General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes for kids - is it worth? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-03 3:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Running shoes for kids - is it worth?
I want to pass my obsession with triathlons to my daughter. She already enjoys all three parts and I would like to start little bit of running with her. She is now almost 6 years old.
When she was 4.5 she run 2.5 mile with me without a stop at a 10.5 min/mile pace (which I considered incredible for a small kid with no experience). After we did few more smaller runs she complained about her feet and some pain. I bet she her shoes were not even close to running shoes and that could have been a problem. My feet pronate and I need to have custom made shoes with inserts. I was wondering, if I should buy something running-specific for her too? Is it worth the money? Does it makes sense?
What do you do with your kids?

Thanks for your feedback!
Mary

2015-09-03 5:18 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Running shoes for kids - is it worth?
My son runs cross country and he gets proper running shoes.
2015-09-03 6:02 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I hate to think what I've spent on running shoes for my young son.  Worth it to me though to do what I can to support him.

2015-09-03 6:30 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't have kids, but I do coach kids as young as 8, and have been running since I was ten, back before they even had running shoes for kids. If she is running regularly and particularly mostly on pavement then yes, I would look in to getting her some running shoes. It's not really a natural surface and many of those "sports" shoes kids wear might not have the right kind of padding and support, or be too rigid. I like younger runners to stay on grass or dirt as much as possible. Some even run barefoot or in socks when that is safe, at least for part of the workout (usually stride drills and sprints). My own youth coach did that--I think it helps develop strong leg and foot muscles and a more natural stride, plus reduces the chance of impact-related injuries to growing bones and joints.

Six is young for running shoes--I don't know what is available, unless she has big feet for her age. I would go to a running store and ask. I'd guess that you would want something with some padding and support but enough flexibility for her to use a natural stride--even for a lightweight adult woman, a lot of shoes can be too rigid.

Finally, with younger kids, a stop and go approach is usually more natural and might help prevent discomfort. People get all hyper about mileage with young children, but if you watch healthy, active kids at play, they are putting in decent mileage already--it's just not continuous. I'd follow her lead on runs.
2015-09-04 7:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Houston
Yes but don't assume because you pronate she will as well.
My kids run and wear proper running shoes but I usually get them online or on clearance when I can.
The good news is, I work in a running store.
2015-09-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by KeriKadi

Yes but don't assume because you pronate she will as well.
My kids run and wear proper running shoes but I usually get them online or on clearance when I can.
The good news is, I work in a running store.

And also, don't assume that because you pronate you need anything special in a shoe. While for most of us it's important, you'll find that the faster you are the less important having anything other than a neutral shoe is.
spectrum example:
walking--- generally equals a heel strike. having a shoe that meets your supination/pronation needs is important
100M dash --- you need to be on toes, heel inserts and special shoes won't do anything for you.

Soooo, somewhere in the middle is a fuzzy land where you are maybe midfoot striking, maybe light heel striking, maybe more forefoot striking. Depends on your running mechanics as well as speed and how far out of "neutral" you are.

My advice with kids shoes are to get some that last. I have a couple of kids that run, one is 11 and one is just 7. They both get a decent running shoe from whoever is running a good sale. The older one has preference to Nike and New Balance, but last year his preference was to neon green shoes. We've been through countless walmart shoes and he runs fine in them, but they wear out super fast. He is growing quickly, but still wears through shoes before outgrowing them.

Very hard to find good running shoes in a world where I walk into Foot Locker and say my kid wants to run some races and is looking for good running shoes and the dude says "Nike Shox...." and then I say, "have a nice day" and walk right out...

2015-09-04 7:25 PM
in reply to: #5138666

, Ontario
I have a son who has been running 5km races with me once and a while since he was 6 and we have had good luck with new balance runners. We were able to get new balanc runners for my daughter as of age 5 so I echoed there will be something you can find for her
2015-09-04 7:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I think if your very young child is running far enough that they need running shoes because their feet hurt they are running too far. 

I don't mean to be a party crasher, just be careful.  Mostly, in my mind, running at that age should be play.  

It's very hard to build a runner.....it's very easy to break one.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-04 7:54 PM
2015-09-07 7:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Yes, yes, yes get her some running shoes. It will help to prevent injury down the road in her life. Go run a five miler on pavement barefoot and see how you feel afterward.

Plus the new shoes will get her even more excited about running.

Edited by Nussy 2015-09-07 7:17 AM
2015-09-07 7:27 AM
in reply to: Nussy

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Brings back memories of my first pair--my dad refused to buy me real running shoes until I broke 6:00 for the mile. Finally made it just before turning 13, running 5:56 in my Kmart Blue Light Specials. For years I kept those first "real" shoes in a box in my closet, long after they'd worn out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes for kids - is it worth? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Does it matter what shoes kids run in?

Started by youthfulwarriormom
Views: 812 Posts: 12

2010-03-21 4:33 PM crazyquick23

Am I just kidding myself here?

Started by bmbeggan
Views: 1027 Posts: 3

2008-08-31 9:21 PM thelunchbox

Am I just kidding myself?

Started by johnboy69
Views: 2114 Posts: 22

2008-02-04 9:59 PM ranger5oh

worth it to upgrade bike shoes?

Started by awol
Views: 2362 Posts: 13

2006-06-09 12:10 AM Zev

Cycling shoes- worth it?

Started by blaise
Views: 2047 Posts: 21

2005-06-14 8:54 PM mtorment
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : July 9, 2009
comments : 0
How safe is it for children to participate in triathlons and other endurance events? Here are the opinions of several experts in the field.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.