Other Resources Challenge Me! » Ab / Core Challenge! Resurecting a zombie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-04 11:58 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Ab / Core Challenge! Resurecting a zombie?
I've been letting the training slide for too long so I'm trying to climb back into the saddle here. I was thinking back to some sets of core exercises that I did as part of an "ab challenge" when first getting started with triathlon. Digging waayy back in my logs, over 10 years, I found some of them. I couldn't find the challenge thread but as far as I can tell it went something like:
Your choice of any core exercises
Week #1 3x 10 min., Week #2 3x 15 min., Week #3 3x 18 min.,
Week #4 4x 15 min., Week #5 4x 18 min., Week #6 4x 20 min.

I gave it a trial run last night. This was the first time I've done these in a long time so I started with a short set and went slow and easy.
2x (10 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 20 bridged marching, 40 bicycles)
- marching: from a bridge position
(on back, feet pulled up near butt, raise middle to straighten from shoulders to knees)
hold the bridge, alternately straighten one leg, return it, then the other for 1 count.
- bicycles: on back, knees bent, feet raised and kept off the floor, cycle one leg out straight and back bent, then the other leg for a count of 1.

There should probably be some planks in there too.
I liked these exercises because they don't require any equipment. Feel free to suggest other good core exercises, or to modify your own times if this seems too easy or too hard. As I recall, the original challenge thread had some good links for example exercises and links are welcome here too.

This is not a team or rivalry type challenge, simply a personal challenge that you may choose to take on. I'm going to try to do this again, starting next week, September 7. It's just a 6 week schedule for anyone who wants to start later too.

2015-09-18 10:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ab / Core Challenge! Resurecting a zombie?
The challenging part for me is not so much doing the exercises, but making sure all the workouts get scheduled and done each week. The original plan was to do a core workout 3x each week for the first few weeks, just longer each week, so there was time for a recovery day between sessions. ... Ha! I sure messed that part up this week going 3 days in a row. At this rate it'll be easy to eventually go to 4x per week which forces at least one pair of workouts on subsequent days. Gotta admit the abs are a bit tender now, but partially because our masters swim coach has also been pushing core work during the swim sessions too. The plan next week calls for three eighteen minute workouts.

I guess this idea didn't fire up anyone else?

Note: the reference to a zombie was for the original challenge from over 10 years ago, not me getting moving again.

Edited by Micawber 2015-09-18 10:49 AM
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Ab / Core Challenge! Resurecting a zombie? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

January 2014 AB's Challenge Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by kns57
Views: 13555 Posts: 98

2014-02-07 5:17 PM Poupen

8 Minute Ab Challenge

Started by aplohris
Views: 3241 Posts: 11

2008-09-26 1:25 PM aplohris

Goal Thread PUSH UPS AND AB CHALLENGE DEC Pages: 1 2

Started by saling4
Views: 3838 Posts: 34

2007-12-10 9:35 AM atree

Ab challenge anyone?? Pages: 1 2

Started by annie
Views: 6872 Posts: 32

2016-03-24 10:36 AM joeysky1616

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5427 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : March 19, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Barbell Side Bend abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
Ab Bicycle abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.

Ab Roller abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video