General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweat Test: 40-50oz/hour. WTF? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-04 12:37 PM

Subject: Sweat Test: 40-50oz/hour. WTF?
I have done three sweat tests based on the formula on the Infinit Nutrition website. I recently switched to Infinit, and I am trying to get used to it (so far like it a lot). I have my first HIM October 3rd having done a half dozen Olympics, and I am trying to figure out how much I need to drink. The calculations I did were two rides and one run, one to two hours. I just can't believe the number. According to this, if it takes me 3.5hrs to do the bike in the HIM, I need about 7 water bottles. That seems crazy.

Now, here are some qualifiers:

-All three workouts were on hot, muggy days. Washington, DC in August is pretty brutal, so that certainly needs to be taken into account.
-I am big; 6'3" and 225. Lots of muscle and a little bit of belly.
-I feel like I am a mod to heavy sweater, but my only gauge is that I seem to be wetter than my running buddy at the end of a run, especially long ones.

I have noticed that in my previous long runs, I was probably drinking about half the recommended amount, and on most long rides, the same is true. It has hurt me in terms of cramping when done and a general 'bonk,' so maybe this is close to accurate.

Anyway, if anyone has some experience with this I would appreciate it. The HIM has me freaked out enough without having to worry about if I need a 5 gallon Camelbak...

2015-09-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: nickfreshman

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Sweat Test: 40-50oz/hour. WTF?

Are you asking about water needs, or Infinite nutrition needs?

2015-09-04 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Another sweat test to try. Weigh yourself before the workout. Ride your trainer in a 70 degree room for 1 hour. Use a fan for this workout and go at an aerobic pace. Take in liquids, just know how much you took in. Weigh yourself after. The difference is the amount you need to take in on top of what you already took in. I'm sure more experienced peeps will chime in. But this works pretty well for me and others I know.
2015-09-04 1:45 PM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, I run/ride in Las Vegas.  I have come back from long rides and literally be 7-10 lbs lighter.  Using "A pint's a pound, the world around", that's 224oz lost of sweat.  That's probably over 4 hours, so 40-50oz of water loss is not that crazy in my world.

BUT, that's hydration.  Has nothing to do with nutrition.  Body can only really deal with maybe 300 Kcal per hour, so drink enough calories to get to that (or slightly less) but drink enough H2O to get the rest in.

Obviously, it's based on conditions.  Ride in similar conditions as described?  Drink 40-50oz.  If it's cooler and you are not sweating?  Drink less.  I got to the point I really didn't keep track of ounces.  Just drank enough to never get thirsty (feel thirsty?  You are already dehydrated) but not so much to feel like is sloshing around in my belly. 

2015-09-04 1:49 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

Are you asking about water needs, or Infinite nutrition needs?

I'm sorry. I was asking about hydration. I have a pretty good sense of the Infinit, but the amount of water will factor into whether I concentrate it, etc.
2015-09-04 2:01 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
I tend to go through 5-7 bottles of liquid (20 ouncers) in ~2.5 hours on the bike, drink water at the aid stations on the run, and have yet to pee during or immediately after a HIM. Your mileage may vary but 140 ounces in 3.5 hours isn't extreme, that's why they put aid stations on the bike course. I'm not familiar with the Infinit sweat tests or recommendations but should say that replacing all the sweat you loose isn't necessary or probably advisable. I drink when I'm thirsty, not on a schedule, when it is hot and I'm working hard that can be quite a bit.

2015-09-04 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by nickfreshman

-All three workouts were on hot, muggy days. Washington, DC in August is pretty brutal, so that certainly needs to be taken into account.

And that is what stuck out most in your report.

Where is your HIM in October?

Will conditions be similar from your sweat test to race day?

When doing sweat tests, its best to test over a range of conditions, and know what you minimum and maximum needs are and then adjust on race day based on the conditions given.

Its a long process of trial and error, but each test lets you refine a bit more.
2015-09-04 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What you measured is you are losing about 3 lbs of liquids per hour. This is about what I lose in warm conditions. The question is how do you hydrate.

there are two schools of thought.

the first is to intentionally replace losts fluids.
I have heard people say they try to lose 0 weight. So 3.5hrs * 3 pounds = 10.5lbs or 7 x 24oz bottles. This is probably where you got that number
Others say that performance starts to be affected at 2% of weight loss. By that formula , at 225lbs, you can afford to lose 4.5 lbs. So you only need 6lbs or 4 bottles. Which in a 3.5 hour ride isn't too bad

the second school of thought is drink to thirst.

You really want to listen to this
http://www.enduranceplanet.com/dr-tim-noakes-and-dr-phil-maffetone-...

Noakes is a really smart guy

There is something called hyponatremia that is extremely dangerous. It is creating an imbalance of sodium by ingesting too much water. Some believe it can be avoided by taking tablets or other forms of sodium. Some say that doesn't help. I am sure the nutrition companies will say "no problem". Well an IM athlete died in Frankfurt this year because of that approach

listen to the podcast and do your research before you start drinking 7 bottles on that ride
2015-09-04 4:59 PM
in reply to: marcag

Thank you all.

I am doing Waterman's Half on the Eastern shore of Maryland, Oct. 3rd. It should be substantially cooler. I also tend to drink more to thirst, so I won't necessarily be guzzling seven bottles no matter what. I just wanted to have a rough gauge of what I should expect knowing that on race day, I will ultimately go with how I feel. I suppose I am just a bit anxious about doing all this training and then not getting this part right, but hey, that's part of the fun, right?

I am racing the Nation's Olympic next week which will be the first race with Infinit and it is usually pretty hot out there, so that will be another good trial run.

Four weeks to go...
2015-09-07 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I am roughly your size and am a heavy sweater. After tons of personal testing, my rough goal is to drink one bottle (25oz) per hour when on the bike. I will still lose about 3lbs with that formula on a 2-4hr ride, but I have seen no loss in performance. Your goal is not to make up for all the weight loss, just minimize it so it doesn't effect your performance. Trial and error my friend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweat Test: 40-50oz/hour. WTF? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sweat test

Started by CMR242
Views: 1205 Posts: 11

2015-07-24 8:08 AM chichitao

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4823 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

40 Days and 40 Nights until IMAZ

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 1254 Posts: 17

2005-03-01 4:33 PM trimom3

What is 40-30-30?

Started by vmax3000
Views: 1079 Posts: 4

2004-03-16 11:56 AM Lara

40-something and coming back after long hiatus

Started by jenniferlea
Views: 1135 Posts: 6

2003-09-03 4:55 PM 45tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
comments : 0
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.