of 40

2015-11-20 4:00 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Trump
I saw the video on TV last night - not sure if it is on the web yet. He had plenty of opportunity to clarify things but didn't. The reporter also asked his campaign off air if they wanted to make any clarifications, but they passed.

2015-11-20 4:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mdg2003

The headlines started after Yahoo News published an article Thursday based on an interview with the Republican presidential candidate. The reporter apparently asked Trump whether new security measures might involve a database to register Muslims in the U.S.

When he replied, “We’re going to have to — we’re going to have to look at a lot of things very closely” including mosques, Yahoo News reported that Trump did not “rule [the database] out.”

Is there a video of this?

This is a pretty balanced account of what he said and didn't say. It says he "answered ambiguously. He then later affirmed that Muslims should be required to register in a database."

http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-muslims-id/

He was, as he tends to be about most things, pretty vague. So, while on the one hand you can say, "Well, he didn't actually say XYZ", neither did he rule out "XYZ".

Even when he responded to the controversy on Twitter, he presumably could have said, "I would not support a mandatory database for Muslims." But he didn't say that. What he did say was, "I did not suggest a database, a reporter did. We must defeat Islamic terrorism and have surveillance, including a watch list to protect America". Draw your own conclusions, but it's pretty obvious to me what he wants us to read between the lines.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-11-20 4:01 PM
2015-11-21 6:22 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Tejas
First off, I'm not a Trump fan, so I'm not here to defend him. But, it looks to me like a reporter was asking him a loaded question, in an effort to smear him, and Trump answered it kind of half azzed. Said reporter took his 'bone' a laid it at the feet of his master and here we are.

I do agree with you guys that he should have said that under no condition will we be forming a national database of all muslims. But if you look at the actual question on it's own merit, it is so ridiculous that I'd tell someone to go fk themselves if they asked me the question. Trump in his arrogant fashion probably just dismissed this twit reporter and moved on. Don't worry, Trump will step on his pee pee and it will seriously damage his campaign. This just isn't it.
2015-11-21 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

except he has said very similar things several times publicly.

2015-11-21 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by dmiller5

except he has said very similar things several times publicly.

I get it, trust me. It just isn't the same as saying he would make it policy. It's kind of a 'hazy almost gotcha' moment. He's careful, but he's a blowhard. He'll eff up bigger than this before it is all over with. Wait for it.

Edited by mdg2003 2015-11-21 10:14 AM
2015-11-21 10:13 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

My money's on the DHS already having a database of Muslims in the US.  Welcome to the surveillance state.

2015-11-21 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Thoughts? Honestly, I can't believe we're even talking about this. Mandatory registration to a government-controlled database solely for people of a particular religion? Is this really what we're becoming? http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/11/20/donald-trump-draws-fire-for-comments-on-muslim-database/ "In response to a question from NBC News at a campaign stop later Thursday in Newton, Iowa, about whether he would create a database to track Muslims, he said, 'I would certainly implement that. Absolutely,' while signing autographs. Muslims would be registered to the database at 'different places,' not just mosques, he said, and registration would be mandatory. It wasn’t clear if he was referring to registering American citizens, immigrants or both."

Yet another manufactured out of context controversy.  You do realize that the majority of Americans ARE concerned about letting the Syrian refugees in without vetting them?  Every single citizen of the US is in a government database, so I love the outrage of actually writing down the names of people who are being allowed asylum into our country.  Oh the humanity, he's worse than hitler.  /rollseyes

I guess your position is we let these people into the country and don't ask them for identification and most certainly don't record any of the information.  We wouldn't want to offend them right.

2015-11-21 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Thoughts? Honestly, I can't believe we're even talking about this. Mandatory registration to a government-controlled database solely for people of a particular religion? Is this really what we're becoming? http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/11/20/donald-trump-draws-fire-for-comments-on-muslim-database/ "In response to a question from NBC News at a campaign stop later Thursday in Newton, Iowa, about whether he would create a database to track Muslims, he said, 'I would certainly implement that. Absolutely,' while signing autographs. Muslims would be registered to the database at 'different places,' not just mosques, he said, and registration would be mandatory. It wasn’t clear if he was referring to registering American citizens, immigrants or both."

Yet another manufactured out of context controversy.  You do realize that the majority of Americans ARE concerned about letting the Syrian refugees in without vetting them?  Every single citizen of the US is in a government database, so I love the outrage of actually writing down the names of people who are being allowed asylum into our country.  Oh the humanity, he's worse than hitler.  /rollseyes

I guess your position is we let these people into the country and don't ask them for identification and most certainly don't record any of the information.  We wouldn't want to offend them right.

Then why did he specifically mention mosques?
2015-11-21 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

The questions weren't solely about refugees. They were much broader to include Muslims that are already citizens and already living here. If it was unclear to him, he had plenty of opportunity to clarify. He is, of course, walking the mess back now.

He is a horrible person in my opinion.
2015-11-22 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

This is from today:

On ABC’s This Week today, George Stephanopoulos confronted Donald Trump today on whether he really supports a Muslim database and surveillance of American mosques.

Stephanopoulos asked, “Are you unequivocally now ruling out a database on all Muslims?

Trump answered, “No, not at all.”

You were saying?

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-11-22 12:57 PM
2015-11-22 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

This is from today: On ABC’s This Week today, George Stephanopoulos confronted Donald Trump today on whether he really supports a Muslim database and surveillance of American mosques. Stephanopoulos asked, “Are you unequivocally now ruling out a database on all Muslims?” Trump answered, “No, not at all.” You were saying?

Wow, even you are better than stooping to the "take it out of context" game.

Here's the actual transcript:

STEPHANOPOULOS: You did stir up a controversy with those comments over the database. Let’s try to clear that up.

Are you unequivocally now ruling out a database on all Muslims?

TRUMP: No, not at all. I want a database for the refugees that -- if they come into the country. We have no idea who these people are. When the Syrian refugees are going to start pouring into this country, we don’t know if they’re ISIS, we don’t know if it’s a Trojan horse.

And I definitely want a database and other checks and balances. We want to go with watchlists. We want to go with databases.

And we have no choice. We have no idea who’s being sent in here. This could be the -- it’s probably not, but it could be the great Trojan horse of all time, where they come in.

When I look at those migration -- when I look at the migration and the lines and I see all strong, very powerful looking men, they’re men and I see very few women, I see very few children, there’s something strange going on.

And if you look at what’s happened in Europe, a lot of bad things are happening in Europe. Just ask the folks that live in Germany, George. A lot of bad things are happening.

The funny part of this whole discussion is that I would bet you $100 that Obama has a full database already of every Syrian refugee.

2015-11-22 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

This is from today: On ABC’s This Week today, George Stephanopoulos confronted Donald Trump today on whether he really supports a Muslim database and surveillance of American mosques. Stephanopoulos asked, “Are you unequivocally now ruling out a database on all Muslims?” Trump answered, “No, not at all.” You were saying?

STEPHANOPOULOS: You did stir up a controversy with those comments over the database. Let’s try to clear that up.

TRUMP: No, not at all. I want a database for the refugees that -- if they come into the country. We have no idea who these people are. When the Syrian refugees are going to start pouring into this country, we don’t know if they’re ISIS, we don’t know if it’s a Trojan horse.

And I definitely want a database and other checks and balances. We want to go with watchlists. We want to go with databases.

And we have no choice. We have no idea who’s being sent in here. This could be the -- it’s probably not, but it could be the great Trojan horse of all time, where they come in.

When I look at those migration -- when I look at the migration and the lines and I see all strong, very powerful looking men, they’re men and I see very few women, I see very few children, there’s something strange going on.

And if you look at what’s happened in Europe, a lot of bad things are happening in Europe. Just ask the folks that live in Germany, George. A lot of bad things are happening.

The funny part of this whole discussion is that I would bet you $100 that Obama has a full database already of every Syrian refugee.

I'll ask the question again: if he's only talking about creating a database for refugees, which, as you noted, happens anyway, then why the line about registering at mosques?
Trump presumably has done his homework about the existing process by which an immigrant enters the country, which includes being placed on a database. . If that's the case, then what's he even talking about?

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-11-22 5:29 PM
2015-11-22 5:48 PM

User image

Pro

I'll ask the question again: if he's only talking about creating a database for refugees, which, as you noted, happens anyway, then why the line about registering at mosques? Trump presumably has done his homework about the existing process by which an immigrant enters the country, which includes being placed on a database. . If that's the case, then what's he even talking about?

One of life's great mysteries.  

You're just trying to ruin all the fun. LOL

2015-11-22 5:48 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'll ask the question again: if he's only talking about creating a database for refugees, which, as you noted, happens anyway, then why the line about registering at mosques? Trump presumably has done his homework about the existing process by which an immigrant enters the country, which includes being placed on a database. . If that's the case, then what's he even talking about?

It doesn't matter what he says, you'll still hate him so to quote Hillary "what difference does it make".

There are mosques in the US that are known to promote radical islam.  We have infiltrated, spied upon, and tracked members of them in the past so why is this so scandalous for Trump to be for that today?  Oh yeah, it's because he's the leading republican candidate and the Democrats are desperate to do something to knock him down.

According to a recent Bloomberg poll the majority of Americans do not support allowing Syrian refugees to come to America.  Worse yet only 28% of people support Obama's plan to resettle 10,000 of them by 2016.  Right or wrong Trump is on the side of the people and he will be rewarded in the polls and the Democrats will be punished.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/290213526/Bloomberg-Politics-National-Poll-v3-Nov-18-2015

As I mentioned earlier my concern is with the vetting process and not so much the concept of allowing refugees into America.  The FBI director flat out said that many cannot be vetted.
http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/21/fbi-director-admits-us-cant-vet-all-syrian-refugees-for-terror-ties-video/

So Obama is saying they're all vetted, the Vice President is saying they're being vetted, but the FBI is saying that they can't be vetted.  Who should I believe?

2015-11-22 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

It depends on your definition of vetted.

2015-11-22 8:16 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

It doesn't matter what he says, you'll still hate him so to quote Hillary "what difference does it make".

There are mosques in the US that are known to promote radical islam.  We have infiltrated, spied upon, and tracked members of them in the past so why is this so scandalous for Trump to be for that today?  Oh yeah, it's because he's the leading republican candidate and the Democrats are desperate to do something to knock him down.

According to a recent Bloomberg poll the majority of Americans do not support allowing Syrian refugees to come to America.  Worse yet only 28% of people support Obama's plan to resettle 10,000 of them by 2016.  Right or wrong Trump is on the side of the people and he will be rewarded in the polls and the Democrats will be punished.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/290213526/Bloomberg-Politics-National-Poll-v3-Nov-18-2015

As I mentioned earlier my concern is with the vetting process and not so much the concept of allowing refugees into America.  The FBI director flat out said that many cannot be vetted.
http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/21/fbi-director-admits-us-cant-vet-all-syrian-refugees-for-terror-ties-video/

So Obama is saying they're all vetted, the Vice President is saying they're being vetted, but the FBI is saying that they can't be vetted.  Who should I believe?

Ok, Tony, but here's the deal: since you're willingly signing up for the establishment of government-sponsored surveillance of Americans and for a mandatory registry of people based on their religious beliefs , you don't get to call yourself a libertarian anymore.

2015-11-22 10:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Ok, Tony, but here's the deal: since you're willingly signing up for the establishment of government-sponsored surveillance of Americans and for a mandatory registry of people based on their religious beliefs , you don't get to call yourself a libertarian anymore.

ok, that made me lol.  That's quite a strawman you just created for me to defend.

2015-11-23 5:04 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

ok, that made me lol.  That's quite a strawman you just created for me to defend.

It's not a strawman at all. You pointed out that immigrants and refugees are already in a database. So if Trump is talking about a database that is "mandatory" and that people will be registered to it in different places, "not just mosques", then he's clearly talking about what I'm suggesting-a mandatory database for Muslims. He's been pretty clear about it and if that's not what he's talking about, he hasn't done much to contradict that message.

Here's another thing you don't get to say anymore, "As soon as we abandon our way of life out of fear, the terrorists have won." You're 100% bought in to this mindless squirrelly panic. The same panic that's making people "protest" while open carrying in front of a place of worship and hold rallys protesting the "Islamization" of the U.S. That's just funny. Just suggest that some Muslim radicals might sneak into the country among some fleeing refugees, and all of a sudden, we have to take up arms against our fellow Americans to defend our way of life? People like that and people who are so quick to abandon American values out of fear are a greater threat to this country than any terrorist.
2015-11-23 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I see a bunch of head butting going on. I doubt anything either of you guys say will convince the other to switch sides. Why bother?

Trump will continue navigating the minefield set by pretend journos like little Georgie Clinotonopolis and the Clinton machine will chug on. People that despise Hillary will cling to whatever is out there running against her. People who love Hilarry will do their damnedest to nullify any ground being gained against her. I don't care for either candidate, but would vote for Trump only because he has only slightly higher moral standards. That's my opinion and I'm saying that based on a 1 to 100 scale, with Trump edging Hillary with a .6 score. Fiscally, I haven't been convinced they're not the same animal. Getting the US out of the financial hole we're in is really high on my list right now. Not some pre-loaded and manufactured BS that BOTH parties are promoting ( Benghazi emails and Islamania )
They've got us looking at the cheerleaders, not the ball.

Edited by mdg2003 2015-11-23 8:44 AM
2015-11-23 9:04 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mdg2003

I see a bunch of head butting going on. I doubt anything either of you guys say will convince the other to switch sides. Why bother?

Trump will continue navigating the minefield set by pretend journos like little Georgie Clinotonopolis and the Clinton machine will chug on. People that despise Hillary will cling to whatever is out there running against her. People who love Hilarry will do their damnedest to nullify any ground being gained against her. I don't care for either candidate, but would vote for Trump only because he has only slightly higher moral standards. That's my opinion and I'm saying that based on a 1 to 100 scale, with Trump edging Hillary with a .6 score. Fiscally, I haven't been convinced they're not the same animal. Getting the US out of the financial hole we're in is really high on my list right now. Not some pre-loaded and manufactured BS that BOTH parties are promoting ( Benghazi emails and Islamania )
They've got us looking at the cheerleaders, not the ball.

(Deep breath) You're right.
2015-11-23 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

It's not a strawman at all. You pointed out that immigrants and refugees are already in a database. So if Trump is talking about a database that is "mandatory" and that people will be registered to it in different places, "not just mosques", then he's clearly talking about what I'm suggesting-a mandatory database for Muslims. He's been pretty clear about it and if that's not what he's talking about, he hasn't done much to contradict that message. Here's another thing you don't get to say anymore, "As soon as we abandon our way of life out of fear, the terrorists have won." You're 100% bought in to this mindless squirrelly panic. The same panic that's making people "protest" while open carrying in front of a place of worship and hold rallys protesting the "Islamization" of the U.S. That's just funny. Just suggest that some Muslim radicals might sneak into the country among some fleeing refugees, and all of a sudden, we have to take up arms against our fellow Americans to defend our way of life? People like that and people who are so quick to abandon American values out of fear are a greater threat to this country than any terrorist.

The definition of a straw man is making up a statement and then forcing somebody to defend it.  Nobody, not Trump or I have suggested a mandatory database for Muslims.  You and the whacky liberal sites keep trying to make it into this, but it's not.  So once again, I won't answer your silly straw man question.

The last paragraph doesn't dignify a response.  /rollseyes 

2015-11-25 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I heard on the Interwebnetty-thing that Trump has sex with animals.  So, according to 'the Donald,  it MUST be true right?  Cuz, It was on the internet?!

I think the Donald is like Wilson, the volleyball-man, in the movie Cast Away.  He's just bobbing along on the ocean with no land in site.  And lots of folks have abandoned the relative safety of the raft to swim after their trusted, beloved friend.   Because he speaks the TRUTH!? 

My question is "What are you gonna do when you catch him?"   And the raft has long since drifted away.

And PLEASE answer that hypothetical question without using the words Hillary, Bernie or Democrat. 

Discuss.....

(related search terms;  bigot, fascist, nut-job, bankruptcy, cheering Muslims, watch lists, citizen registers, bad hair day, 3rd party candidate

2015-11-25 9:09 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jeffnboise

I heard on the Interwebnetty-thing that Trump has sex with animals.  So, according to 'the Donald,  it MUST be true right?  Cuz, It was on the internet?!

I think the Donald is like Wilson, the volleyball-man, in the movie Cast Away.  He's just bobbing along on the ocean with no land in site.  And lots of folks have abandoned the relative safety of the raft to swim after their trusted, beloved friend.   Because he speaks the TRUTH!? 

My question is "What are you gonna do when you catch him?"   And the raft has long since drifted away.

And PLEASE answer that hypothetical question without using the words Hillary, Bernie or Democrat. 

Discuss.....

(related search terms;  bigot, fascist, nut-job, bankruptcy, cheering Muslims, watch lists, citizen registers, bad hair day, 3rd party candidate

So don't sugar coat you're feelings for Trump, let us know how you really feel.  lol

On a serious note, you do realize who all these people are swimming away from right?  President Obama and the Democrats have made our country into such a mockery that Trump appears to be a far better solution.  That's even funnier.

2015-11-26 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Discuss.....

So don't sugar coat you're feelings for Trump, let us know how you really feel.  lol

On a serious note, you do realize who all these people are swimming away from right?  President Obama and the Democrats have made our country into such a mockery that Trump appears to be a far better solution.  That's even funnier.

Worth mentioning that a lot of those people are also running away from the GOP establishment. Bush represents exactly what the GOP has become. His numbers are in the gutter, even with the full $$$ backing of the GOP.

People are running away from what our government has become since the last three years of Clinton's presidency.
2015-11-26 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Discuss.....

Don't want to hijack a good Trump thread, but......

I'm not seeing a bunch of Democrats at a Trump rally.  No, these folks are the 'new' Republican party.  (Pick any three) Rich, old, white, male, bigoted, religious hypocrites, and "F" students In recent American history.  Congratulations.  (slow clap)

AND BTW:  Penalty Flag is thrown for your illegal use of "Democrat"

Back to Trumpin'....

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump Rss Feed  

of 40