?  That makes him uniquely qualified to run the USA haha

2015-09-10 1:53 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

Don't forget, Trump has already filed for bankruptcy in what... 4 different casino businesses?  That makes him uniquely qualified to run the USA haha

Well, every year that goes by America is closer to bankruptcy so you might be onto something.  lol

2015-09-13 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Funny Joke....

How did Donald Trump build himself into a 4 Billion dollar empire?

He started with a 10 Billion dollar inheritance.   hahahahaha. 

No, seriously.  The 'Donald' gets credit for being a successful business man.  But by all accounts, except his own, he has been mostly a failure. 

http://www.infoplease.com/biography/var/donaldtrump.html

2015-09-14 9:28 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Funny Joke....

No, seriously.  The 'Donald' gets credit for being a successful business man.  But by all accounts, except his own, he has been mostly a failure. 

Where did the $10B number come from?  I did a quick google and several sites mention that he inherited somewhere between $40M - $200M.  He then severely over leveraged himself and turned that into a negative $1B.  Through negotiating with the banks he was able to turn that $1B in the hold into a $4B-$10B (depending who you believe) net worth that he has today.  Obviously he had some business challenges, but what you stated above as a "joke" wasn't even slightly based in reality. 

What I do know is that he reported $362M in earnings last year personally.  I'm not an accountant, but I'm going to say that's being a successful businessman in my book.

2015-09-14 9:46 AM

Master
, California

Funny Joke....

Where did the $10B number come from?  I did a quick google and several sites mention that he inherited somewhere between $40M - $200M.  He then severely over leveraged himself and turned that into a negative $1B.  Through negotiating with the banks he was able to turn that $1B in the hold into a $4B-$10B (depending who you believe) net worth that he has today.  Obviously he had some business challenges, but what you stated above as a "joke" wasn't even slightly based in reality. 

What I do know is that he reported $362M in earnings last year personally.  I'm not an accountant, but I'm going to say that's being a successful businessman in my book.

Yeah but how much of that was spent on his hair?

2015-09-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

Funny Joke....

Yeah but how much of that was spent on his hair?

It's sad to think that he probably pays somebody more money than you and I make combined to keep that hair going.

2015-09-14 9:50 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

WSJ did a nice interview with Trump.

Here's the video if you have 11 minutes to kill
http://www.wsj.com/video/donald-trump-enough-with-the-nice/2443FC76-54B0-4445-BF1A-26A6CA04CD76.html

2015-09-15 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

He's a Clown.  

Period. 

Mic Drop. 

2015-09-15 11:28 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

He's a Clown.  

Period. 

Mic Drop. 

wish I knew Jeff's address so I could stick a Trump sign in the yard.  

2015-09-15 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If you elect me president, we'll win so much you'll get tired of winning

2015-09-15 12:54 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

The irony of his campaign is that he's doing the same things Obama did in 2008.  We will change Washington, we will change everything and make it better was Obama's mantra.  Trump's is more like We will win and We will make America great again.

Purely from a politics and getting people to vote for you standpoint it worked awesome for Obama and so far it's working awesome for Trump.

2015-09-15 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

this is crap.  there is a huge difference between the "anti establishment" message of guys like Obama (or Bernie sanders) and the trump message.  Hey look if you're a white male i'll make life great, ew women are bleeding on everything and being b*tches and im sending these dirty rapist immigrants back to hell where they came from.

2015-09-15 3:26 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

The irony of his campaign is that he's doing the same things Obama did in 2008.  We will change Washington, we will change everything and make it better was Obama's mantra.  Trump's is more like We will win and We will make America great again.

Purely from a politics and getting people to vote for you standpoint it worked awesome for Obama and so far it's working awesome for Trump.

The only real difference is that Trump has some executive experience.

2015-09-15 3:49 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

this is crap.  there is a huge difference between the "anti establishment" message of guys like Obama (or Bernie sanders) and the trump message.  Hey look if you're a white male i'll make life great, ew women are bleeding on everything and being b*tches and im sending these dirty rapist immigrants back to hell where they came from. 

I know you're not in the trenches of the Republican base, but Trump is absolutely the anti-establishment guy and that's the whole reason he's doing what he's doing.  All of his salacious comments aside, his anti-establishment pluses are so far out there that it overrides the personality negatives.  

On a side note I love how his non politically correct language ticks off Liberals.  Especially when it's Liberals who spend most of their day spewing hate and bigotry all across social media.  

2015-09-15 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I know you're not in the trenches of the Republican base, but Trump is absolutely the anti-establishment guy and that's the whole reason he's doing what he's doing.  All of his salacious comments aside, his anti-establishment pluses are so far out there that it overrides the personality negatives.  

On a side note I love how his non politically correct language ticks off Liberals.  Especially when it's Liberals who spend most of their day spewing hate and bigotry all across social media.  

I love that, in Today's Republican Party, a 1%-er who inherited a fortune from his family and made his living buying and selling billion-dollar real estate, and who owns golf courses and hotels with his name plastered all over them is what passes for "anti-establishment".

Once upon a time, a kid who grew up poor in Illinois and worked his way through college as a radio broadcaster before moving to Hollywood and eventually becoming President was the face of the party. Those days are looooooong gone. These days, if you're a Republican candidate, you qualify as a "Man of the People" if you drink blended scotch on your Gulfstream instead of single malt.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-09-15 4:07 PM
2015-09-15 4:24 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I love that, in Today's Republican Party, a 1%-er who inherited a fortune from his family and made his living buying and selling billion-dollar real estate, and who owns golf courses and hotels with his name plastered all over them is what passes for "anti-establishment". Once upon a time, a kid who grew up poor in Illinois and worked his way through college as a radio broadcaster before moving to Hollywood and eventually becoming President was the face of the party. Those days are looooooong gone. These days, if you're a Republican candidate, you qualify as a "Man of the People" if you drink blended scotch on your Gulfstream instead of single malt.

I think you and I have a difference of opinion on what the establishment is if you can't see Trump as a guy who is outside of the Washington machine.

Obama was not an anti-establishment guy in reality, but in 2008 he ran on an anti-establishment message and most people thought that he was.  He was going to Washington and shake things up after 8 years of Bush destroying things and putting us in financial ruin.  This message got him elected, but once he got in office he was every bit as much an establishment guy who did everything (and more) that the Democratic party and their lobbyists wanted him to do.  He became exactly the same as Bush by bowing down to every corporation and lobbyist that gave him (and his party) money.

Trump could absolutely go to Washington and do the same thing Obama did, but compared to all of the other Republican candidates most feel that Trump is the least likely to bow down to the almighty lobbyist when he gets there.

2015-09-15 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

I just read a Trump supporters post on another site that said,  "If it comes down to an establishment candidate for the GOP I will write in my cat's name before I vote for the establishment"   I share this sentiment.  As a conservative I am utterly disgusted by the GOP. The 2012 and 2014 elections should have been a boon for conservatives...instead we have these Clown's McConnell and Boehner who could easily run and be elected as Democrats.

I really like Trump's message, and Carson's ...and Cruz's   That's it, if ANY other GOP candidate gets the nomination, I WILL vote 3rd party, because I'm done with the Republicans.

2015-09-16 10:25 AM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by bsjracing

I just read a Trump supporters post on another site that said,  "If it comes down to an establishment candidate for the GOP I will write in my cat's name before I vote for the establishment"   I share this sentiment.  As a conservative I am utterly disgusted by the GOP. The 2012 and 2014 elections should have been a boon for conservatives...instead we have these Clown's McConnell and Boehner who could easily run and be elected as Democrats.

I really like Trump's message, and Carson's ...and Cruz's   That's it, if ANY other GOP candidate gets the nomination, I WILL vote 3rd party, because I'm done with the Republicans.

+1 to that

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump Rss Feed  

of 40