in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Trump

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by ejshowers
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by mdg2003 Jonah, are you suggesting that Trump is the one inciting all the 'unrest' at these rallies? He's responsible for busing these people in to start fights and disrupt his own rallies? Or that his mere existence is the reason these people riot, block freeways and violate the civil rights of others, thus he is using them because they are too stupid not to protest? I'm not following your line of thought. You're a damn good writer and usually put your ideas in print, in ways that we can all understand your message. You've lost me on this one. All I'm getting is that you seem to be really irate. Please elaborate. And Trump is somehow a coward because he won't jump in there and crack a few heads with the protesters? How would that play 24/7 on CNNMSNBCFOX?
I never said the protestors are victims-- I agree with you that they're making a mockery of the process, reflecting poorly on their party, and costing their own cities unnecessary expense for riot control, etc. I fully support their right to protest peacefully-- they get to express they 1A rights also, but the violence is uncalled for and disgraceful. Full stop. Trump has explicitly called for his supporters to attack protestors, though. I'm not making that up. A candidate for President of the United states actually said, "Maybe he should have been roughed up, because it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing." And he said repeatedly that he would advocate paying the legal fees for the supporter of his who sucker-punched a protestor. Trump has made divisiveness and racism a central theme of his campaign-- again, whether explicit or not, it's undeniably there. We've discussed it ad nauseum on this thread already. it's not a coincidence that Trump supporters have set up armed demonstrations in front of Mosques, have chanted "Trump Trump Trump" at students from predominantly non-white schools, etc. Is every Trump supporter a violent racist? No, of course not, but neither is every Clinton/Sanders supporter a violent demonstrator, so you can't have it both ways. Trump's message, implicitly or explicitly, has sent a clear tone to people on both sides that he intends to deepen the divide between races. That's why you have, as LB pointed out, people saying that Trump would "put black people back in their place" and "show them who's really in charge". People of color and American Muslims are legitimately frightened of what a Trump presidency would mean for them, and they are, from their POV, fighting back against what they see will be a regime that will place them as second-class citizens, if not discriminate against them outright. ETA: I don't personally think that's what Trump, as president, will do, because I think he'll be far too inept and ineffective to do much of anything, but I understand where peoples' concern is coming from.
Interestingly or ironically - I am not sure which - I read the latest posts here then opened my Yahoo News and saw this headline: Fears of Trump drive immigrants to become citizens MIAMI (AP) — On a recent Saturday morning in South Florida, 50-year-old Edgar Ospina stood in a long line of immigrants to take the first step to become an American. Ospina has spent almost half his life in the U.S. after emigrating from his native Colombia, becoming eligible for citizenship in 1990. But with Donald Trump becoming a more likely presidential nominee by the day, Ospina decided to wait no more, rushing the paperwork required to become a citizen. "Trump is dividing us as a country," said Ospina, owner of a small flooring and kitchen remodeling company. "He's so negative about immigrants. We've got to speak up." Nationwide, immigrants like Ospina are among tens of thousands applying for naturalization in a year when immigration has taken center stage in the presidential campaign, especially in the race for the Republican nomination...... ....Nationwide, naturalization applications are up 14 percent in the last six months of 2015 compared with the same period in 2014, according to the government. And the pool of future U.S. citizens is large. Nearly 9 million legal permanent residents, or green-card holders, are eligible to become Americans. Of those, about 4 million are Hispanic..... https://www.yahoo.com/news/fears-trump-drive-immigrants-become-citiz... All Trump's talk and bluster may simply backfire after all....
How is this a backfire? Isn't that what everyone wants? To get these folks out of the shadows and into the mainstream American lifestyle? The only people that don't immigrants to ultimately become citizens are the ones who abuse them for cheap labor.

Exactly.  x2.  All we want is for those people who are in our country to be here legally.  That is all.  Nothing more.  No alternative motive.  But those that shouldn't be here, shouldn't be here.  Those breaking the law are here illegally.  It's pretty simple and not really controversial, unless you are for open borders.

2016-05-02 5:31 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro

Making the process easier for illegal immigrants to become US citizens should be a simple deal.  This is not complicated.  It makes you wonder where the hold up is.

2016-05-02 8:09 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I was talking about backfiring for Trump's bid for POTUS as in adding more D voters at a faster pace than if he wasn't so divisive.
2016-05-03 9:15 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I know it's just another poll, but I found some of the data a little interesting because one of the big arguments against Trump is that he can't draw Democrats or Independents.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/trump_41_clinton_39

Trump now has the support of 73% of Republicans, while 77% of Democrats back Clinton. But Trump picks up 15% of Democrats, while just eight percent (8%) of GOP voters prefer Clinton, given this matchup. Republicans are twice as likely to prefer another candidate.

Among voters not affiliated with either major party, Trump leads 37% to 31%, but 23% like another candidate. Nine percent (9%) are undecided.

In this particular poll he's nearly doubling the defection vote over Hillary and pulling more independents.

2016-05-03 3:15 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

I know it's just another poll, but I found some of the data a little interesting because one of the big arguments against Trump is that he can't draw Democrats or Independents.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/trump_41_clinton_39

Trump now has the support of 73% of Republicans, while 77% of Democrats back Clinton. But Trump picks up 15% of Democrats, while just eight percent (8%) of GOP voters prefer Clinton, given this matchup. Republicans are twice as likely to prefer another candidate.

Among voters not affiliated with either major party, Trump leads 37% to 31%, but 23% like another candidate. Nine percent (9%) are undecided.

In this particular poll he's nearly doubling the defection vote over Hillary and pulling more independents.

Just saw on the news that Trump claims that Cruz father was friendly with Lee Harvey Oswald. He cited an article in the National Enquirer.

You just can't make this up. Cruz, responded by calling Trump a "serial philanderer and liar".
2016-05-03 3:31 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Just saw on the news that Trump claims that Cruz father was friendly with Lee Harvey Oswald. He cited an article in the National Enquirer. You just can't make this up. Cruz, responded by calling Trump a "serial philanderer and liar".

Likely trying to shore up the JFK vote.

2016-05-03 7:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

http://www.bigstory.ap.org/article/211716a292a245498827f5fa7fac070b/ted-cruz-desperately-seeks-stop-donald-trump-indiana

That should pretty much wrap it up.  Trump vs. Clinton as long as she wins the FBI Primary.

Edited by tuwood 2016-05-03 7:29 PM
2016-05-03 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

That should pretty much wrap it up.  Trump vs. Clinton as long as she wins the FBI Primary.

hahah Well if she loses the FBI Primary I hope its before the convention so Sanders can be president.

Edited by chirunner134 2016-05-03 8:22 PM
2016-05-03 8:31 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134

hahah Well if she loses the FBI Primary I hope its before the convention so Sanders can be president.

I can't find it now, but I read an article recently talking about Bernie staying in until the end "just in case".  He obviously isn't going to be able to get the delegates outright.

2016-05-04 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

I can't find it now, but I read an article recently talking about Bernie staying in until the end "just in case".  He obviously isn't going to be able to get the delegates outright.

Well makes sense. Even if he drops at this point if Hillary can not run Democrats I believe be fools not to run him. Any other democrat at this point would probably lose to Trump.
2016-05-04 9:48 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

While I won't be supporting Trump in the general election, I look forward to him running against Clinton - she needs a competitor that won't keep certain subjects off limits.  It'll be interesting for sure, Clinton has the worst negatives of any major presidential candidate in history (except for Trump).

2016-05-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Hook'em

While I won't be supporting Trump in the general election, I look forward to him running against Clinton - she needs a competitor that won't keep certain subjects off limits.  It'll be interesting for sure, Clinton has the worst negatives of any major presidential candidate in history (except for Trump).

Well Clinton very well may win but I hoping the anti big money / career politician continues to grow so we can have a less corrupt government. If Trump wins and does a bad job then it might be the movement more harm than good.
2016-05-04 12:12 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Well Clinton very well may win but I hoping the anti big money / career politician continues to grow so we can have a less corrupt government. If Trump wins and does a bad job then it might be the movement more harm than good.

It's definitely going to be an interesting race, but Hillary is going to have a much bigger challenge than I think most people realize.

Bill is Hillary's number one weapon but Trump sent him off the reservation for weeks a couple months back with just a couple tweets.  The Democrats are especially prone to looking back at history and judging it with a 2016 lens.  Bill and Hillary are not going to enjoy having their sordid pasts looked through with that lens.

2016-05-04 9:27 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

It's definitely going to be an interesting race, but Hillary is going to have a much bigger challenge than I think most people realize.

Bill is Hillary's number one weapon but Trump sent him off the reservation for weeks a couple months back with just a couple tweets.  The Democrats are especially prone to looking back at history and judging it with a 2016 lens.  Bill and Hillary are not going to enjoy having their sordid pasts looked through with that lens.

While Trump trots out all his old choirboy pictures....

It's not for nothing that Cruz called him a lying philanderer or whatever.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of my fellow Americans, but I have to expect that the majority of people will, at some point, insist that their candidate for president talk about issues or a plan or something, and, since I don't think Trump knows about any issues other than his stupid wall or deporting all the Mexicans, or has a plan, I don't think he'll be able to. And at that point, lots of people will listen to what a ton of smart people on both sides of the aisle have been saying, which is that Trump isn't a serious candidate for president and Hillary is, if nothing else, the lesser of two evils.

But, hey, as H. L. Mencken famously said, "You'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
2016-05-05 9:52 AM

While Trump trots out all his old choirboy pictures....

It's not for nothing that Cruz called him a lying philanderer or whatever.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of my fellow Americans, but I have to expect that the majority of people will, at some point, insist that their candidate for president talk about issues or a plan or something, and, since I don't think Trump knows about any issues other than his stupid wall or deporting all the Mexicans, or has a plan, I don't think he'll be able to. And at that point, lots of people will listen to what a ton of smart people on both sides of the aisle have been saying, which is that Trump isn't a serious candidate for president and Hillary is, if nothing else, the lesser of two evils.

But, hey, as H. L. Mencken famously said, "You'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

Yes, you are expecting too much of your fellow Americans.
2016-05-05 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

While Trump trots out all his old choirboy pictures.... It's not for nothing that Cruz called him a lying philanderer or whatever. Maybe I'm expecting too much of my fellow Americans, but I have to expect that the majority of people will, at some point, insist that their candidate for president talk about issues or a plan or something, and, since I don't think Trump knows about any issues other than his stupid wall or deporting all the Mexicans, or has a plan, I don't think he'll be able to. And at that point, lots of people will listen to what a ton of smart people on both sides of the aisle have been saying, which is that Trump isn't a serious candidate for president and Hillary is, if nothing else, the lesser of two evils. But, hey, as H. L. Mencken famously said, "You'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

You had me until you called Hillary a serious candidate.

Be honest, it doesn't matter what Trump puts out there policy wise you will still not like him or vote for him so to quote Hillary "what difference does it make"  

2016-05-05 5:20 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

While Trump trots out all his old choirboy pictures.... It's not for nothing that Cruz called him a lying philanderer or whatever. Maybe I'm expecting too much of my fellow Americans, but I have to expect that the majority of people will, at some point, insist that their candidate for president talk about issues or a plan or something, and, since I don't think Trump knows about any issues other than his stupid wall or deporting all the Mexicans, or has a plan, I don't think he'll be able to. And at that point, lots of people will listen to what a ton of smart people on both sides of the aisle have been saying, which is that Trump isn't a serious candidate for president and Hillary is, if nothing else, the lesser of two evils. But, hey, as H. L. Mencken famously said, "You'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

Be honest, it doesn't matter what Trump puts out there policy wise you will still not like him or vote for him so to quote Hillary "what difference does it make"  

I've been FAR more balanced in my viewpoint of Hillary than you've been with Trump, whom you've basically said can do no wrong. Look, I understand conservatives and republicans who say "Trump is a buffoon and totally unqualified to be president, but I think Hillary is dishonest, a career politician etc. so I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Trump". That's not ever been your position. Your position has always been that he is a qualified, competent, reasonable candidate who you feel is the best the Gop has to offer. That's been your position since the beginning. You boasted about it the other day.
I don't like Hillary much and the more I hear Sanders talk, the less I like him. But as that guy I quoted the other day said, at least they have actual positions. At least there is a historical record that suggests how they will govern. At least I can trust them to represent he best interests of the United States to the world, since they both have long careers dedicated to public service. Trump has none of that.
So, I will freely admit that I am choosing the lesser of two evils. I'm not prepared to hand the keys to the White House over to a loudmouth demagogue with no previous experience or interest in public service. Sorry--im not that desperate yet.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2016-05-05 5:24 PM
2016-05-05 6:39 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
2016-05-05 7:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I've been FAR more balanced in my viewpoint of Hillary than you've been with Trump, whom you've basically said can do no wrong. Look, I understand conservatives and republicans who say "Trump is a buffoon and totally unqualified to be president, but I think Hillary is dishonest, a career politician etc. so I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Trump". That's not ever been your position. Your position has always been that he is a qualified, competent, reasonable candidate who you feel is the best the Gop has to offer. That's been your position since the beginning. You boasted about it the other day. I don't like Hillary much and the more I hear Sanders talk, the less I like him. But as that guy I quoted the other day said, at least they have actual positions. At least there is a historical record that suggests how they will govern. At least I can trust them to represent he best interests of the United States to the world, since they both have long careers dedicated to public service. Trump has none of that. So, I will freely admit that I am choosing the lesser of two evils. I'm not prepared to hand the keys to the White House over to a loudmouth demagogue with no previous experience or interest in public service. Sorry--im not that desperate yet.

haha, I think you severely misrepresent my affection for Trump.  I've said several times that there's plenty I don't like about him.
He could be a complete disaster in every way, but I am willing to take the risk because he isn't bought off by the same system that keeps producing politician after politician.  Bagging on Trump for having zero government experience makes people like me support him more.  It's what we find most appealing.

As for trusting Bernie and Hillary to "represent the best interests of the United States to the world"   hahaha, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Now Bernie truly believes what he's pitching, so he thinks its the best thing for America but to suggest converting our economy to a more socialistic system is in the best interests of America is laughable?

Hillary has a lifelong career of self enriching and corruption that's left nothing but destruction in her wake.  She cares about two things, money and power and will do whatever it takes to get/keep them.  Remember, she has no accomplishments in her long career and after being asked multiple times what her biggest accomplishments were she can't even name anything.
Now I actually agree with you that Hillary is the lesser evil over Bernie, but fortunately America has a third choice.

2016-05-05 7:06 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Happy Cinco deMayo from Donald Trump! http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/g2739/donald-trump-taco-b...

I love the silly attack articles like this.  They're so desperate it's laughable.
The Democrats are truly scared because they don't know what to do.

2016-05-05 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Happy Cinco deMayo from Donald Trump! http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/g2739/donald-trump-taco-b...

I love the silly attack articles like this.  They're so desperate it's laughable.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAA!

No, seriously. Thanks for the laugh. The funny thing is that when the GOP attacks Hillary, they have to convolute her words, or take them out of context, or make inferences about what she actually meant, or whatever. For reference, see your "what does it matter" quote from earlier.
All you have to do to make Trump look like a friggin idiot is repost his own Twitter post, verbatim. Seriously, if someone showed you this and asked you to guess if it was real or a photoshopped picture from The Onion, you'd have to think about it, right? "I love Hispanics!'" Hahahahaha. Seriously? Either a)he figures no Hispanic alive is going to vote for him anyway, so why bother trying or b)he actually thinks that a posting a picture of him eating a taco salad in his office on Cinco de Mayo and tweeting "I love Hispanics!" Is going to shift the tide and make Hispanics change their mind about him. Either way, it's hilarious.

The election is far from over, so it's silly for anyone to be overconfident at this point, but there's literally not a shred of reliable evidence that suggests at this point that he can win. So, again, even though November's a long way away, no one's desperate. Trust me. Want to know what desperate looks like? It looks like a big greasy taco salad on Cinco de Mayo, hoping it'll win you some Hispanic votes.

2016-05-05 8:16 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAAAA! No, seriously. Thanks for the laugh. The funny thing is that when the GOP attacks Hillary, they have to convolute her words, or take them out of context, or make inferences about what she actually meant, or whatever. For reference, see your "what does it matter" quote from earlier. All you have to do to make Trump look like a friggin idiot is repost his own Twitter post, verbatim. Seriously, if someone showed you this and asked you to guess if it was real or a photoshopped picture from The Onion, you'd have to think about it, right? "I love Hispanics!'" Hahahahaha. Seriously? Either a)he figures no Hispanic alive is going to vote for him anyway, so why bother trying or b)he actually thinks that a posting a picture of him eating a taco salad in his office on Cinco de Mayo and tweeting "I love Hispanics!" Is going to shift the tide and make Hispanics change their mind about him. Either way, it's hilarious. The election is far from over, so it's silly for anyone to be overconfident at this point, but there's literally not a shred of reliable evidence that suggests at this point that he can win. So, again, even though November's a long way away, no one's desperate. Trust me. Want to know what desperate looks like? It looks like a big greasy taco salad on Cinco de Mayo, hoping it'll win you some Hispanic votes.

I do agree it's far from over.  (yay, we agree on something)

2016-05-05 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I've been FAR more balanced in my viewpoint of Hillary than you've been with Trump, whom you've basically said can do no wrong. Look, I understand conservatives and republicans who say "Trump is a buffoon and totally unqualified to be president, but I think Hillary is dishonest, a career politician etc. so I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Trump". That's not ever been your position. Your position has always been that he is a qualified, competent, reasonable candidate who you feel is the best the Gop has to offer. That's been your position since the beginning. You boasted about it the other day. I don't like Hillary much and the more I hear Sanders talk, the less I like him. But as that guy I quoted the other day said, at least they have actual positions. At least there is a historical record that suggests how they will govern. At least I can trust them to represent he best interests of the United States to the world, since they both have long careers dedicated to public service. Trump has none of that. So, I will freely admit that I am choosing the lesser of two evils. I'm not prepared to hand the keys to the White House over to a loudmouth demagogue with no previous experience or interest in public service. Sorry--im not that desperate yet.

Remember, she has no accomplishments in her long career and after being asked multiple times what her biggest accomplishments were she can't even name anything..

You've made this claim a number of times, and I can't find anything about it other than an obviously misattributed quote. Can you provide a link?

Hope you're enjoying your Cinco de Mayo.
2016-05-06 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Remember, she has no accomplishments in her long career and after being asked multiple times what her biggest accomplishments were she can't even name anything..

You've made this claim a number of times, and I can't find anything about it other than an obviously misattributed quote. Can you provide a link? Hope you're enjoying your Cinco de Mayo.

I think your google is broke.    

Here's a few from a quick google of her and her supporters.  I tried to not get duplicates so my apologies in advance if any of these are referring to the same incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMWZeLqwllY

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidadesnik/2014/06/10/hillary-cant-name-top-accomplishment-as-secretary-of-state/#48e4415846a4

http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/17/hillary-clinton-cant-name-a-top-accomplishment-while-secretary-of-state-video/

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/04/01/top-ally-of-hillary-clinton-cant-name-a-single-accomplishment/

http://www.truthandaction.org/clinton-white-house-counsel-cant-name-single-hillary-accomplishment/

2016-05-06 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry, Tony, but, as usual, you've posted questionable sources and a dishonest account of what your links actually are:

I haven't watched the video, so I'll have to review that later.

The first link is probably the best one, but it isn't that she "can't" name any of her accomplishments, it's that she chose to answer the question differently.

The last two are ridiculous, and I'm being generous. I used the word dishonest because you can see clearly as soon as you open them that a) they're highly-questionable, far-right wing sources that are CLEARLY on a mission to smear her from the first paragraph, and b) and most significantly, neither of them are even interviews with Hillary. In fact, Hillary isn't even quoted in either of the last two articles.

Here's how one one of the articles begins:

"How many accomplishments are on Hillary Clinton’s resume? According to Lanny Davis, Bill Clinton’s former Counsel and troubleshooter: 0
When asked on Hugh Hewitt’s show to list Hillary Clinton’s accomplishments the man couldn’t list one.
Hmmm, he could have just said…the killing of 4 Americans over in Benghazi."

(btw, Hugh Hewitt, on whose radio show the interview took place, is the author of "The Queen: The Epic Ambition of Hillary and the Coming of a Second 'Clinton Era'")

So, yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and guess that he doesn't have an elephant hugging a donkey on his desk.

The other article is from a Pro-abortion website called "LifeNews" that quotes an interview with Diane Feinstein, not Hillary, where she was asked to name Hillary's "signature accomplishment as Senator":

"Feinstein said, 'Golly, I forget what bills she’s been part of or authored,' Feinstein told the newspaper’s editorial board.

Feinstein, who recently endorsed Clinton for president, told the newspaper that she was caught off guard by the question.

“I didn’t really come prepared to discuss this,” she said. “But she’s been a good senator. There are things outside of bills that you can do, and I know that she’s done them for her state.”

So, just to recap, two of the four links you posted aren't even what you claim they are. One of them is at best debatable. I'll have to watch the video later.

I think my Google works fine. I think maybe your Google Search skills, or maybe your objectivity is broken.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump Rss Feed  

of 40